Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radials, wider wheels, offset for 1963 Lark - help needed, please!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: Radials, wider wheels, offset for 1963 Lark - help needed, please!!!

Dear Club Members,

Hello. I have a '63 Lark, with stock 15" wheels (5" wide, 4.5" bolt pattern) and bias ply tires. I would really like to make it a safer ride and give it a little bit wider stance.

Not looking for the 205/75-15 replacements, but something a little wider.

Am looking for either 15" or 16", 6.5" width, with the same 4.5" bolt pattern. NEED HELP WITH THE OFFSET, which no tire/wheel dealers seem to know or care about anymore. I need something 1" to back, 1" to front, and 1.25" front-top-mount. OR... does someone know a current make that would work?

I know I can't be the only one who has moved away from the original wheel width.

Please respond with your wisdom and experience. I cannot thank you enough!!!

V/R,
    Chris - Sparrows Point, MD.

Lots of people do it every day. It's a must if you add disc brakes. Most recommend 15" Ford Crown Victoria or 15" Ford Ranger wheels so that the original wheel disc will work.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
      Lots of people do it every day. It's a must if you add disc brakes. Most recommend 15" Ford Crown Victoria or 15" Ford Ranger wheels so that the original wheel disc will work.
      I really appreciate that! Will they work if I keep my drums?

Comment

Yes, then when you decide to go with front disc brakes, you will all ready have the correct wheels. You can probably go with 225 or 235/75R15 tires.
        Originally posted by HissingElf View Post
        I really appreciate that! Will they work if I keep my drums?
        1950 Champion 4Dr
        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Chris, I used Wheel Vintiques 16X6 with 4" backspace (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wvi-12661204) on my 63 Lark Wagonaire with 215/65X16" tires and they work very well. There are several pictures in my profile albums under "New Shoes".
          Last edited by garrilla; 04-10-2016, 03:01 PM. Reason: cleaning up
          Gary

Comment

If you decide to use the ford wheels you will need to use a larger lug nut then the stock Studebaker nuts.
            Studebaker used 3/4" nuts, ford used 13/16" nuts. The Stude nuts will wallow out and eventually pull through the rim.
            Dorman wheel nut #611-131.1 is 1/2"-20 right hand thread, 13/16".
            #611-031.1 is 1/2"-20 left hand thread, 13/16".
            Check nut size with the wheel manufacturer if you use an after market wheel.
            The Ranger wheels are 6" wide.
            South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Not to hijack the tread, but what wheels are used on the cars at the PSMCD's?
              Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Also if you use radials, your toe-in can be tweaked down to 1/16" if you have good tie rod ends..
                64 GT Hawk (K7)
                1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

.....if your front springs are low (never replaced), expect tire rubbing and fender wear when dipping and turning....

Comment

I have the 16" wheels off the Crown Vic. The tire size is 225-60-16. The wheels work fine with drums on my '64 Lark Type. I don't seem to recall any real rubbing issues though I do need to state that the car now has a 350 Chevy and a 700RT4 trans. Combined they take about 175-200 pound off the front of the car. The tires are rather wide and without power steering are a bear to turn stationary on moving slow. But, since they came with the wheels... .

Also note that newer Crown Vic's used a wheel with a lot more offset towards the center of the car. These are older Crown Vic wheels. Here are a few pictures. 1. Close up, front. 2. Wide shot. 3. Crown Vic compared to Studebaker wheel (on car).
                    Attached Files
                    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Here is mine.

I have them all mounted now but do not have any pictures with me right now.

Comment

Not to hijack the thread, but I found these new steel wheels that are for 92-97 Crown Vics:

I assume these are the 15" Crown Vic wheels that keep getting mentioned? Will they fit my 1960 Lark with P 205 /75R15's? Can I still run the factory full wheel covers?

Thanks
                        ?Wanted: Power Steering Parts for a 60 Lark.

Comment

Yes on all counts. Full wheel covers will work. Dog dish caps would need to have some modifications made to work.
                          Originally posted by CJMiller View Post
                          Not to hijack the thread, but I found these new steel wheels that are for 92-97 Crown Vics:

I assume these are the 15" Crown Vic wheels that keep getting mentioned? Will they fit my 1960 Lark with P 205 /75R15's? Can I still run the factory full wheel covers?

Thanks
                          1950 Champion 4Dr
                          1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Years ago I used SS Cragar Mags. This was 1980. The back wheel had a Reverse lip and still cleared the fender. Back then, Cragar had universal bolt pattern wheels, just insert an offset washer. I took them off my 77 Trans Am and put them on my 64 Daytona.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	110.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	1705804
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by daytonadave; 06-01-2016, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CJMiller View Post

Thanks
                              I just put factory Crown Vic 15"x6.5" wheels on my '62 Hawk with 215-70-15 tires and stock wheel covers. They fit great, like Studebaker made it that way. Should fit the Lark the same, my '61 lark had the same stock wheels and tire size as my '62 Hawk. Wheel covers fit tight and true, the dog dish covers won't fit but there is a second different Vic wheel center, same wheel but with no bumps for hub cap. I have a set of those I'm modding to fit the dog dish to use on my '53 with the same tires.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160405_115530.jpg
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	1704759Click image for larger version

Name:	20160405_115509.jpg
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	1704760

Why did my pics flip upside down?
                              Last edited by bensherb; 04-14-2016, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X