53 Coupe interior door trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53 Coupe interior door trim

I am restoring my Dad's 53 Champion Coupe which he bought used in '57 when I was three years old. I don't remember much about the original interior. He refreshed it in the early 60's and had leather panels and seat colors installed in the 80's.

I would like to find the curved chrome (or stainless?) moulding / trim pieces that can be seen in Bridges's "Studebaker's Finest", and other sources. I would also like to have the 'continuation' moulding pieces that mount on the rear side panels above the rear arm rests. Can someone kindly suggest a source? I am not sure what the part numbers are.

Also, we are rebuilding the 289 engine (the car's 3rd engine). This 289 was a short block sourced from Newman Altman in the mid-late 60's as surplus for 64 Gt Hawk.

I am am looking for a good source for a camshaft for this engine.

Thanks for for your help.

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum William!

Unfortunately I believe those were only sold as part of the Door and Quarter Trim Panels.

But some used panels in rough shape with good mouldings should be available at swap meets, networking with Local SDC Chapter Members etc.

Or advertise with a wanted Ad here: http://www.studebakerswap.com/swap/swap.php
    Last edited by StudeRich; 04-03-2016, 07:16 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Your 289 was, of course, not the original engine. The '53 Champion was equipped with the 170 cid Six. Have you joined the SDC? It seems you will be needing more support than can be supplied here.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

New Camshafts are no longer available. Also New replacements.

Your Cam can be re-ground to stock or if you are looking for a Performance Camshaft, it can be exchanged for an Avanti R1/R2 regrind or an R2 Plus at a loss of low RPM Power.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Many thanks for the reply and information.

Comment

Many thanks for the reply. I'm a technically challenged and relatively unskilled life long Studebaker lover. Restoration in hands of a professional shop (100's of Chevies, 10's of Studes). Local SDC chapter has 5-6 very knowledgeable and skilled guys to rely on. Car complete and I was driving at least once per week until family health issues intervened 10 years ago. Would appreciate any tips on source for 289 camshaft that I or builder can follow up on.

Comment

I might have some of the trim needed on some old panels I have and will look today and get back to you...Bob
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

Thanks for the tips on the 289 cam. I struck gold with Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker. Still looking for interior trim as described above.

Comment

I looked today but what I figured I had is gone so nothing here sorry, good luck.
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

Thanks for checking, Candbstudebakers. I appreciate it. I will keep looking.

Comment

I have a complete set of upper and lower door paner moldings, and the rear 1/4 pieces. I was hanging onto them but my car isnt being built stock.
                      1955 Champion Coupe ('53 clone) project. Hawk Dash 160 speedo, tach, vac. Torque Thrusts.

Comment

Originally posted by 53 Coupe View Post
                        Thanks for checking, Candbstudebakers. I appreciate it. I will keep looking.
                        I checked again today and found the 2 rear ones, the panels were junk bout saved the 4 pieces of stainless trim.
                        Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

My door panels are no good but the stainless trim is nice. I have the complete set from a 53 Commander that I am parting. I do have a few extra pieces also, if interested.
                          1955 Champion Coupe ('53 clone) project. Hawk Dash 160 speedo, tach, vac. Torque Thrusts.

Comment

Originally posted by 53 Coupe View Post
                            I am restoring my Dad's 53 Champion Coupe which he bought used in '57 when I was three years old. I don't remember much about the original interior. He refreshed it in the early 60's and had leather panels and seat colors installed in the 80's.

I would like to find the curved chrome (or stainless?) moulding / trim pieces that can be seen in Bridges's "Studebaker's Finest", and other sources. I would also like to have the 'continuation' moulding pieces that mount on the rear side panels above the rear arm rests. Can someone kindly suggest a source? I am not sure what the part numbers are.

Also, we are rebuilding the 289 engine (the car's 3rd engine). This 289 was a short block sourced from Newman Altman in the mid-late 60's as surplus for 64 Gt Hawk.

I am am looking for a good source for a camshaft for this engine.

Thanks for for your help.
                            I may have some panel pieces and parts...I bought a load of stuff from an abandoned project to get a windshield. It was all off a '53 Champ hardtop, supposedly. I'll see if I can find it and get pics.
                            -------------------
                            Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

Comment

I think I can help you. Dwayne 7155727292

Coupe or hardtop
                              Dwayne Jacobson

Comment

Working...
                              X