Ignition switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Ignition switch?

Nothing like a morning car problem diagnosis. I got in my car, 60 Lark VI, and turned the key and it cranked, but kept cranking even after the key went back to off. It kept cranking even after I turned the key to the accessory position and I tried moving the key to the right and left a few times to possibly unjam it.
    I was in the process of getting to the battery cable when it stopped on its own.

Should I expect this to just be an ignition switch replacement? I've not had any problems prior to this morning.

If the starter solenoid is sticking you could put a short jumper between the wire that comes from the switch to the solenoid then try to start the car. If it continues to crank unclip the jumper. If it continues to crank with the solenoid disconnected then the solenoid is getting stuck, if it stops cranking then it could possibly be the ign switch.

Treblig

Comment

Hm. I never thought about checking the solenoid. I forgot that needs to be oiled.

Comment

if you find out its the solenoid-just replace it with a Ford unit or vendor here. Skip the oil....

Comment

Since it stopped before you yanked the cable-throw a solenoid on it, it just finally "unwelded" the contacts before you had a chance to. Save the oil for the muffler bearing. I've had that happen several times on a few different cars and it always turned out to be the solenoid. It may not do it the next time you run the car but it will raise its ugly head again, when you are wearing a suite and you don't have wrenches to pull the cable. Ignition switches, when they go bad usually fail to carry enough current to trigger the solenoid, and you keep changing batteries thinking that's the problem. Any 12 volt Ford style solenoid will work with 2 big posts and two small posts, available at any FLAPS (made in china of course).

Comment

.....I must have saved 3-4 of these solenoids (originals) in parted out cars. I always kept them in the vehicle on longer rides...just incase they were a "real" Chinese piece. I think around $12-15.

Comment

Thank you. Off to the store I go.

Comment

Wellllll, looks like it isn't the solenoid. I replaced it, checked the battery, because I wasn't sure if that got zapped, but it's nearly full but after replacing the solenoid, the key doesn't engage to the right and the lights do come on in the accessory position and when I strongly wiggle the key up and down in the slot I can get a sound that the solenoid is trying to open and close, but still, no movement from the starter.
                I have a replacement ignition switch, so tomorrow evening I'll crawl under and futz with that.

Comment

Working...
                X