Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2018 International Meet

Speedster Member
    Blog Entries
    cultural infedel :

just to let everyone else that reads this blurb my last comments were aimed directly at you with no harm intended . I am positive that James and his group will do a fantastic job with this new format for the 2018 meet.

Old fart

Silver Hawk Member studeclunker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HAWK64 View Post
    Why not have it in Australia - there are enough SDC members here!!
    Because this is the Studebaker Driver's Club, not the Amphicar club!
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Silver Hawk Member studeclunker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by old fart View Post
    Hi Folks :

I see by some of the comments that some of our members just don't get it still ,I have been watching this subject since 1988 , we are a dying breed . If you want to attract younger members you DO NOT hold meets in late June or early September . School is still either in and exams are in progress or school is just starting . When are our members with this idea ever going to learn . When I found out that one of our local all makes show was being cancelled after thirty-five years I had to find out why . Guess what it was the same old attitude that our members have about late spring early fall show times , When will people realize the same old crap doesn't always work and think , other opinions just might have some merit .Just an opinion from a long time member .

Old Fart
    That being the case, don't hold a meet in the PSSRC (AKA; California) because August is opressively hot and it's crap shoot for oppresive heat in September. Then again, if it was held in one of the larger Malls in So. Cal. that might work out nicely.

At any rate, I'm rather excited to see it is going to be a more do-able distance for me. Who knows? I might even have Bess going (don't hold your breath)!
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

I can't help but chuckle when I read comments about the IM's. One person says, "Don't hold it in June," another says, "You can't hold it in May," someone else chimes in and says, "September is no good," etc. The fact is, we all have our own personal rhythms and lives, and no matter when it is scheduled it will be inconvenient for someone. I was at South Bend last week with the rain, the wind, and temperatures in the 30's at night...sleeping in a tent. We are always at the mercy of Mother Nature, regardless of the "averages," so don't let that fool you either. I say, give the meet planners as much leeway as possible and trust their judgement. Then, start working on hosting the next IM in your chapter! I'll be there if at all possible!
    Mike Davis
    Regional Manager, North Carolina
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Because the meet travels around the country shoot for the best weather in that area. That's just one mans thought.

Commander Member
    I like to read about the 2018 SDC Meet .
    I will try to come over even it is a horrible long flight. Unfortunately I can not take my car with me, the shipping costs and shipping duration are too high.
    But hey, I want to see all the Studebaker, so I come to the next Meet (if I can find payable flights and get holiday from my company)

Quote Originally Posted by StudeNewby View Post
    I can't help but chuckle when I read comments about the IM's. One person says, "Don't hold it in June," another says, "You can't hold it in May," someone else chimes in and says, "September is no good," etc. The fact is, we all have our own personal rhythms and lives, and no matter when it is scheduled it will be inconvenient for someone. I was at South Bend last week with the rain, the wind, and temperatures in the 30's at night...sleeping in a tent. We are always at the mercy of Mother Nature, regardless of the "averages," so don't let that fool you either. I say, give the meet planners as much leeway as possible and trust their judgement. Then, start working on hosting the next IM in your chapter! I'll be there if at all possible!
    Staying in a tent! You are a brave man. The Singer building where our swap space was had enough discomfort for me. Cold, rain, wind, and tents are not a good combination.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.

Quote Originally Posted by 52-fan View Post
    Staying in a tent! You are a brave man. The Singer building where our swap space was had enough discomfort for me. Cold, rain, wind, and tents are not a good combination.
    I quit using tents a long time ago, mainly due to rain and all the noise the tents let in. I now sleep in my car, and have actually found that laying the driver's seat back down, and putting a bean bag on the passenger side, I can stretch out quite well and get comfortable.

President Member
    Bump....anything?
    Bill Foy
    1000 Islands, Ontario
    1953 Starlight Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by gsx_martin View Post
    I like to read about the 2018 SDC Meet .
    I will try to come over even it is a horrible long flight. Unfortunately I can not take my car with me, the shipping costs and shipping duration are too high.
    But hey, I want to see all the Studebaker, so I come to the next Meet (if I can find payable flights and get holiday from my company)
    (Opinion)
    I think you will find this to be an exceptional International Meet to attend..
    If you think about 'pockets of concentration' of Studebakers... The far northwest is indeed one of those pockets.
    I predict participants bringing Studebakers will be very high in Tacoma...
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gsx_martin View Post
    You can get to Seattle via Frankfurt on Icelandic Air for $1000 in less than twelve hours. Both British Air from London and Lufthansa will be better service, but more expensive. See you there.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    The 2018 IM leader team met last month to tour the grounds of America's Car Museum and one of the three primary hotels. The Land Cruiser has left the garage and is starting to gather speed. We're looking forward to having a great meet.

Mark Laskowski
    President, North Puget Sound Chapter SDC
    2018 IM Publicity/Marketing Team
    May I suggest that you post AT LEAST the exact dates and location (Tacoma) of the meet on the Events page of the SDC main web site? With only a year to go (and the dates and city known for some time), there is no excuse for the the SDC web page to still show "TBD" for next year's meet.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Lackie View Post
    May I suggest that you post AT LEAST the exact dates and location (Tacoma) of the meet on the Events page of the SDC main web site? With only a year to go (and the dates and city known for some time), there is no excuse for the the SDC web page to still show "TBD" for next year's meet.
    no kiddin Skip , there hasn't been any hotel phone numbers for us looking to book rooms either ...... kind of strange

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

President Member
    I could give you some of the bits of information that have been made available to us, but nothing comprehensive. The three go to guys are James Bell, Lou Cote, or Bob Bryant. Call or Email and have them get together and post something. They may have already posted the information that you want, but I don't know where.

President Member studebaker-R2-4-me's Avatar
    How about a date? I've got American friends that are planning/thinking of showing up on the west coast sometime in the summer of 2018 for this meet and are starting to cue to drive one of my cars.

Allen

1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
    (Opinion)
    I think you will find this to be an exceptional International Meet to attend..
    If you think about 'pockets of concentration' of Studebakers... The far northwest is indeed one of those pockets.
    I predict participants bringing Studebakers will be very high in Tacoma...

For those who are concerned, the 2018 International Meet, the meet is in Tacoma, Washington, and the dates are August 29-31, September 1, 2018 (Wednesday-Saturday). As you will note there is not (yet) a separate topic for the 2018 International Meet. That will be coming shortly. Details are still not complete, but an announcement of the dates and host hotel will be announced in the October issue of Turning Wheels.

Denny Foust
    SDC International Meet Committee Chairman

studeguy54@verizon.net

Speedster Member
    Indeed, it will be a beautiful meet in a beautiful location. August 29-31, September 1, Tacoma, Washington

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    The 2018 IM leader team met last month to tour the grounds of America's Car Museum and one of the three primary hotels. The Land Cruiser has left the garage and is starting to gather speed. We're looking forward to having a great meet.

Mark Laskowski
    President, North Puget Sound Chapter SDC
    2018 IM Publicity/Marketing Team
    For those who are concerned, the 2018 International Meet, the meet is in Tacoma, Washington, and the dates are August 29-31, September 1, 2018 (Wednesday-Saturday). As you will note there is not (yet) a separate topic for the 2018 International Meet. That will be coming shortly. Details are still not complete, but an announcement of the dates and host hotel will be announced in the October issue of Turning Wheels.

Denny Foust

studeguy54@verizon.net

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip Lackie View Post
    Please note my comments further in this topic. The date have been set for August 29-31, September 1, 2018, in Tacoma, Washington. The October issue of Turning Wheels will have more details..

Denny Foust

studeguy54@verizon.net

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by studeguy54 View Post
    Please note my comments further in this topic. The date have been set for August 29-31, September 1, 2018, in Tacoma, Washington. The October issue of Turning Wheels will have more details..

Denny Foust

studeguy54@verizon.net
    Denny-
    My point was that basic info about upcoming IMs should be posted on the main SDC web site as soon as it is known -- and not have to await the development of all details about the meet. I have a rough idea of the difficulty of putting together an IM, and also know that the number of chapters willing to sponsor one is dwindling.

At a time when recruiting new members is a major focus of the club, the SDC home page web site should be the front door to the club for anyone new to Studebakers, as well as a useful tool for members. An internet home page that includes a lot of dead links, incorrect info, and/or "TBDs" is a sign of a dying organization. The board of directors should ensure that someone is responsible to making sure that the home page is kept up to date. This might include bugging others to provide the latest info.
    Last edited by Skip Lackie; 08-12-2017 at 10:40 AM.
    Skip Lackie

Golden Hawk Member
    Will the vending be set up at the Lemay museum as well?

Plenty of time to plan and figure it out.. I'm just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by mbstude View Post
    Will the vending be set up at the Lemay museum as well?
    Plenty of time to plan and figure it out.. I'm just curious.
    We have not heard as yet.

But knowing that there are three, yes-- count 'em-- THREE hotels involved---
    it ought to be 'interesting' to see how it all goes down.
    I'm gunna leave my other thoughts/opinions to myself.

I'll try to remember to ask James what (if any) info he can give us about vending.
    Our Chapter's monthly meeting is tomorrow.

StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StudeDave57 View Post

We have not heard as yet.

But knowing that there are three, yes-- count 'em-- THREE hotels involved---
    it ought to be 'interesting' to see how it all goes down.
    I'm gunna leave my other thoughts/opinions to myself.

I'll try to remember to ask James what (if any) info he can give us about vending.
    Our Chapter's monthly meeting is tomorrow.

We're tentatively planning on driving from Florida with a load of parts to sell.

Thanks Dave, keep us posted.

Champion Member
    Hmmm....Sept. 2018 gives me 13 months to get my first Studebaker, a 55 1/2 ton, road worthy. I can do it, I can do it, I can do it......

We'll be going to Tacoma, though I think we'll fly since it's 3077 miles by car. My great-grandfather arrived there in 1870 when the population was 73 people. Here he is (on the right) with a bunch of his friendly hop pickers, ready to greet you!

Joe Geiger 1888 -2 small.jpg
    Last edited by garyash; 08-14-2017 at 10:33 PM.
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Silver Hawk Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Studejohnn View Post
    Hmmm....Sept. 2018 gives me 13 months to get my first Studebaker, a 55 1/2 ton, road worthy. I can do it, I can do it, I can do it......
    Here is some incentive... This '55 1/2 Ton Canadian built truck (185 six with a 3 speed) showed up yesterday at our annual summer BBQ. It has sat in a nearby farmers field from 1973 to 2016 when it was purchased and made into a driver!

20170813_140123.jpg
    Mark Hayden
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    '66 Commander

Regional Manager
    British Columbia

http://studebaker.ca/ - BC Coastal Chapter
    www.bcsouthintsdc.ca - BC Southern Interior Chapter
    http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ - Vancouver Island Chapter

That is a GREAT looking '55 Mark! I like the square Fog Lights and the unique location of the Class "A" Turn Signals!

Just beautiful, all it needs is a Set of $300.00 Repro Chrome Hub Caps.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by garyash View Post
    We'll be going to Tacoma, though I think we'll fly since it's 3077 miles by car. My great-grandfather arrived there in 1870 when the population was 73 people. Here he is (on the right) with a bunch of his friendly hop pickers, ready to great you!

Joe Geiger 1888 -2 small.jpg
    Perhaps he was ready to greet people (couldn't resist, because you know me) <G>.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Speedster Member
    I too like the idea of a Power tour from the east. I-90/94 goes through Wisconsin. I'll join it when you pass through. Seattle/Tacoma is about 2000 miles on the head from Milwaukee. I-90 through South Dakota and the Black hills is more scenic than I-94 through Minneapolis and North Dakota. I'm in.
    james r pepper

Champion Member
    Good gosh, that's a beauty. Setting the bar really high, Mark!

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Studejohnn View Post
    Good gosh, that's a beauty. Setting the bar really high, Mark!
    Looks better in the photo than up close, tho' it is now a good driver. It had a tree growing through it when rescued last year. The owner welded a lot of replacement metal into the truck, so he gave it a quick home paint job so that it would be 1 colour. New windshield and hub caps are in the works!
    Mark Hayden
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    '66 Commander

Regional Manager
    British Columbia

http://studebaker.ca/ - BC Coastal Chapter
    www.bcsouthintsdc.ca - BC Southern Interior Chapter
    http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ - Vancouver Island Chapter

Champion Member
    Seems like the Pacific North West here in Washington is a foreign country or something at times cause a lot of what happens in the East or the Republic Of California. and e'er forgotten I for one will take 2018.

I am looking forward to 2018 in Tacoma. Should be retired by then, and cannot think of a better way to celebrate. Hopefully, we can put together a caravan of Stude drivers, coming from all points east. For example, folks coming from New York, Florida, and Kentucky could all rendezvous somewhere along the way and travel most of the way together, to and from. If not, in 2005 I drove the trip alone in a 56J, Kentucky to Spokane and back, and can do it again

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    This will be the first time it since I joined the club that this meet will be close enough to me I can take some time off work and go. This is at the beginning of the school year and I am always busy preparing my transportation department to start running school bus routes and lots of class trips. That in addition to the distance has always made this event impossible for me.
    I am very excited about going this year. My brother Bill will be attending as well. He lives just up the road from Tacoma in Marysville. He recently picked up a good running '57 Golden Hawk from a seller in Indianapolis and is in the process of doing a frame off restoration.
    So, I have my room booked and getting my car in top form. Hurray!
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

President Member
    To Mrs. JYD. Here in the Browns Republic of California. I can not remember any SDC National Meets.

International Meets in Calif. were were in Long Beach, Calif. at the Queen Mary, I believe in 1979 and again in 1989, then another in Sacramento in 20??.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

It looks as if several folks are linking up to ride AMTRAK out there. For info, check with Joan Lemke to get on the right train jmlemke at Comcast. net (written this way to irritate robotic hackers) She will be on the Empire Builder (starting in St. Paul, MN), but it starts in Chicago and that is a major hub for connecting trains from the south and east. That would be a neat trip through the Rocky Mountains.

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post
    International Meets in Calif. were were in Long Beach, Calif. at the Queen Mary, I believe in 1979 and again in 1989, then another in Sacramento in 20??.
    Close on the dates.
    Long Beach was in 1979 and 1996. I really liked it there (and that was coming to the convention from New York State).
    1989 was in Las Vegas, Nev. (I was there and liked that also.).
    Sacramento was in 2003.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

This is gonna be huge!

President Member
    Looking forward to the event in Tacoma! At the Karel Staple chapter meeting yesterday there was a significant showing of hands from those planning on going.

If you have a desire to come to California, consider the Pacific Southwest Zone Meet June 13-14 2019. It will be held in the Sacramento area and will be timed to align with the 75th Running of the John M Studebaker Wheelbarrow Race held in Placerville on Father's Day June 15. Placerville is where John M built wheelbarrows during the gold rush and acquired the stake that funded the fledgling Studebaker Corporation. The City of Placerville truly celebrates Studebaker as a favorite son. Event details to come and will certainly be available at the IM in Tacoma..
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611