increasing 259 power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
    I still have the 53. It was in the middle of a build and I had a heart attack. So work stopped March the 20th. (picture posted below) The 259 came out of a 55. It's a coupe, and it has a R1 engine (might need to sell the R1 also) I didn't go ahead with the 259 because I ran across a R1. I can't do much of anything til after March this year. And I am 71. So I won't be building the 259, which I have a NOS crankshaft for also (forgot to mention) Yea, JimmiJim lives in Dothan and I live just above Montgomery. Here's the state of the 53:

I love the look of a hardtop, but a coupe is a much better road car. Quieter. Have you done any modifications to the front end, i.e. steering and brakes?? I don't know the differences between a regular 289 and an R series. I had an R2 Avanti and the blower bearings burned up back when there was no one to rebuild them. I swapped the heads for a set of R1s from Altman & Newman and changed the carb. It ran o.k. for another 20 years until a freeze plug failed and I cooked it. My brother rebuilt it with a .030 punch and a cam change. It would absolutely scream when he got done. It ran quicker than when it had the factory set-up and blower. Always loved that car right up to the day when my disloyal spouse divorced me and the decree required me to sell it. I could be interested in the R1. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2053.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	1703808Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0310.jpg
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	1703809Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2057.jpg
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1703810 Ain't she purrrrrty ! I'm 75 and had my heart attack back in 2000. I finally quit work in 2012.
    Last edited by colt45sa; 02-11-2016, 03:37 PM. Reason: need to add a comment

Comment

Originally posted by colt45sa View Post
      I love the look of a hardtop, but a coupe is a much better road car. Quieter. Have you done any modifications to the front end, i.e. steering and brakes?? I don't know the differences between a regular 289 and an R series. I had an R2 Avanti and the blower bearings burned up back when there was no one to rebuild them. I swapped the heads for a set of R1s from Altman & Newman and changed the carb. It ran o.k. for another 20 years until a freeze plug failed and I cooked it. My brother rebuilt it with a .030 punch and a cam change. It would absolutely scream when he got done. It ran quicker than when it had the factory set-up and blower. Always loved that car right up to the day when my disloyal spouse divorced me and the decree required me to sell it. I could be interested in the R1. [ATTACH=CONFIG]51403[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]51404[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]51405[/ATTACH] Ain't she purrrrrty ! I'm 75 and had my heart attack back in 2000. I finally quit work in 2012.
      Was Jimmyjims car decent? I saw it advertised somewhere on the internet for $24,000. I called him to tell him how much I liked it and just chat. He said 'make an offer' which I didn't do because what I was prepared to pay was so far under his asking price. Next thing I know its on Ebay with a buy it now of $19,000. I put it on my watch list. In not time the bidding was at $10,000 and got stuck. Since the bidding was to go on for several days I didn't look at it every day. The next time I looked, it was gone. First he dropped the reserve, and next let it go to the guy who had bid the $10,000??????????????????????? The figure I had in mind based on what I could see was $14,000. I don't know what was going thru his mind, but it was a shock to me when I saw what it sold for.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        Very nice looking '53 Coupe.
        So a real Avanti "R" numbered Engine is in there now with ignition shielding, 10.25 compression R1 Heads and all?
        What Transmission?
        Yep it was a complete R1. I changed the water manifold and pullies so I could use the 53 fan shroud and accessories. Used a aftermarket carb. Used thick head gaskets to drop the compression to about 9.75 and the rest is all 63 Avanti. Transmission is T86 with overdrive.

Last edited by Flashback; 02-11-2016, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by colt45sa View Post
          I love the look of a hardtop, but a coupe is a much better road car. Quieter. Have you done any modifications to the front end, i.e. steering and brakes?? I don't know the differences between a regular 289 and an R series. I had an R2 Avanti and the blower bearings burned up back when there was no one to rebuild them. I swapped the heads for a set of R1s from Altman & Newman and changed the carb. It ran o.k. for another 20 years until a freeze plug failed and I cooked it. My brother rebuilt it with a .030 punch and a cam change. It would absolutely scream when he got done. It ran quicker than when it had the factory set-up and blower. Always loved that car right up to the day when my disloyal spouse divorced me and the decree required me to sell it. I could be interested in the R1. [ATTACH=CONFIG]51403[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]51404[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]51405[/ATTACH] Ain't she purrrrrty ! I'm 75 and had my heart attack back in 2000. I finally quit work in 2012.
          She is very purty. Wish mine was that far along. Front suspension on my 53 is all rebuilt original. Brakes are Turner disc. front, and S-10 disc in real, dual m/c.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
            Here's the way I increased the power of my little 259............................

Wow, is that a '55? It looks deceptively stock! Is that a sedan, coupe or hardtop? Any hood modification required? Any pictures showing more of it?

Mark
            sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Hi Colt45sa,

" (Smokey) speaks of building a small displacement Indy motor with the longest rod he could stuff in it. Normally aspirated, it made close to 1000 HP. "

Are you sure about the normally aspirated? That sure sounds like his twin turbo Indy engine.

regards,

Dan T

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Timberlake View Post
                Hi Colt45sa,

" (Smokey) speaks of building a small displacement Indy motor with the longest rod he could stuff in it. Normally aspirated, it made close to 1000 HP. "

Are you sure about the normally aspirated? That sure sounds like his twin turbo Indy engine.

regards,

Dan T

I'll try to dig out the name of the book and page number for you. Its quite a book !

Comment

Working...
                X