Need to value a '69 Avanti II to sell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to value a '69 Avanti II to sell

Happy Holidays, all. Long story, but I have a 1969 Avanti II to sell. I have no idea how to price the beast. Here are some specifics:

1. First, the undercarriage and hog troughs are in perfect condition
    2. Approx. 25K miles
    3. Needs Paint but never damaged
    4. Interior could use a small amount of TLC but is in good shape
    5. Engine is excellent and compartment is neat
    6. Glass is in great condition
    7. #RQA-0307
    8. 300HP 327

The car is in Florida. Any experience or wisdom is welcomed. Be well and have a great weekend.

John
    Cell 321-298-1118

you could try this. It is high for drivers as it tries to measure the value of collectible cars. Yours is likely a number 4 on this scale.

78 Avanti RQB 2792
    64 Avanti R1 R5408
    63 Avanti R1 R4551
    63 Avanti R1 R2281
    62 GT Hawk V15949
    56 GH 6032504
    56 GH 6032588
    55 Speedster 7160047
    55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Originally posted by pjbonthebeach View Post
      Happy Holidays, all. Long story, but I have a 1969 Avanti II to sell. I have no idea how to price the beast. Here are some specifics:

1. First, the undercarriage and hog troughs are in perfect condition
      2. Approx. 25K miles
      3. Needs Paint but never damaged
      4. Interior could use a small amount of TLC but is in good shape
      5. Engine is excellent and compartment is neat
      6. Glass is in great condition
      7. #RQA-0307
      8. 300HP 327

The car is in Florida. Any experience or wisdom is welcomed. Be well and have a great weekend.

John
      Cell 321-298-1118
      A few pictures would help. Generally a II needing paint and interior work brings the value down a fair amount. Paint will easily cost $3-4K at a minimum. The good news is the underside is good another expensive problem if required. At best $7-10K depending on it's needs as a ball park.

They have just never been expensive cars when not in pristine condition and even then unless something special under $20K

Bob
      Last edited by sweetolbob; 12-26-2015, 06:42 PM.

Comment

The early 'A' series Avanti ll's are more interesting and collectible than the later models, mainly because they are basically a 1964 Studebaker Avanti.

The 300 horse 327 is also a more desirable engine than the Chevy engines used in the later Avanti ll's.

If I owned it, I'd ask at least 12-15K for your rather rare, low mileage Avanti ll!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
          The early 'A' series Avanti ll's are more interesting and collectible than the later models, mainly because they are basically a 1964 Studebaker Avanti.

The 300 horse 327 is also a more desirable engine than the Chevy engines used in the later Avanti ll's.

If I owned it, I'd ask at least 12-15K for your rather rare, low mileage Avanti ll!
          That's my figure also since I own a 67 and not many 66-70 were built so any one in the 60's should be worth more than most think, mine has the 300 hp 327 but with a TB 400 trans.
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

So would I and the original poster may want to do that but asking price doesn't reflect market price. I'd be very interested to see a couple of 69 II's that sold for $12.9K or so in the last few years in #4 condition.

You can tell the accuracy of the Hagerty numbers by the fact they list them with a 350 SBC.

But again, a few pictures might help in the discussion, or put it on Ebay with a $12-15K reserve, pick a value, and see where it goes with a reasonable start price. I'd personally wait until spring to sell but that's just me. If it doesn't sell you know the value at that time and you're out a couple of hundred bucks for the data.

Bob
            Last edited by sweetolbob; 12-27-2015, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Agree. The low mileage and the 300 hp/327 are real pluses. But I agree that paint is gonna cost at least $3-4K, depending on how much prep work is required. You could ask for $15K but be prepared to settle for less.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

I am a plugged-in car guy and can get the car painted (correctly) for 2000-2500. Avantis are not difficult cars to sand and prep. However, Since the rear window would need to be removed in order to paint properly, can I get a new seal for a reasonable price? Also, with the new paint, do you think that will bring a better return?

Thank you, all, for the excellent advice. BTW, Somebody make me an offer as-is or painted. I will try to post some pics in the next couple of days.

John

Comment

Originally posted by pjbonthebeach View Post
                  I am a plugged-in car guy and can get the car painted (correctly) for 2000-2500. Avantis are not difficult cars to sand and prep. However, Since the rear window would need to be removed in order to paint properly, can I get a new seal for a reasonable price? Also, with the new paint, do you think that will bring a better return?

Thank you, all, for the excellent advice. BTW, Somebody make me an offer as-is or painted. I will try to post some pics in the next couple of days.

John
                  JMHO, but sell it as is, where is. Trying to primp a car for sale is difficult to get a return on investment of out-of-pocket, never mind time and effort. Sell the dream and let the new owner struggle with the ugly realities of what it costs to do it correctly.

(Agree, Avanti are not difficult to sand and prep. Disagree, I've been a plugged-in car guy for fifty years and wouldn't have clue as to how and where to get an Avanti painted correctly for $2,000, even if I did all the disassembly and reassembly.)

Question - did you mention which transmission it has? If automatic, which, as IIRC, Avanti used both TH350 and TH400?

jack vines
                  Last edited by PackardV8; 12-27-2015, 09:35 AM.
                  PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post

...or put it on Ebay with a $12-15K reserve, pick a value, and see where it goes with a reasonable start price. I'd personally wait until spring to sell but that's just me. If it doesn't sell you know the value at that time and you're out a couple of hundred bucks for the data.

Bob
                    Actually, if it doesn't meet reserve and doesn't sell, there would be no fee on eBay. If it sells, the fee is a flat rate of $125...

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/motorfees.html

One of the best deals going. You get the most "eyes" on your ad of anyplace going...internet or non internet. Worldwide. You can pretty much be certain that what it bids to IS the market value IF...

Your listing is well written with ALL the details, including the warts. You include lots of high resolution (no cell phone) pictures of the overall car, interior, undercarriage, engine compartment, etc. A video of it running and driving helps even more.

If it doesn't meet your reserve, you can decide to make a "second chance offer" to the top bidders, or you can decide to keep it, or you can decide to run it again with a more realistic reserve.

Also I agree with Jack on the paint job. A cheap paint job is not going to help it bring additional money. It will knock out more buyers than it attracts.
                    Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

John - Welcome to the SDC Forum!
                      I have sold a few Avantis, worked on many and tend to track actual sales prices, not asking prices.
                      My guesstimate based on what has been presented is $8000 as-is and $10,000 with a new paint job and a reasonable interior. Note that these are sales prices, ask a little more so that you can come down.
                      The best way to determine price in today's market is a good eBay listing. Put a good, honest description in the listing along with a low starting price to get the auction going and a reserve price that you can live with.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

My guesstimate based on what has been presented is $8000 as-is
                        At that price range, it's good that this car is located at the far end of the earth. If it were here in the northwest, I might be writing a check and risking divorce for adding another project car. Avanti are SOOO undervalued for what they are and can be.

jack vines
                        PackardV8

Comment

New rear window seals are $90 plus shipping.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

So if no one of you chanced a look yet...

Here is RQA-0307 from 2007

64 GT Hawk (K7)
                            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Yep, same car. It was in a private collection (climate controlled) and has not changed since that time. It was maintained but never really driven. Even the wheels still have their factory shine.

Comment

Working...
                              X