New to me motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to me motor

Today we drove down to Danville VA to pick up the 1963 259 full flow motor for the lark. The gentle men I purchased it from was very helpful and I learned a few things too.

So now I'm off to the garage to go clean and replace every gasket I can get my hands on before it goes in the car.
    "trying to save them from the crusher one at a time"

Cool! Might as well plan on doing the Rear Main Seal as well, while the Oil Pan is off, also replace the 6 Core Plugs with Brass and never have to deal with them again.

That gives you the opportunity to drain, flush and clean the Goop, Rust, Casting Wire and Casting SAND out of the Block.

I am really heping you enjoy this job, Huh?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      ... also replace the 6 Core Plugs with Brass and never have to deal with them again.
      And while they are off, pick and clean as much of the internal water jacket crud from the original casting.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        Cool! Might as well plan on doing the Rear Main Seal as well, while the Oil Pan is off, also replace the 6 Core Plugs with Brass and never have to deal with them again.

That gives you the opportunity to drain, flush and clean the Goop, Rust, Casting Wire and Casting SAND out of the Block.

I am really heping you enjoy this job, Huh?

your right, may as well do it while its out. I don't want to do any of this again unless I truly have too.

Comment

Be sure to service the oil pressure bypass valve piston and spring.
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I just heard from a friend with a 64 Barracuda. He bought it many years ago.
            The engine came with the car, he never heard it run.
            After years of sitting he tried starting it without going through it, or doing any preliminary checking.
            A valve went through a piston. He figures a stuck or bent valve.
            In other words look it over carefully before firing your new motor.
            South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Well in the next few weeks I plan to break the motor down clean it up make sure nothing is stuck(valves). At that time I plan to also replace any and all gaskets. service the oil pressure bypass. Swap in the longer flywheel bolts for a 3 speed(motor was pulled from a automatic). I'm currently looking for a local company that can rebuild a starter and generator, as well as the distributor that I got with the motor.

I have a lot of work before the motor can even go back in the car. Even though this is going to be a simple project I still want to clean up the frame replace everything brake related or repair. Then focus on getting it back on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Restobaker View Post
                Well in the next few weeks I plan to break the motor down clean it up make sure nothing is stuck(valves). At that time I plan to also replace any and all gaskets. service the oil pressure bypass. Swap in the longer flywheel bolts for a 3 speed(motor was pulled from a automatic). I'm currently looking for a local company that can rebuild a starter and generator, as well as the distributor that I got with the motor.

I have a lot of work before the motor can even go back in the car. Even though this is going to be a simple project I still want to clean up the frame replace everything brake related or repair. Then focus on getting it back on the road.
                Over the slippery slope for sure. How long before we read, "Well, while it was apart, I figured better safe than sorry." ;>)
                PackardV8

Comment

Well the Studebaker gods have not been good to me.....

After taking hit after hit I'm calling it quits I'm done.... I cant keep throwing money away...

just in case your wondering the motor I bought is trash. the seller is working with me to get another one but I don't know if I can keep doing this....

Its been one thing after another with this project I've never run in to this many problems.

Comment

Is there a reason to rebuild the starter and generator before trying them? In my experience, many starter and generator rebuilds are worse than the originals. Your experience may be better than mine. I hope so.
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                      Is there a reason to rebuild the starter and generator before trying them? In my experience, many starter and generator rebuilds are worse than the originals. Your experience may be better than mine. I hope so.

At this time I'm no longer considering doing anything with either... The project is now being abandoned and I'm moving on with my life.... I cant keep throwing good money into this car, not when I can buy one for a few thousand running. I just have to save some money.

Comment

The gentleman I purchased the motor from is working with me to ensure we get a good donor this time around. So after the holidays we are going back to Danville for another try.

Until then I'm taking a few weeks to rest and stay away from the Studebaker before I do anything I'm going to regret.

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                          I agree. I always prefer to have a generator or starter that no one has messed with. When I bought my 1950 Champion, the seller claims to have spent over $300 on the rebuilt generator and new repro regulator. I worked the regulator over and got it to work, but went to the junk yard and bought an original regulator and generator and restored them. It now charges at idle.

Comment

Working...
                          X