No announcement yet.

Finally finished 64 R1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boy, you guys in Australia sure are hard on fiberglass. Are you hitting kangaroos a lot?

Stunning convertible!
    Last edited by Scott; 11-28-2015, 08:46 AM.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Bob, here they are,
      58LS 1193....58L-K9 227 Parchment White
      58LS 1194....58L-K9 191 Shadowtone Red
      58LS 1263 ...58L-K9 237 Canyon Copper
      So does this mean that 1194 came off the production line after 1193?
      Obviously by the body numbers they pluck out a shell at random!
      Forgot to say Bob, I did get a heap of extra parts with the deal, 5 PH nose-cones, hoods, supercharge engines, etc etc.
      Yes Scott they grow big Kangas out my way, the first one jumped on the nose cone and the second slammed the hood!

No stress Rob, do it when you can, I guess the snow will be starting soon, we might have to leave it till after winter?

I have heard of skinning animals but Packard Hawks!
      Last edited by packardHawk58; 11-28-2015, 12:04 AM. Reason: add more lines.
      Brian Greenall
      Melbourne, OZ
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by packardHawk58 View Post
        Bob, here they are,
        58LS 1193....58L-K9 227 Parchment White
        58LS 1194....58L-K9 191 Shadowtone Red
        58LS 1263 ...58L-K9 237 Canyon Copper
        So does this mean that 1194 came off the production line after 1193?
        Obviously by the body numbers they pluck out a shell at random!
        Forgot to say Bob, I did get a heap of extra parts with the deal, 5 PH nose-cones, hoods, supercharge engines, etc etc.
        Yes Scott they grow big Kangas out my way, the first one jumped on the nose cone and the second slammed the hood!

No stress Rob, do it when you can, I guess the snow will be starting soon, we might have to leave it till after winter?
        Thanks for the clarification, Brian; the Packard Hawks had consecutive serial numbers, not body numbers. The way the cars were crammed in the building, I couldn't see all the numbers when I was there because we couldn't get all the hoods and doors open far enough to see them.

It's fun to speculate / imagine 1194 following 1193 down the assembly line and out the door, but I wouldn't make a definitive statement that such happened. It might be true, but could have been influenced on how they were "framed" for production, so I don't know if we could ever know for sure.

An interesting pair nonetheless; thank good they survived at all. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Brian, hows about posting some pics of the interior and some under hood shots " so We can see what sports this beauty around " .
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
            Brian, hows about posting some pics of the interior and some under hood shots " so We can see what sports this beauty around " .
            There you go Joe.
            We had the heads ported and flowed and with 10 to one compression ratio on hi octane fuel it really pulls well for a unblown car, especially with the 4 speed.
            Plus R3 headers and a 2 1/4 exhaust helps to make it flow.

We also installed the factory style fabric trim inserts in the seats like what's in the 64 hardtop museum car.
            Might not be original for a convertible but they look good and you don't burn your butt on a hot day as with vinyl.
            Brian Greenall
            Melbourne, OZ
            sigpic

Comment

Excellent Brian, again fine results. is the dash n.o.s.,or was it restored ? I like the seats done that way,though I think these are the first ones I've seen this way.
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Excellent Brian, again fine results. is the dash n.o.s.,or was it restored ? I like the seats done that way,though I think these are the first ones I've seen this way.
                Right, Joe. As Brian said, all 1964 convertible seats were vinyl. Those cloth inserts weren't available in convertibles, but were in hardtops. The upholstery in the subject convertible now matches that of the Studebaker National Museum's R1 Daytona hardtop, which has the standard (for hardtops) cloth inserts. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob, I always assumed Convs. were all Vinyl - "never gave much thought as for other options with them" but just never knew about Cloth inserts with Bucket Seats regardless of what Body type.nice too learn this,pictures are one thing but I may prefer the Cloth inserts . Bob, do any of Your 64s have these Seats ?

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                  Right, Joe. As Brian said, all 1964 convertible seats were vinyl. Those cloth inserts weren't available in convertibles, but were in hardtops. The upholstery in the subject convertible now matches that of the Studebaker National Museum's R1 Daytona hardtop, which has the standard (for hardtops) cloth inserts. BP
                  Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Bob, I always assumed Convs. were all Vinyl - "never gave much thought as for other options with them" but just never knew about Cloth inserts with Bucket Seats regardless of what Body type.nice too learn this,pictures are one thing but I may prefer the Cloth inserts . Bob, do any of Your 64s have these Seats ?
                    Joe: In 1964, bucket seats or otherwise, cloth was the standard "insert" material for all Cruisers, Hawks and "Larks" except station wagons, convertibles, and Challengers. Station Wagons and Convertibles did not have cloth upholstery available, even as an extra-cost option.

Ironically, you could pay $24 extra and get cloth in a Challenger...or pay $72 extra and get broadcloth in a Cruiser. It made no difference whether the Cruiser was ordered with bench or bucket or individual front seats.

On Commanders, all vinyl was a $13.00 option. On Daytonas, Cruisers, and Hawks, all vinyl was a $31.74 option. (Don't ask about the $.74 above the $31.00 even; it was probably the same bean-counter who decided a dual-piston master cylinder by itself was a $9.01 option on Challengers; gotta get that last penny!)

"All the above" deals with upholstery options. Seat options (i.e., bucket, individually-adjustable, with or without recliners, etc.) were priced separately.

None of my '64s have cloth upholstery, although the Daytona sedan might. It came to me with nice, period cloth seat covers on it and I have never bothered to see what the original upholstery is or looks like underneath them. BP

Comment

Ok Bob,but just for the heck of it. as some say never say never,any thing to make a sale with Studebaker,yes - no - maybe

Joe: In 1964, bucket seats or otherwise, cloth was the standard "insert" material for all Cruisers, Hawks and "Larks" except station wagons, convertibles, and Challengers. Station Wagons and Convertibles did not have cloth upholstery available, even as an extra-cost option.

Ironically, you could pay $24 extra and get cloth in a Challenger...or pay $72 extra and get broadcloth in a Cruiser. It made no difference whether the Cruiser was ordered with bench or bucket or individual front seats.

On Commanders, all vinyl was a $13.00 option. On Daytonas, Cruisers, and Hawks, all vinyl was a $31.74 option. (Don't ask about the $.74 above the $31.00 even; it was probably the same bean-counter who decided a dual-piston master cylinder by itself was a $9.01 option on Challengers; gotta get that last penny!)

"All the above" deals with upholstery options. Seat options (i.e., bucket, individually-adjustable, with or without recliners, etc.) were priced separately.

None of my '64s have cloth upholstery, although the Daytona sedan might. It came to me with nice, period cloth seat covers on it and I have never bothered to see what the original upholstery is or looks like underneath them. BP
                      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Ok Bob,but just for the heck of it. as some say never say never,any thing to make a sale with Studebaker,yes - no - maybe
                        Oh, I'd never doubt that Studebaker would have issued a deviation permit to permit an upholstery variance from the published ordering materials, Joe, if someone insisted. "Never say never" indeed.

After all, unless there was an error on the Production Order, they did build 1964 Daytona convertible #64V7089 with an R2 engine and standard-duty, air-cooled, column-shift Flightomatic! BP

Comment

Well if an R2 WAS built that way,maybe They should have taken it a step further and fitted it with a Model 27 REAR . and if so maybe at some point a better transmission was installed

Oh, I'd never doubt that Studebaker would have issued a deviation permit to permit an upholstery variance from the published ordering materials, Joe, if someone insisted. "Never say never" indeed.

After all, unless there was an error on the Production Order, they did build 1964 Daytona convertible #64V7089 with an R2 engine and standard-duty, air-cooled, column-shift Flightomatic! BP
                          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Well if an R2 WAS built that way,maybe They should have taken it a step further and fitted it with a Model 27 REAR . and if so maybe at some point a better transmission was installed
                            Uh-oh. I hope they didn't think of that... BP

Comment

Joe, everything on that dash is NOS, 160 speedo, R tacko, gauge cluster, pad, etc etc except the AM FM radio.
                              I think they didn't want cloth trim in a convertible because the factory might believe it would fade early in the life of the car and might bring down a claim that the trim was no good.
                              Brian Greenall
                              Melbourne, OZ
                              sigpic

Comment

Hey Brian,.....As soon as I hit the lottery, I'd like to ship 'The Doctor's Car' to you for a complete re-do!!...There's no one else I know that puts his heart into these Studebakers like you!

Also,......Thanks for giving a plug to 'ACRYLIC LACQUER' as an exterior paint alternative! I get the impression that many Stude Forum participants haven't used or seen lacquer in a long while,......and have forgotten just how nice (and CORRECT) a 'lacquer job' really does look!!

Under fluorescent lighting, NO OTHER paint looks as nice as lacquer,....thankfully without the 'Plastic Covered Bowling Ball' look of basecoat/clearcoat urethanes!

Comment

Working...
                                X