2R truck wiper motor questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: 2R truck wiper motor questions

I was working on the truck tonight ('52 2R17) and after I hooked up the vacuum hose to the wiper motor, to the port on the right side of the motor, I noticed another vacuum port on the upper left side of the motor and I'm 95% sure there wasn't a hose attached to that port and I don't remember it attached to any hose. Where does that vacuum port connect to?

Also, I remember taking the on/off cable out of the slide on top of the motor fairly easily, but I had a very difficult time tonight trying to put it back in that slide and was unsuccessful. Is there a trick I need to know?

I don't understand the difficulty of reinstalling the cable, as it just lays in the groove and is held in place by the screw with a flat washer. Do you have a picture, or explanation why the cable won't slip into the groove?

Is this a V8 truck? It sounds like it since you mentioned a vacuum connection on the left side. My in line 6 motor has two vacuum ports. One is on the top side of the rear runner on the intake for the wiper on cars without the dual diaphram pump, and the port on the side of the intake near the center is for the line running down to the dual diaphram pump.

Comment

That second vacuum port should be plugged. I think it may have been for an auxiliary vacuum pump. Trico made a little plug for it that looks like a witch's hat. The part number is in the truck parts book.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Installing the cable on the wiper motor does have two "must dos". First, be sure the dashboard knob and the slide on the wiper motor are both in the same position, either fully off or fully on. This is necessary in order to position the cable correctly in the slot. Second, tighten the screw holding the retainer washer until snug, but do not over-tighten. If it is too tight, the inside wire of the cable will be pinched by the outer casing and will not move.

I believe the second port on the motor is for operating accessory windshield washers. They are activated by turning the wiper knob on the dashboard the "wrong" way.
        Bill Jarvis

Comment

Thank you guys. Clearly, I wasn't paying attention when I took the cable out because it didn't dawn on me then there was that vacuum port right there just blowing in the breeze. I'll look for that plug. As for the position of the slide, thank you, I'll pay more attention to that alignment when I try again. It was late last night and I was fiddling with things under a trouble light, so that didn't help, but it was frustrating why it seemed to be so ornery dropping in. I'll try it next time also with the cable housing snugged down a little and see if that helps.
          Is the Wiperman the best source for the wiper blades for these units?

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
            I don't understand the difficulty of reinstalling the cable, as it just lays in the groove and is held in place by the screw with a flat washer. Do you have a picture, or explanation why the cable won't slip into the groove?
            I agree, it isn't apparent why it was unwilling to slide back in. I'll try to secure the housing a little and see if that helps encourage it to lay back down.

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
            Is this a V8 truck? It sounds like it since you mentioned a vacuum connection on the left side. My in line 6 motor has two vacuum ports. One is on the top side of the rear runner on the intake for the wiper on cars without the dual diaphram pump, and the port on the side of the intake near the center is for the line running down to the dual diaphram pump.
            No, it's a 2R17 with the commander 6 and I know there was only the one hose rising up from the rear intake manifold and into the lower starboard inlet. It does have the dual diaphragm fuel pump but I'll have to look, I thought that lower vacuum line from the fuel pump went across and then up to stop near the vacuum line for the rear axle and at that point is where the vacuum line is connected to the wiper motor.

Comment

Isn't the second port the intake? The vacuum has to suck air from somewhere to work. Old Ford vacuum wiper motors had the intake on the bottom and you could use it to suck light oil into the seals to swell them up to work better.
              sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
              1950 Champion Convertible
              1950 Champion 4Dr
              1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
              1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
                Isn't the second port the intake? The vacuum has to suck air from somewhere to work. Old Ford vacuum wiper motors had the intake on the bottom and you could use it to suck light oil into the seals to swell them up to work better.
                I think the Trico wiper motors used on Studes are the same design as the Ford -- there's a little grille at the bottom of the front that is open to the atmosphere. The truck parts book shows that little plug being used on all truck wiper motors, so it's not an intake. Greenstude may have nailed it -- the second port is for accessory windshield washers -- which were not available on the 2R-series trucks.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                X