Headlight switch noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Headlight switch noise

I've had a '60 Lark VI wagon for almost 4 years now. Within a year of getting the car I had to replace the headlight switch and I've been meaning to ask for some time, since I installed this switch and very possibly the previous switch did this, when the headlights are off, there is a rattling/knocking sound coming from the switch that goes away when I use the switch.
    It's never caused any problem, so far, but it's past time to understand why it's making this sound when the switch is closed and that the sound goes away when I use the headlight switch.

An anomaly, or normal behavior?

I believe there's a relay attached to the back end of the switch or mounted nearby. It sounds like the little spring that holds the relay arm in the off position until/unless it's powered up has broken or fallen out.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
      I believe there's a relay attached to the back end of the switch or mounted nearby. It sounds like the little spring that holds the relay arm in the off position until/unless it's powered up has broken or fallen out.
      When it gets warm enough I'll look and see about that. Thank you.

Comment

My guess is a bit out of the box. The '59 and '60 Larks have the Voltage Regulator mounted on the Firewall between the Steering Column and the Inner Fender.
        Which just happens to be right behind the Headlight Switch!
        When the Points open and close as in when you turn the Lights ON, they make a quite Loud Click, click that resonates through the firewall, this could be it! Not anything to worry about at all.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
        X