Commander Six Head Install Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Commander Six Head Install Question

I got the head back on last night and feel pretty proud of myself. I still do, but after sleeping on it, the words, "...apply gasket material to mating surfaces..." popped up and is causing me a need for reassurance.

I applied the gasket sealer to the top of the cylinder head and to the bottom of the head and installed the head. After thinking about those words, should I also have applied gasket compound to the gasket itself? I can't help it, my thought processes are THAT literal.

It doesn't seem so as I applied a thin layer to both surfaces and there certainly wasn't much left on the gasket in the engine when I took the head off.

I haven't tightened anything down yet, I still have to find which brackets went on which head bolt in my photos and I have to move the whole bolt and coil/throttle assembly back into place before I start to finally tighten the head in place.

Originally posted by LeoH View Post
    I got the head back on last night and feel pretty proud of myself. I still do, but after sleeping on it, the words, "...apply gasket material to mating surfaces..." popped up and is causing me a need for reassurance.

I applied the gasket sealer to the top of the cylinder head and to the bottom of the head and installed the head. After thinking about those words, should I also have applied gasket compound to the gasket itself? I can't help it, my thought processes are THAT literal.

It doesn't seem so as I applied a thin layer to both surfaces and there certainly wasn't much left on the gasket in the engine when I took the head off.

I haven't tightened anything down yet, I still have to find which brackets went on which head bolt in my photos and I have to move the whole bolt and coil/throttle assembly back into place before I start to finally tighten the head in place.
    It probably makes no difference where you applied it.. In fact it likely makes no difference whether you used it at all.

The few gaskets which really *need* sealant usually come precoated.

If you got it clean, and the head and block surfaces are flat, torque it to specs, run it through a few heat/cool cycles (in other words, drive it). then retorque. And worry no more. It will probably be good forever.

Comment

And peace is restored to the Valley. Much obliged!

Comment

You probably did not apply sealer to the top of the cylinder head. That would be messy and... well... just plain silly.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Well, no, I did actually, following the instructions on the tube. There certainly were traces of something on the cylinder block under the previous head gasket.
          Yes it was messy and if that's the silliest thing I do on this engine project, I'm happier than a clam.

Comment

Roy's point was that you probably didn't apply sealer to the TOP (outside) of the head.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

yes - you apply the sealer to both sides of the gasket...

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                Roy's point was that you probably didn't apply sealer to the TOP (outside) of the head.
                RadioRoy said a funny!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                  RadioRoy said a funny!
                  Ah! Normally I'm one who'll catch those literal funnies. No, I did not apply the gasket sealer to the top of the head after all. Phew, that would be silly indeed!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                    RadioRoy said a funny!
                    I've told jokes to thousands of people. Made hundreds of people laugh.
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                    X