Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing FI TECH EFI on a 289..... UPDATE: FIRST DRIVE VIDEO....need driveshaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only issue there is, you need to cut a recess in the New Chev. Housing or the Water Manifold to except the thermostat since the Chev. Engine T-Stat Housing has none like the Studebaker.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      The only issue there is, you need to cut a recess in the New Chev. Housing or the Water Manifold to except the thermostat since the Chev. Engine T-Stat Housing has none like the Studebaker.
      Well, I thought we were talking about a spacer, tapped as needed, that would install between the water manifold and the thermostat housing. Thus the thermostat would be installed in the correct Studebaker t/stat housing with the spacer below.

Comment

Another thing I should mention, I run 195 degree thermostats, year round, in both of the EFI'd GTs. I understand it helps the CTS to do its job, by mimicking more modern engine temps, which the EFI was designed for.

Even with AC, which both cars have, the 195 degree stat is no problem. Long as your cooling system is OK, a 195 should not be a problem for your Stude either.

Comment

This subject is very interesting, I look forward to the finished results. By the way, will a stock Studebaker air filter assembly fit onto this unit?
          sigpic
          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
            This subject is very interesting, I look forward to the finished results. By the way, will a stock Studebaker air filter assembly fit onto this unit?
            The only reference I have to a stock Studebaker air cleaner is for a 6 cyl ... I'll measure the opening when I get home
            Charles

1961 Lark Regal VIII 259/auto -- Lucy

Comment

IIRC, the WCFB/early AFB 4-bbls as used on Studes have a 4-7/32" diameter air horn and the later AFB and Holley are 5-1/8". It's probable any aftermarket EFI would use the Holley air horn diameter, so most likely, no a Stude air cleaner wouldn't fit without an adapter ring. They're available from Summit/Jegs/usual suspects.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

Hi Guys..
                I have to say I was surprised to run across this topic as soon as I opened the list today.. I have been mulling over a TBI installation on my 63 R2 Avanti.. Mostly because I live at 9000+ feet in elevation and have real issues with running well at this or down into Denver because of wide elevation changes..
                I am not familiar at all with this brand kit but am impressed in what little research I have done on it.. Apparently it comes ready for blow through pressurization. Does anyone know if this will clear the hood with bonnet on an Avanti? By any chance anyone done this install..? How do I subscribe to a topic?
                Thanks all..
                Ron
                Ron Husak
                Conifer, CO
                Living at 9200 feet and lovin it!
                63 avanti R2 63R-2648

Comment

Originally posted by ronhusak View Post
                  Hi Guys..
                  I have to say I was surprised to run across this topic as soon as I opened the list today.. I have been mulling over a TBI installation on my 63 R2 Avanti.. Mostly because I live at 9000+ feet in elevation and have real issues with running well at this or down into Denver because of wide elevation changes..
                  I am not familiar at all with this brand kit but am impressed in what little research I have done on it.. Apparently it comes ready for blow through pressurization. Does anyone know if this will clear the hood with bonnet on an Avanti? By any chance anyone done this install..? How do I subscribe to a topic?
                  Thanks all..
                  Ron
                  I can't atest to driveability yet as I am still installing it but so far it has been a piece of cake of an install!

Also if you are using for a blow thru application make sure you get the "power adder" version of the throttle body you choose.

As far as clearance, can't help u for Avanti installation. I would imagine that it would work in some way, shape, or form even if you had to get a adaptor that dropped the air cleaner down. I'll measure total assembly height when I am done.

With that much of an elevation change I would be going EFI just so I could enjoy the car whenever I wanted. IMHO
                  Charles

Comment

What Huh..
                    Avanti's, well r2's anyhow use a remote air filter.. The bonnet from the supercharger fits directly on the air horn.. A cast piece.. Avanti's are very critical for carburetor to hood clearance due to low hood line.. Would like the measurements though..
                    Thanks for the reply..
                    Ron Husak
                    Ron Husak
                    Conifer, CO
                    Living at 9200 feet and lovin it!
                    63 avanti R2 63R-2648

Comment

Originally posted by ronhusak View Post
                      Hi Guys..
                      Thanks all..
                      Ron
                      I'm just amazed at that fact that you need to drive "down" 4000 feet of elevation to get to Mile High Stadium. Thats funny.
                      sals54

Comment

As far as R-1 style air cleaners are concerned S.I. has them for both sizes for the stock Stude AFB's & the Edelbrock carbs. See page 188 of the 2014 catalog.
                        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                        64 Zip Van
                        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

What Huh-- I still think putting the coolant sensor on the top of the water manifold is easiest (drill, tap, install, connect wires) easier than building a housing to retain it and the thermostat without it leaking somewhere, but could you measure the top flange to base flange height, without the adapter? I've looked at various set ups but they never show that critical measurement. Then I could guess if it will work with an after market bonnet for my R2 Avanti, without needing to shim the body.

Comment

Well my one day break turned into 3 but I have updates...

First things first, here are those measurements for karterfred

Now, I decided to raise my coolant neck with a spacer in order to put my CTS there. One problem that was pointed out to me ... There is no recess for the thermostat to fit into.

A quick solution that I came up with was to put it in my drill press and see if a hole saw would give me the correct recess that the thermostat needs.
                            Turns out that the thermostat is 2 1/8". So I aligned the spacer with the hole saw and started to go to town, remembering that I only need to take off a little more than 1/32nd of material.

You will see in this picture that the 2 1/8th hole saw didnt take all the material off that I needed so I put a 2" hole saw in the drill press to shave the material off

cut a little, measure a lot, cut a little, measure a lot .... you get the idea ... you eventually get this

And when compared to the original neck, it looks spot on to me

Now put that sucker together

Charles

Comment

I have also moved the O2 sensor more upstream. The directions said that "ideally" that the sensor should be 2-4" past the collector but at least 8" away from the nearest exhaust valve. Well the farthest upstream that I could get the O2 sensor was 6" from the collector flange, while still making it accessible and not blocking anything else. Much better then the previous location which was 21"

Also install electric fan and relay, and started running fuel lines. Hopefully get pictures of the fuel lines later
                              Last edited by what huh; 11-04-2015, 04:57 PM.
                              Charles

Comment

Nice work. Keep it coming.

Comment

Working...
                                X