Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing FI TECH EFI on a 289..... UPDATE: FIRST DRIVE VIDEO....need driveshaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FIRST DRIVE JUST HAPPENED

Hood off, around the block.... Gonna need a drive shaft lol shakes crazy above 20mphStudebaker 289 attached to 4 speed T98a trans

I was fairly certain that the drive shaft I had wasnt going to work cause I thought it was shortened properly.... sure enough the test drive showed me how much even a slight out of true a driveshaft is will mess things up... my wife started to get scared toward the end of the jump around the block we made it home no problem

as of right now I need a driveshaft and I can start using her for what ever I please
    Charles

1961 Lark Regal VIII 259/auto -- Lucy

Comment

Originally posted by what huh View Post
      <snip>
      as of right now I need a driveshaft and I can start using her for what ever I please
      Sounds kinky

(Congrats on the first drive.. Sounded great!)
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Awesome!! Love your truck
        1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
          Sounds kinky

(Congrats on the first drive.. Sounded great!)

BAHAHA totally didnt see that
          Charles

Comment

In the video, looks like you are gonna need some time to get used to, "armstrong" PS. But Lester Schmidt (now deceased) drove his armstrong equipped TRANSTAR for decades, into his 80s. So I am sure you will do just fine with yours too.

That Stude V8 sounds raring to go. I predict you'll be especially thankful for the EFI come summer, when it won't know what, "vapor lock" is.

Definitely do not scrimp on a proper drive shaft though. If its an OEM Stude truck drive shaft, you may be able to locate one. If not, you can surely have one made, but it ain't gonna be cheap!

Good luck, and keep us posted please.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
              In the video, looks like you are gonna need some time to get used to, "armstrong" PS. But Lester Schmidt (now deceased) drove his armstrong equipped TRANSTAR for decades, into his 80s. So I am sure you will do just fine with yours too.

That Stude V8 sounds raring to go. I predict you'll be especially thankful for the EFI come summer, when it won't know what, "vapor lock" is.

Definitely do not scrimp on a proper drive shaft though. If its an OEM Stude truck drive shaft, you may be able to locate one. If not, you can surely have one made, but it ain't gonna be cheap!

Good luck, and keep us posted please.
              I think its going to be difficult to find the proper lenght OEM driveshaft, I tried looking for one before I install this one cause I was confident that it wasnt going to work. When I was checking it out I noticed that the splines are out of alignment by 3/32"

I have the orginal (to long) driveshaft out of the truck, come monday I am going to call around and see if I can find anybody that does them. Maybe shorten the stock I have or worst case get a brand new one made
              Charles

Comment

When I converted my Champ to overdrive I had to change the driveshaft. My truck, 1961, had a shaft that the tube was larger in the middle than on the ends. The shop I took it to re used my ends and made new tube the proper length. It cost me around $250 with new u joints.
                1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Congratulations!! Get that drive shaft fixed and you have a daily driver. Thanks for posting the entire process from start to finish. I have been toying with EFI for over a year now so having your experience with this new alternative was extra interesting to me.
                  Good roads to you in 2016!
                  Nick

Comment

If your truck has an OEM tranny, it likely has a fixed yoke. Since the rear end also has a fixed yoke, the drive shaft must have a floating yoke. If your truck tranny has a floating yoke, a used fixed yoke drive shaft is probably available, possibly from a brand 'X' vehicle, but may need to be shortened.

If your drive shaft, "matches" your tranny, per yoke design, it should be cheapest to have it shortened by a competent shop. If it does not match, you are at square one, and need a complete drive shaft that does match, per yoke design. Not cheap! For the T85 in the 62GT, I had a floating yoke drive shaft made about 10 years ago, for about $400. Before that, I'd used a Stude truck drive shaft for many years, but the floating area wore out.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                      If your truck has an OEM tranny, it likely has a fixed yoke. Since the rear end also has a fixed yoke, the drive shaft must have a floating yoke. If your truck tranny has a floating yoke, a used fixed yoke drive shaft is probably available, possibly from a brand 'X' vehicle, but may need to be shortened.

If your drive shaft, "matches" your tranny, per yoke design, it should be cheapest to have it shortened by a competent shop. If it does not match, you are at square one, and need a complete drive shaft that does match, per yoke design. Not cheap! For the T85 in the 62GT, I had a floating yoke drive shaft made about 10 years ago, for about $400. Before that, I'd used a Stude truck drive shaft for many years, but the floating area wore out.
                      its a floating yoke on the trans

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4945.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	1703292

Problem I am finding now is that there is not anyone local that wants to do the work
                      Charles

Comment

Check big rig truck service places - they're always making driveshafts. I use a big one near me. To shorten, it's only $85-125 depending, but always includes new U-joints. For making new, they're $185-225 with all new pieces.
                        -------------------
                        Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

Comment

x2 on the truck service places. They modified my 2 piece for me. They were also able to make the u-bolts for the replacement rear end.

Comment

Originally posted by what huh View Post
                            its a floating yoke on the trans

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50577[/ATTACH]

Problem I am finding now is that there is not anyone local that wants to do the work
                            Unless I am mistaken, that's a fixed yoke tranny, with a floating yoke drive shaft, as expected for your truck. If it is too long, any drive shaft shop should be able to shorten it. Looking at your pic, it does not appear too long, since about 1/2" of the yoke splines are visible. When it is going down the road, generally, the drive shaft will lengthen under load or power, except when going over bumps.

Question: If it is the OEM drive shaft, how did it get to be too long? Why do you think it is too long?

Comment

It is a Stock Driveshaft and floating Yoke that connects to a Fixed Flange Transmission, used only in SHORT Bed Stude. Trucks.

Unless the Rear Axle has been changed or the Engine moved back from the Factory Position, that shaft should be fine.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                                It is a Stock Driveshaft and floating Yoke that connects to a Fixed Flange Transmission, used only in SHORT Bed Stude. Trucks.

Unless the Rear Axle has been changed or the Engine moved back from the Factory Position, that shaft should be fine.
                                Thanks for clarifying StudeRich.

Nothing has been changed from stock between the trans and rear axle. The pictured driveshaft is a "homejob" shortened driveshaft that came with the transmission. The seller being nice said that he would sweeten the deal by throwing in a proper length driveshaft for free.... It's a deal then, I said.

Along with my comment that had my first drive video in it, I mention that I didn't think my driveshaft (referring to the current one installed) was going to work even tho it fits fine because it is out of true by 3/32". I feel that the test drive showed that to me... Bounced a lot and I didn't feel anything coming from the steering or the brake pedal or the motor bucking,... Although the motor did backfire from what I believe to be very old gas. Don't worry I have since replaced it

I have another driveshaft that came out of this truck when it had its 6 cyl flathead and 3 speed,... Stock used but unmolested from Studebaker. This is the one I would like to get shortened properly

Thanks for tip on big rig truck shop!
                                Last edited by what huh; 01-11-2016, 06:38 AM.
                                Charles

Comment

Working...
                                X