Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing FI TECH EFI on a 289..... UPDATE: FIRST DRIVE VIDEO....need driveshaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Installing FI TECH EFI on a 289..... UPDATE: FIRST DRIVE VIDEO....need driveshaft

So I ordered this EFI about month or so ago... promised a couple of members that i would post up my experience and install. Over the next week I and going to installing a EFI base carb, Fuel Command Center (basically external sump pump), and Electric Fan.

Already installed Dave T's Mallory Unilite and wire set, 3 wire alternator, rad from a 280z, dan simmions SS exhaust w/ med tone mufflers.

Here is the first box I am tackling. EFI unit, coolant sensor, oxygen sensor, running wires and the like

more pictures coming as I get things done

- - - Updated - - -

10/28/15

Where to get started... well pull off what you have on there now

Anybody interested in a 1403 Carb? Installed but not used SOLD

Here is where is all starts:

for this EFI carb base to fit you will need an adapter plate, I got my from summit racing a long time ago.... part number is on this forum somewhere

But before I get ahead of myself, tonight I am just getting familiar with the equipment, bolting it on, loosely fitting wires, seeing where I want to run things. Seeing if I will run into any problems before I start. Found one right off the bat (next picture)

the new coolant temp sensor is bigger that the original. Any ideas on a fix... I was thinking about taking the plate of the back of the head and drilling and threading for the larger sensor or heading to lowes and adapting somehow.
    Last edited by what huh; 03-07-2016, 07:18 AM.
    Charles

1961 Lark Regal VIII 259/auto -- Lucy

Good deal Charles!! Can't wait for your reports.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

If anybody has any questions or wants some more specific pictures or something just let me know. Ill do my best to answer them
      Charles

Comment

Originally posted by what huh View Post
        the new coolant temp sensor is bigger that the original. Any ideas on a fix... I was thinking about taking the plate of the back of the head and drilling and threading for the larger sensor or heading to lowes and adapting somehow.
        FWIW, I would be concerned that using an adapter would pull the a 'business end' of the coolant sensor further out of the water flow. Tapping the plate for the larger sensor should be pretty easy as long as you can find a NPT tap that size.
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
          FWIW, I would be concerned that using an adapter would pull the a 'business end' of the coolant sensor further out of the water flow. Tapping the plate for the larger sensor should be pretty easy as long as you can find a NPT tap that size.
          agree with possible pulling the sensor to far away or possible having not water flow pass the "business end"

I am going to take the plate off and weld a NPT bung on to it, that way the sensor will be in the same position as the original and have water flow all around the part of the sensor that takes the reading

I have access to a full welding/hydraulic shop at work
          Charles

Comment

Space might be a problem at back of head.try drill and tap heater hose lug on water manifold. Luck Doofus

Comment

Could it be mounted in a spacer in a radiator hose?

Comment

Bravo!! For forging ahead on this project.

Are you able to control ignition timing with your setup, I know the EFI can, and what fuel delivery option did you chose?

As you and others have said, a true indication of actual temperature is a must so I like the solution to place the temp probe directly in the coolant flow.

Avanti, Bob

Comment

Great Thread!
                  I have been sitting on the fence about trying this on my Wagonaire. I'm not real smart when it comes to the computers and engines. There weren't any in 1964 the last time I was active doing my own engine work. The idea that this setup "tunes" itself rather than needing a laptop and the smarts to do it manually made me very interested. I like the Hamilton because of the good experience others on this forum have had with it but the ignition setup with the laptop makes me uneasy about making the leap.
                  Will this unit work with Mr. T's distributor?

Comment

Originally posted by what huh View Post
                    agree with possible pulling the sensor to far away or possible having not water flow pass the "business end"

I am going to take the plate off and weld a NPT bung on to it, that way the sensor will be in the same position as the original and have water flow all around the part of the sensor that takes the reading

I have access to a full welding/hydraulic shop at work
                    The sensor looks like a typical GM item, no need to put it in the rear of a cylinder head, just needs to be close to the thermostat, then you can leave the original sender there and use it for your gauge. Lots easier to get to and hook up that way. Perhaps drilling and tapping an extra outlet on top of the water manifold where room exists near the t'stat housing?
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by karterfred88; 10-29-2015, 07:16 AM.

Comment

On my 37 with SBC I have an aluminum spacer just below the thermostat housing about 1.25" thick which was tapped for a sensor. You could make one. I don't remember where I purchased it but it is visible in the picture
                      Attached Files

Comment

Subscribed, I am very interested to see how this works out. Best of luck! Will you be adding any kind of forced induction?

Comment

Subscribed. Want one too

Comment

Originally posted by ndynis View Post
                            Great Thread!
                            I have been sitting on the fence about trying this on my Wagonaire. I'm not real smart when it comes to the computers and engines. There weren't any in 1964 the last time I was active doing my own engine work. The idea that this setup "tunes" itself rather than needing a laptop and the smarts to do it manually made me very interested. I like the Hamilton because of the good experience others on this forum have had with it but the ignition setup with the laptop makes me uneasy about making the leap.
                            Will this unit work with Mr. T's distributor?
                            as far as getting this EFI unit to control timing, unfortunately not. Still need to set the timing with a light once she fires the first time.

Originally posted by silverhawk1958 View Post
                            Subscribed, I am very interested to see how this works out. Best of luck! Will you be adding any kind of forced induction?
                            I did purchase the EFI carb that can handle forced induction for future plans.... as of right now I will be running NA for awhile.
                            Charles

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                              Bravo!! For forging ahead on this project.

Are you able to control ignition timing with your setup, I know the EFI can, and what fuel delivery option did you chose?

Avanti, Bob
                              Ill be using FI Techs FCC its an external sump pump system. Ill be posting a picture of it in tonight update

Also, think I might be on to something with the coolant sensor. There is a flat spot on the water manifold on the drivers side. possible drill and tap that location? We will see
                              Charles

Comment

Working...
                              X