No announcement yet.

What the 67 Studebaker may have looked like

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last I knew the drawings in Collectable Automobile are owned by a GM Dealer in NC. I think he owns a Chevy Dealership in Raligh or some where close to that. Have seen them up close and personal at a large Concours Show and they were extremely interesting. I was surprised when I got my Magazine last week and saw this article but I've come to understand that once or twice a year they run Studebaker related material. This a great car magazine and has been for a long time.

See you in the future as I write about our past
    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Last I knew the drawings in Collectable Automobile are owned by a GM Dealer in NC. I think he owns a Chevy Dealership in Raligh or some where close to that. Have seen them up close and personal at a large Concours Show and they were extremely interesting. I was surprised when I got my Magazine last week and saw this article but I've come to understand that once or twice a year they run Studebaker related material. This a great car magazine and has been for a long time.

Comment

quote:Last I knew the drawings in Collectable Automobile are owned by a GM Dealer in NC. I think he owns a Chevy Dealership in Raligh or some where close to that.
        Would that be Bob Yale, Jr.? His dad, Bob Yale, Sr. was a Chevy dealer in NC and had a wonderful collection of Studebakers. He was killed an an auto crash, I think.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

quote:Last I knew the drawings in Collectable Automobile are owned by a GM Dealer in NC. I think he owns a Chevy Dealership in Raligh or some where close to that.
          Would that be Bob Yale, Jr.? His dad, Bob Yale, Sr. was a Chevy dealer in NC and had a wonderful collection of Studebakers. He was killed an an auto crash, I think.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Um, where do you put gas in the car? I don't see any gas cap or cover. If it's behind the license plate wouldn't that mean the bumper is in two sections with a gap in the middle? That's apparently not the case.
            "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Um, where do you put gas in the car? I don't see any gas cap or cover. If it's behind the license plate wouldn't that mean the bumper is in two sections with a gap in the middle? That's apparently not the case.
              "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Yes that is correct. He had a display of all of the original drawings and it was wonderful to see. W had quite a conversation that day. Sure wish they were mine but glad to know they are safe and secure in the hands of a Studebaker collector.

Comment

Yes that is correct. He had a display of all of the original drawings and it was wonderful to see. W had quite a conversation that day. Sure wish they were mine but glad to know they are safe and secure in the hands of a Studebaker collector.

Comment

In the drawing or the actual convertible? In the drawing is shows a flip down bumper. On the convertible, I'll bet it's just been moved INSIDE the trunk. That would be the easiest thing to do.

quote:Originally posted by Scott

Mark Anderson
                    1965 Cruiser

Home of the Cruiser Registry

Comment

In the drawing or the actual convertible? In the drawing is shows a flip down bumper. On the convertible, I'll bet it's just been moved INSIDE the trunk. That would be the easiest thing to do.

quote:Originally posted by Scott

Mark Anderson
                      1965 Cruiser

Home of the Cruiser Registry

Comment

I actually meant the prototype and the convertible. I can see why they might have put it in the trunk for the prototype. I don't think if they had left it that way for production it would have helped sales. Volkswagens had the filler tube in the trunk until the late sixties or early seventies when they added a door on the outside. They wouldn't have done that if marketing didn't show it to be a sales advantage.

A swing down or up bumper sounds pretty weird. I wonder how it could have been accomplished without the bumper hitting something.[?]

Comment

I actually meant the prototype and the convertible. I can see why they might have put it in the trunk for the prototype. I don't think if they had left it that way for production it would have helped sales. Volkswagens had the filler tube in the trunk until the late sixties or early seventies when they added a door on the outside. They wouldn't have done that if marketing didn't show it to be a sales advantage.

A swing down or up bumper sounds pretty weird. I wonder how it could have been accomplished without the bumper hitting something.[?]

Comment

The black car reminds me of the beloved 63 Rambler Classic we had when I was a child. Yes, it had a high bumper.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                            63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

The black car reminds me of the beloved 63 Rambler Classic we had when I was a child. Yes, it had a high bumper.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                              63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Bob Marcks was a speaker at the '06 AOAI meet in Palm Springs. Both he and his presentation were fascinating!

Jeff

[quote]Originally posted by lstude

I just received my copy of Collectible Automobile (Feb. 2008). There is a great interview with a designer by the name of Bob Marcks. He started out at Ford but then left and went with Loewy and worked with Bob Bourke on the 53 Studebaker. He went back to Ford but then left again and started his own design firm. He was hired by Studebaker do the 66 model.

He did several designs for future Studebakers, including raising the rear bumper on the 66. He proposed a design with a front end similar to the 53 and one with a similar rear window like the 47-53 Starlight coupes, but, as we all know, there would be no more Studebakers.

He later joined Chrysler in 1973 and worked on the Cordoba and Dodge Magnum and other Chrysler products.
                                1951 Custom
                                1958 Packard Hawk < resto project
                                1962 Champ
                                1963 Standard R1 4 speed
                                1963 Avanti R1
                                1963 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
                                2006 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Working...
                                X