What the 67 Studebaker may have looked like

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the 67 Studebaker may have looked like

I just received my copy of Collectible Automobile (Feb. 2008). There is a great interview with a designer by the name of Bob Marcks. He started out at Ford but then left and went with Loewy and worked with Bob Bourke on the 53 Studebaker. He went back to Ford but then left again and started his own design firm. He was hired by Studebaker do the 66 model.

He did several designs for future Studebakers, including raising the rear bumper on the 66. He proposed a design with a front end similar to the 53 and one with a similar rear window like the 47-53 Starlight coupes, but, as we all know, there would be no more Studebakers.

He later joined Chrysler in 1973 and worked on the Cordoba and Dodge Magnum and other Chrysler products.

Leonard Shepherd

Man, the car in the bottom pair of drawings is some ugly! The middle right is not too bad, the middle left looks very Mopar-ish.

The raised rear bumper actually looks very good in real life. Art Southworth in Edmonton did that on the "convertible '67" that he built many years ago. Vern Spencer showed that car at the Spokane International Meet, and some here may remember seeing it. Craig Parslow will have photos of it, I'm sure.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Man, the car in the bottom pair of drawings is some ugly! The middle right is not too bad, the middle left looks very Mopar-ish.

The raised rear bumper actually looks very good in real life. Art Southworth in Edmonton did that on the "convertible '67" that he built many years ago. Vern Spencer showed that car at the Spokane International Meet, and some here may remember seeing it. Craig Parslow will have photos of it, I'm sure.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by gordr
        Craig Parslow will have photos of it, I'm sure.
        Indeed I do!!

Here are a couple I took not long after Vern bought it, and the 1977 article from Special Interest Autos magazine Art got the idea from...

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by gordr
          Craig Parslow will have photos of it, I'm sure.
          Indeed I do!!

Here are a couple I took not long after Vern bought it, and the 1977 article from Special Interest Autos magazine Art got the idea from...

Craig

Comment

I don't know why Stude didn't raise the rear bumper in '64. IMHO that is the most ungainly, awkward part of that car, and the '67 prototype looks just right.

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I don't know why Stude didn't raise the rear bumper in '64. IMHO that is the most ungainly, awkward part of that car, and the '67 prototype looks just right.

nate

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              --
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

The next to the last one looks like a cross between a 1962 Pontiac and a Citroen (spelling).

Comment

The next to the last one looks like a cross between a 1962 Pontiac and a Citroen (spelling).

Comment

I remember seeing that SIA article and I still have it somewhere. The thing that struck me about raising the rear bumper is that I always felt that Studebaker was the first to raise the rear bumper. If you look at the 53 Studebaker the rear fender goes up to the bumper and there is a pan under it. Other cars of that time had the bumper very low and emphasized the very bottom of the bumper by the protrusion. That is one of the things that makes the 53 Studebakers so appealing. The Avanti also has a high rear bumper.

Here is a comparison of the Stude, Ford and Chevy

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

I remember seeing that SIA article and I still have it somewhere. The thing that struck me about raising the rear bumper is that I always felt that Studebaker was the first to raise the rear bumper. If you look at the 53 Studebaker the rear fender goes up to the bumper and there is a pan under it. Other cars of that time had the bumper very low and emphasized the very bottom of the bumper by the protrusion. That is one of the things that makes the 53 Studebakers so appealing. The Avanti also has a high rear bumper.

Here is a comparison of the Stude, Ford and Chevy

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

gord,

that one drawing - middle right - that you find attractive, that's very much like the Frua-bodied Lark that Pat Drnec brought over from Italy!

Whoa! My EIGHT THOUSANDTH POST! Shouldn't there be the sound of gold coins clanking into a catch pan or something???[:0][]

Miscreant adrift in
                        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

gord,

that one drawing - middle right - that you find attractive, that's very much like the Frua-bodied Lark that Pat Drnec brought over from Italy!

Whoa! My EIGHT THOUSANDTH POST! Shouldn't there be the sound of gold coins clanking into a catch pan or something???[:0][]

Miscreant adrift in
                          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Did that Lark survive (the black one in the photo I mean)?
                            I seem to recall an article in a 2006 TW about a guy in Victoria who created a "1967" Stude.

John Clements
                            Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                            Lockleys South Australia
                            John Clements
                            Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Did that Lark survive (the black one in the photo I mean)?
                              I seem to recall an article in a 2006 TW about a guy in Victoria who created a "1967" Stude.

John Clements
                              Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                              Lockleys South Australia
                              John Clements
                              Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Working...
                              X