Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What the 67 Studebaker may have looked like

Silver Hawk Member

What the 67 Studebaker may have looked like

I just received my copy of Collectible Automobile (Feb. 2008). There is a great interview with a designer by the name of Bob Marcks. He started out at Ford but then left and went with Loewy and worked with Bob Bourke on the 53 Studebaker. He went back to Ford but then left again and started his own design firm. He was hired by Studebaker do the 66 model.

He did several designs for future Studebakers, including raising the rear bumper on the 66. He proposed a design with a front end similar to the 53 and one with a similar rear window like the 47-53 Starlight coupes, but, as we all know, there would be no more Studebakers.

He later joined Chrysler in 1973 and worked on the Cordoba and Dodge Magnum and other Chrysler products.

Leonard Shepherd
    http://leonardshepherd.com/

Leonard Shepherd

President Member
    Man, the car in the bottom pair of drawings is some ugly! The middle right is not too bad, the middle left looks very Mopar-ish.

The raised rear bumper actually looks very good in real life. Art Southworth in Edmonton did that on the "convertible '67" that he built many years ago. Vern Spencer showed that car at the Spokane International Meet, and some here may remember seeing it. Craig Parslow will have photos of it, I'm sure.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

President Member
    Man, the car in the bottom pair of drawings is some ugly! The middle right is not too bad, the middle left looks very Mopar-ish.

The raised rear bumper actually looks very good in real life. Art Southworth in Edmonton did that on the "convertible '67" that he built many years ago. Vern Spencer showed that car at the Spokane International Meet, and some here may remember seeing it. Craig Parslow will have photos of it, I'm sure.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

quote:Originally posted by gordr
    Craig Parslow will have photos of it, I'm sure.
    Indeed I do!!

Here are a couple I took not long after Vern bought it, and the 1977 article from Special Interest Autos magazine Art got the idea from...

Craig

quote:Originally posted by gordr
    Craig Parslow will have photos of it, I'm sure.
    Indeed I do!!

Here are a couple I took not long after Vern bought it, and the 1977 article from Special Interest Autos magazine Art got the idea from...

Craig

I don't know why Stude didn't raise the rear bumper in '64. IMHO that is the most ungainly, awkward part of that car, and the '67 prototype looks just right.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I don't know why Stude didn't raise the rear bumper in '64. IMHO that is the most ungainly, awkward part of that car, and the '67 prototype looks just right.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

President Member
    The next to the last one looks like a cross between a 1962 Pontiac and a Citroen (spelling).

President Member
    The next to the last one looks like a cross between a 1962 Pontiac and a Citroen (spelling).

Silver Hawk Member
    I remember seeing that SIA article and I still have it somewhere. The thing that struck me about raising the rear bumper is that I always felt that Studebaker was the first to raise the rear bumper. If you look at the 53 Studebaker the rear fender goes up to the bumper and there is a pan under it. Other cars of that time had the bumper very low and emphasized the very bottom of the bumper by the protrusion. That is one of the things that makes the 53 Studebakers so appealing. The Avanti also has a high rear bumper.

Here is a comparison of the Stude, Ford and Chevy

Leonard Shepherd

Silver Hawk Member
    I remember seeing that SIA article and I still have it somewhere. The thing that struck me about raising the rear bumper is that I always felt that Studebaker was the first to raise the rear bumper. If you look at the 53 Studebaker the rear fender goes up to the bumper and there is a pan under it. Other cars of that time had the bumper very low and emphasized the very bottom of the bumper by the protrusion. That is one of the things that makes the 53 Studebakers so appealing. The Avanti also has a high rear bumper.

Here is a comparison of the Stude, Ford and Chevy

Leonard Shepherd

gord,

that one drawing - middle right - that you find attractive, that's very much like the Frua-bodied Lark that Pat Drnec brought over from Italy!

Whoa! My EIGHT THOUSANDTH POST! Shouldn't there be the sound of gold coins clanking into a catch pan or something???[:0][]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

gord,

that one drawing - middle right - that you find attractive, that's very much like the Frua-bodied Lark that Pat Drnec brought over from Italy!

Whoa! My EIGHT THOUSANDTH POST! Shouldn't there be the sound of gold coins clanking into a catch pan or something???[:0][]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

President Member
    Did that Lark survive (the black one in the photo I mean)?
    I seem to recall an article in a 2006 TW about a guy in Victoria who created a "1967" Stude.

John Clements
    Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
    Lockleys South Australia

President Member
    Did that Lark survive (the black one in the photo I mean)?
    I seem to recall an article in a 2006 TW about a guy in Victoria who created a "1967" Stude.

John Clements
    Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
    Lockleys South Australia

Last I knew the drawings in Collectable Automobile are owned by a GM Dealer in NC. I think he owns a Chevy Dealership in Raligh or some where close to that. Have seen them up close and personal at a large Concours Show and they were extremely interesting. I was surprised when I got my Magazine last week and saw this article but I've come to understand that once or twice a year they run Studebaker related material. This a great car magazine and has been for a long time.

See you in the future as I write about our past

Last I knew the drawings in Collectable Automobile are owned by a GM Dealer in NC. I think he owns a Chevy Dealership in Raligh or some where close to that. Have seen them up close and personal at a large Concours Show and they were extremely interesting. I was surprised when I got my Magazine last week and saw this article but I've come to understand that once or twice a year they run Studebaker related material. This a great car magazine and has been for a long time.

Silver Hawk Member
    quote:Last I knew the drawings in Collectable Automobile are owned by a GM Dealer in NC. I think he owns a Chevy Dealership in Raligh or some where close to that.
    Would that be Bob Yale, Jr.? His dad, Bob Yale, Sr. was a Chevy dealer in NC and had a wonderful collection of Studebakers. He was killed an an auto crash, I think.

Leonard Shepherd

Silver Hawk Member
    quote:Last I knew the drawings in Collectable Automobile are owned by a GM Dealer in NC. I think he owns a Chevy Dealership in Raligh or some where close to that.
    Would that be Bob Yale, Jr.? His dad, Bob Yale, Sr. was a Chevy dealer in NC and had a wonderful collection of Studebakers. He was killed an an auto crash, I think.

Leonard Shepherd

Um, where do you put gas in the car? I don't see any gas cap or cover. If it's behind the license plate wouldn't that mean the bumper is in two sections with a gap in the middle? That's apparently not the case.

Um, where do you put gas in the car? I don't see any gas cap or cover. If it's behind the license plate wouldn't that mean the bumper is in two sections with a gap in the middle? That's apparently not the case.

Yes that is correct. He had a display of all of the original drawings and it was wonderful to see. W had quite a conversation that day. Sure wish they were mine but glad to know they are safe and secure in the hands of a Studebaker collector.

Yes that is correct. He had a display of all of the original drawings and it was wonderful to see. W had quite a conversation that day. Sure wish they were mine but glad to know they are safe and secure in the hands of a Studebaker collector.

President Member
    In the drawing or the actual convertible? In the drawing is shows a flip down bumper. On the convertible, I'll bet it's just been moved INSIDE the trunk. That would be the easiest thing to do.

quote:Originally posted by Scott

Mark Anderson
    1965 Cruiser
    http://home.alltel.net/anderm
    Home of the Cruiser Registry

President Member
    In the drawing or the actual convertible? In the drawing is shows a flip down bumper. On the convertible, I'll bet it's just been moved INSIDE the trunk. That would be the easiest thing to do.

quote:Originally posted by Scott

Mark Anderson
    1965 Cruiser
    http://home.alltel.net/anderm
    Home of the Cruiser Registry

I actually meant the prototype and the convertible. I can see why they might have put it in the trunk for the prototype. I don't think if they had left it that way for production it would have helped sales. Volkswagens had the filler tube in the trunk until the late sixties or early seventies when they added a door on the outside. They wouldn't have done that if marketing didn't show it to be a sales advantage.

A swing down or up bumper sounds pretty weird. I wonder how it could have been accomplished without the bumper hitting something.[?]

I actually meant the prototype and the convertible. I can see why they might have put it in the trunk for the prototype. I don't think if they had left it that way for production it would have helped sales. Volkswagens had the filler tube in the trunk until the late sixties or early seventies when they added a door on the outside. They wouldn't have done that if marketing didn't show it to be a sales advantage.

A swing down or up bumper sounds pretty weird. I wonder how it could have been accomplished without the bumper hitting something.[?]

The black car reminds me of the beloved 63 Rambler Classic we had when I was a child. Yes, it had a high bumper.

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

The black car reminds me of the beloved 63 Rambler Classic we had when I was a child. Yes, it had a high bumper.

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Speedster Member
    Bob Marcks was a speaker at the '06 AOAI meet in Palm Springs. Both he and his presentation were fascinating!

Jeff

[quote]Originally posted by lstude

I just received my copy of Collectible Automobile (Feb. 2008). There is a great interview with a designer by the name of Bob Marcks. He started out at Ford but then left and went with Loewy and worked with Bob Bourke on the 53 Studebaker. He went back to Ford but then left again and started his own design firm. He was hired by Studebaker do the 66 model.

He did several designs for future Studebakers, including raising the rear bumper on the 66. He proposed a design with a front end similar to the 53 and one with a similar rear window like the 47-53 Starlight coupes, but, as we all know, there would be no more Studebakers.

He later joined Chrysler in 1973 and worked on the Cordoba and Dodge Magnum and other Chrysler products.

Speedster Member
    Bob Marcks was a speaker at the '06 AOAI meet in Palm Springs. Both he and his presentation were fascinating!

Jeff

[quote]Originally posted by lstude

Golden Hawk Member
    quote:Originally posted by lstude

Leonard Shepherd
    I remember Bob Yale as owning jewelry stores. I didn't know that he owned a car dealership.
    I believe that he died, much later, as the result of an accident in one of his modified Studebakers (thrown through the sun roof).
    I don't find Bob Marcks' name in a listing of Bourke's Studebaker Styling Group 1951-1952.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Golden Hawk Member

Leonard Shepherd
    I remember Bob Yale as owning jewelry stores. I didn't know that he owned a car dealership.
    I believe that he died, much later, as the result of an accident in one of his modified Studebakers (thrown through the sun roof).
    I don't find Bob Marcks' name in a listing of Bourke's Studebaker Styling Group 1951-1952.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

President Member
    Great Bob congrats on 8000 posts .Just send us all the coins you got clinking around.Or stude parts.

David Baggett '53 coupe

President Member
    Great Bob congrats on 8000 posts .Just send us all the coins you got clinking around.Or stude parts.

David Baggett '53 coupe

Silver Hawk Member
    If you look closely at the gold car that looks very GMish, it looks like it has 53 tail lights and rear bumper.

Leonard Shepherd

Silver Hawk Member
    If you look closely at the gold car that looks very GMish, it looks like it has 53 tail lights and rear bumper.

Leonard Shepherd

Any relation to Paul Yale in NC? That is who my yellow buggy came from.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn doctor’s buggy; Studebaker horse drawn “Izzer” buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures" (including a 1959 IH B-120 4 wheel drive, a 1970 Dodge W-200 Power Wagon and numerous Oliver and Cockshutt tractors).

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Any relation to Paul Yale in NC? That is who my yellow buggy came from.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn doctor’s buggy; Studebaker horse drawn “Izzer” buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures" (including a 1959 IH B-120 4 wheel drive, a 1970 Dodge W-200 Power Wagon and numerous Oliver and Cockshutt tractors).

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

President Member
    The gold car looks kind of like a 1978 Oldsmobile 88 4-door, particularly in the greenhouse area. Front looks like a 1977-1980 full-size Buick. It would also be interesting to see photos of how (or if) the designers contemplated any interior changes for 1967. With what they probably had to work with moneywise the changes contemplated on the top car illustrated, including the raised bumper, would have been very attractive. A flip-down bumper would have been a real joy at the gas station on a frozen slushy morning!

Studedude1961
    --1963 Cruiser