Generator mounting hole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Generator mounting hole

So, the bolt on my generator, at the back, underneath, was not tightened for some time and now the mounting hole is about 1/4" out of round. Is there a trick to sleeving something in there, or is it a choice of welding up the hole to round or installing a new mount?

This is on a Commander Six engine in a truck.

A better option is to drill out the generator and the Mounting Bracket to 3/8" if there is enough "meat" there, I believe they were only 5/16" Front and Rear.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Is it the bracket hole that is worn oblong? If so I'd weld the hole solid then redrill the original hole.

If it's the generator end plate, and it's aluminum, then I'd do as Rich said, or make a thin sleeve to fit the 3/8" redrilled hole.

Comment

There were a couple of different generator mounting brackets used on the trucks, but I think that neither the generator nor the bracket are threaded -- the generator is attached with two bolts and nuts, plus the adjustable one on top -- right? The above answers are both good, but can't you just hold the generator tight enough by tightening the mounting bolts?
        Skip Lackie

Comment

It's the hole in the generator end plate, the one at the back. If it should hold if I actually tighten it down, unlike the last operator's actions, I will give that a go. Also, the upper mounting bolt, there are 5 different washers in place. I assume that either this is the wrong mounting bolt, or there was some sort of a spacer there normally?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr. Ed water pump 007.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	1700789Click image for larger version

Name:	Parking 007.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	1700790

Comment

It sounds like either it has the wrong generator mounting arm, or the arm is bent. The correct arm has a bit of an S curve in it.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
              It sounds like either it has the wrong generator mounting arm, or the arm is bent. The correct arm has a bit of an S curve in it.
              It's an incorrect mounting arm then, this one's definitely flat across. That explains that.

Comment

Vern over on the Truck Talk site can probably provide you with the correct mounting arm. But make sure you have the correct lower bracket and correct generator, too. The 2R trucks had several different ones, and I'm not sure what the differences were and why. (On the other hand, the pile of washers probably will work fine, too . . . . . )
                Skip Lackie

Comment

That is a good point as to whether this is the original generator or just one that was pressed into service at some point in time.
                  Speaking to the owner who picked this truck out of a farmer's field, that was close to 10 years ago and he didn't remember when the that owner said it last ran.
                  I'll ask on the Truck Forum about identifying the generator I have vs. what might have been original.

Comment

I can probably ID the generator from the Delco 111 number. But if it works and fits the lower bracket, I guess I wouldn't worry about it -- just use it.
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                      I can probably ID the generator from the Delco 111 number. But if it works and fits the lower bracket, I guess I wouldn't worry about it -- just use it.
                      Sounds good.

Comment

For the record, the OEM generators on 2R17A trucks were Delco 1102728 (35 amp) and 1102753 (40 amp). However, many other generators will interchange.
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

I'm curious to learn what is there. I'll be checking it tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                          X