Voltage regulator on a 2R17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Voltage regulator on a 2R17

I'm curious what the large post at the top of the box is supposed to be hooked up to. I didn't notice this on the drawing in the manual and based on the schematic, it MIGHT be a ground, but since there's no wire coming out of it, I have no idea what it looks like normally. It looked nice, clean and dry inside.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Parking 014.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1748817Click image for larger version

Name:	Parking 013.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1748818

If you are talking about the phillips screw at the bottom of the picture,that looks like the voltage cutout relay. Possible adjustment?
    Last edited by bezhawk; 10-13-2015, 05:43 AM.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

It looks like someone stuck a special long hex bolt into the top mounting hole. All the regulators I've seen used the same screws you show on the lower two mounting holes. Any added ground wire could go under the mounting screw head. I've never seen such a tall standoff used for anything on a Studebaker, and it may have just been some odd hardware he had in a drawer.

Comment

As shown in the parts book, that long hex nut on top is attached to a weld bolt that penetrates the firewall. It is #678596, and was used on all 6 volt trucks to mount the voltage regulator. Trucks powered by a V8 or the Commander 6 used a Delco regulator that had three mounting holes: two on one end and one on the other (top) end. The nut is only threaded at one end, and could be used to attach various ground wires.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

thank you for the answers. So there is no typical ground wire that goes to this post then?

Comment

Originally posted by LeoH View Post
            thank you for the answers. So there is no typical ground wire that goes to this post then?
            I dunno. I'm afraid I have always used whatever screw was handiest (and least rusty).
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Ok, well, it's good to know it's a substantial ground post to be utilized as the need arises then. That's not a bad thing to know.

Comment

Working...
              X