1947 brake upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: 1947 brake upgrade

So I am finally getting to look at my 1947 Champion again after having parked it a few years ago. I parked it because it stops like a 1947 Champion. I rear ended 2 silly people because they decided they need to be first and the red light. Both took off with mangled bumpers while I have nary a scuff, but I felt I was playing with fire so I parked it anyway. I thought there was a thread on here that explained how to install the 11inch finned drums from a buick on this forum, but for the life of me I can't find anything that show how to upgrade the brakes on my '47.

Thanks

Some one in Turning Wheels was advertising a Disc brake kit for these years. Anyone tried it? Next year I may try it myself on the 47 Champion.

Comment

You can indeed install larger duo-serve brakes from a later model Studebaker, either 6 or V8 models. Just make sure you use the complete brakes from a newer model, backing plates, wheel cylinders, shoes, springs and any other small parts and make sure you orientate the brake backing plate as it was installed on the later model car.

When I had a 1947 Champion business coupe, I installed 11 inch V8 brakes in front. Just had to re-drill the holes in the backing plates to match the Champion spindles.
      But if you do this conversion, you need to replace your front spindles with the spindles from a 1948 or 1949 Champion. The 1947 spindles were thinner and a bit shorter (I think) and would probably not hold up to the additional weight and braking of the newer brakes. In fact, Studebaker found the 1947 spindles to be too weak and that is why they were made stronger and beefier for 1948 and 1949.

I also used later model 9 inch brakes in the rear from a new model V8 ('58 Hawk in my case) and the brakes were well balanced and worked great!
      Lew Schucart
      Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

you talk to the Turner Brake folks yet?

Comment

Alrighty! Thanks lschuc! There would happen to be a how that someone has documented on swapping out the later brakes? It always sounds to simple when you start then...the nightmares!

I have sent several emails to turner and hot rod brakes. I have never heard back from them.

Comment

Originally posted by svrex View Post
            Alrighty! Thanks lschuc! There would happen to be a how that someone has documented on swapping out the later brakes? It always sounds to simple when you start then...the nightmares!

I have sent several emails to turner and hot rod brakes. I have never heard back from them.
            I have Jim Turner's brakes on my Avanti, but I don't think he has a kit for the 47. I have seen someone advertise a disk brake kit for the older cars in TW though.

Comment

Originally posted by lschuc View Post
              You can indeed install larger duo-serve brakes from a later model Studebaker, either 6 or V8 models. Just make sure you use the complete brakes from a newer model, backing plates, wheel cylinders, shoes, springs and any other small parts and make sure you orientate the brake backing plate as it was installed on the later model car.

When I had a 1947 Champion business coupe, I installed 11 inch V8 brakes in front. Just had to re-drill the holes in the backing plates to match the Champion spindles.
              But if you do this conversion, you need to replace your front spindles with the spindles from a 1948 or 1949 Champion. The 1947 spindles were thinner and a bit shorter (I think) and would probably not hold up to the additional weight and braking of the newer brakes. In fact, Studebaker found the 1947 spindles to be too weak and that is why they were made stronger and beefier for 1948 and 1949.

I also used later model 9 inch brakes in the rear from a new model V8 ('58 Hawk in my case) and the brakes were well balanced and worked great!
              That is great to know Lew. I will definitely update to the spindles from my 48 parts car when I do update the brakes. It was my fathers car, so it will be good to put a few more pieces from it on my 47 which has the grille from the original 48 on it now.

Comment

I had talked to Turner Brakes years ago about a conversion on a 48 Land Cruiser I had. They said send the spindle and they can machine a set of brakes for the car. I had to press the car into service at that time for a daily drive from Tucson to Nogales for a few months and never did get around to do it because I then sold the car.

The early post war brakes when you apply them you feel like you are stepping on a rock. I learned to give myself plenty of room to stop but never liked the feel of the brakes.

Bob Miles
                Tucson AZ

Comment

Working...
                X