Generator cleaning basic starting questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Generator cleaning basic starting questions

It probably needs new brushes looking at the condition of the wires to them, but it was filthy inside the generator and I brushed away some rust on the outside contacts in the housing (term?) and brightened up the commuter surfaces and cleaned out mud and gunk. I blew air inside, is it ok to rub some alcohol over the surfaces to clean off any dust still there? For the immediate needs, it should work but if the compression and engine operation turns out ok, new brushes are probably a smart thing to do.

Just waiting on arranging a hoist to lift the engine so I can drop the oil pan and clean the innards out. Getting new starter and ground cables today and am trying to figure out the basic starting wire needs, just to get the engine turning for a compression check and then just basic operation. I think for now, we'll just focus on the existing starter button, it did respond when we did an ohm check yesterday on the solenoid on the firewall.

I remember reading about pressurizing the oil system before starting a new engine. Is that something I need to think about in this situation, with the truck non-op for likely 10 years or so?

Since you don't know anything about the history of the engine it would be a good idea to preoil the engine.
    I was going to direct you to "Things to do after you bought that Studebaker"
    At the top of this page:
    SDC Home Page
    Go to :
    Resources
    Half way down find :
    Things to do to after you bought that Studebaker
    I was going to direct you there, but after rereading the page I find no mention of how to do that.
    A search of this site will turn up something.
    There is good info available on line.
    Also check Youtube
    There are plenty of people here that will know your engine and reply.
    Make sure you find out which way the distributor should turn clockwise or counterclockwise.
    South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

On the generator
      Electrical Contact Cleaner in a spray can is available at "FLAPS".
      If there are no opens or grounds in there then this will do a good job of cleaning.
      Make sure your new battery cables are big enough. 6 volt, correct ?
      1/0 at least, 2/0 better.
      Check, clean, tighten all the grounds and all electrical connections.
      South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

I clean the inside of the generator with a syphon gun and gas, then blow dry with compressed air. If some of the field wrap is bad it can be covered with liquid tape. The same goes for bare spots on the wire insulation. I polish the commutator using my lathe and some fine crocus cloth. I spin the armature both directions, but finish polishing the commutator in the same direction it runs on the engine. Don't turn the commutator just because you think it's part of the restoration process. I never turn them unless they have bad grooves or burned commutator bars, and even then a mill file will often clean them up, then polish with fine crocus cloth.

Be sure the insulation between the bars is undercut about .010" to .020". I make sure the undercut is good before I give it the final crocus polish. You won't have to replace the brushes unless they are worn to near the end of their useful life. In other words if you slip the armature into the end plate, and have to push the brushes back at least 3/16", they have a lot of life left.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I know about the cable gauge, I'm taking the old cables to an automobile electric shop today and we've already discussed 1 vs. 0 gauge wires.

The majority of the generator insides looked ok, the 2 negatives that struck me were the rust patches on the poles, which I was able to brush off with a brass wire brush. The armature just seemed a little dull, so I lightly brushed and sanded it. To me, the other obvious issue was the condition of the wires attached to the brushes. Like I thought though, for just getting the engine running, it seems like it'll do. It's all about spinning the engine to get a compression test, for now.

Comment

Working...
          X