Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: 2 speed axle questions 2R17A

This is more to do with the shifter:

Someone has done a serious baling wire wrap of the cable and the clamp of the switch to the gear shift lever, it appears to keep it in place. Is this something that is common? Could I just braze the clamp to the shifter, or even just JB Weld the clamp to the gear shift lever instead?

When I was in the engine compartment looking at the vacuum lines on the valve cover side of the engine, I saw that there was a cable that went to a wire that runs into the large box behind the speedometer, how is that supposed to work and what is the point of the connection to the speedometer and the vacuum line/switch (I don't remember know 100% the connection from the speedo to the vacuum system...)

Thank you.

That little box behind the speedometer changes ratio so that the road speed shows correctly if your are in low or high gearing.

Comment

Interesting. Makes sense, thanks.

Comment

Every Stude truck with 2-spd rear axle that I've seen used one of two attachment devices: (1) Hose clamp, (2) Black electrical tape.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

I think I'll give the JB Weld a go then. It may not be period correct as the black electrical tape, but it could be tidier looking.

Comment

I have a 2R17A here with the two-speed rear (works, too), and I don't recall any baling wire or tape on the shifter clamp. I'll take a look and report back.
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Good to hear from you Gordr. Thank you for looking and comments.

Comment

I have internet issues at home, so it's hit or miss for the next few days. Looking at the rear shifter cable, there are 2 attachment clamps, a larger one on top with a basic clamp around the shifter and a second clamp, less substantial a couple inches below and that one is attached to the cable housing but broken off where it might have attached to the shifter and that may be why someone wired the aux cable housing. No pics for now, unfortunately.

Comment

Can anyone point me to where the vent hole is for the 2 speed axle differential? I see the fill plug on top, but there's enough patches of crusty oil/mud I don't obviously notice where a vent hole would be.

Comment

Working...
                  X