Commander Six heat valve and cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Commander Six heat valve and cable

On the heater valve on a Commander Six, that is in the middle of the head between #2 and #3 plugs, is there a way to clean/relube? the valve to get it to function again? Powerblaster, WD-40???

Also, it appears the cable opening the valve is snapped off inside the housing at some point. Can I trim off a small amount of the end cable housing so I can pull out the broken stub and try to reinstall a new piece of inner wire? Is there a place to just get new wire to install in the housing?
    The Climatizer in the dash looks fine inside, otherwise. I've already cleaned out the heater core and the inside of the fan chamber.

Remove the valve from the engine. Soak the valve in something like Marvel Mystery Oil for a few days, loosen the pipe like fitting on the top and then try to slowly work the lever. I have freed up several this way. To take it apart you have to remove and replace the rivets in the linkage. I am assuming it is a factory valve and not a replacement, in which case we would need a picture.

New heater cables are around, you will need to specify year and make etc of truck to verify part numbers
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

So, I noticed there are 2 'pieces'. The valve and a fitting that the valve fits into that then fits into the head. I don't want to take everything apart unless it's necessary, if I can just unscrew the valve from the fitting in the head, that'd be desirable if it's possible. I'll see about removing it this evening and start to soak it.

Comment

It is a factory valve and I did get it out of the head at least with the hole plugged back up.

Comment

There is a compression nut that holds the packing to prevent leaks. Loosen the nut a little, and free up the valve, then tighten until there are no leaks.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
          X