Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Volkswagon In Trouble With The EPA (Defeat Device Found)

i like mine. I believe I will be able to receive about 2500 if I let them convert. If I want to keep it as is I will get nothing, as I understand it. My plan is to wait until some folks get theirs converted then decide. I believe I have more than a year to act.

You can buy a lot of fuel for 2500 if that is the trade off. Giving up the wonderful turbo power though will be tough.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    'Looks like a bit of a storage problem for the repurchased cars!

http://www.autonews.com/article/2017...ews-firstshift
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I would buy one in a heart beat if I had to commute for a job. 40-50mpg for one person it better than 18-22 for my wifes buick enclave. Discount them let them be driven until the tires fall off then scrap them or . Just remember if you are allowed to run a older diesel in California then these should be fine. When I was there I saw a lot of 2004 ford 6l (6mpg) and 5.9 cummins (28mpg) and 6.6 durramax (23mpg) billowing black clouds and that's just how they ran at the best of time but that's ok. California should just ban all oil burners and stick to the low mpg gas vehicles because that would be better ??? You buy a diesel for longevity and mileage. I'm now at 437000km and getting 20mpg on average with a 2008 cummins . You barley that out of a gas truck now a day

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
    i like mine. I believe I will be able to receive about 2500 if I let them convert. If I want to keep it as is I will get nothing, as I understand it. My plan is to wait until some folks get theirs converted then decide. I believe I have more than a year to act.

You can buy a lot of fuel for 2500 if that is the trade off. Giving up the wonderful turbo power though will be tough.
    Question: If you chose to keep it as is and take it to the dealer, is he required to adjust it to the new configuration? It might be a good reason to avoid VW dealers if that's the case. Bob
    , ,

I don't think so.

Verdict came in today (12/11/2017)

http://www.onallcylinders.com/2017/1...sions-scandal/

(snippet copy - see link for entire article)

Oliver Schmidt, one of the highest-ranking Volkswagen officials implicated in Volkswagen’s emissions-cheating scandal, was sentenced to seven years in prison by a federal district court judge in Detroit this week.
    Schmidt is the former general manager of VW’s U.S. Environment and Engineering Office. He was a key figure in the the company’s efforts to cheat on mandatory diesel-emissions testing—a system of deception that grew to a global scale—and has ultimately cost the German automaker more than $20 billion in fines and settlements.
    The seven-year prison sentence, along with a $400,000 fine, was the maximum penalty allowed by law.
    Schmidt plead guilty to two felony counts of conspiracy. A third charge of aiding and abetting wire fraud was included in the original two counts as part of a plea deal.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

This whole mess is regrettable. I will admit that I am very disappointed in VW's actions concerning there diesel vehicles. We have owned several VW's over the years from a 1958 bus to the present Golf Sport Wagon. We have always been happy with our VW's none of which has been a diesel. The VW dealer here has the best service department in town and there was much angst when this ugly episode began at our dealership and that continues now. The last two VW's we purchased (a 2001 Jetta 1.8 turbo and the newest a 2016 Sport Wagon (also a turbo model) both get better than 30 mpg on a regular basis. They are quick, handle great and the gas mileage is wonderful. I hope that these vehicles and dealers like ours will prop up the VW brand despite the criminal acts of VW corporate.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

President Member
    Thanks for the interesting updates Jeff. I can't help but wonder what his bonuses amounted to over the past 10+ years.
    Bill

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobPalma View Post
    Agreed. "...40 times as much pollution?" You'd think they'd be smoking worse than perceived diesels of old if that were the case.

It does say "up to 40 times as much," so maybe there is a small window in the total run cycle where it spikes to that extent....but if so, only rarely. Probably a misleading statement...or at least easily mis-interpreted... BP

Maybe "reasonable" standards are in order???

I suspect that others are gaming the computer on the testing machine too. VW can't be that much different from any other company offering Diesels in cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
    Thanks for the interesting updates Jeff. I can't help but wonder what his bonuses amounted to over the past 10+ years.
    Bill
    He really should be more worried about his new 'bonus' program for the next seven years..
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Quote Originally Posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
    He really should be more worried about his new 'bonus' program for the next seven years..
    Aside from living in an exclusive gated community, I wonder if he gets his job at VW back when he returns. After all, VW was in on it, too.

Craig

Speedster Member
    My 2014 VW Jetta TDI was at the dealer's for its 120,000 km service in Sept.2017 while I was deciding which option to choose. The dealer explained my options fairly, and made no effort to push me into one of them, more than another. Recently I chose to have the modification done as I wish to keep the car. I have not noticed any difference in performance or fuel mileage in the city or on the highway. VW said to expect a small drop in fuel mileage.
    Bill Jarvis

That is good news!

Quote Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
    I suspect that others are gaming the computer on the testing machine too. VW can't be that much different from any other company offering Diesels in cars.
    On some news program, maybe NPR, I heard a while back that Fiat/Chrysler was under scrutiny for similar stuff. Have not heard any results or further comments.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter