Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volkswagon In Trouble With The EPA (Defeat Device Found)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jclary View Post
    Back when I was competing in equestrian events that covered a 100 miles over a weekend...there was a short lived movement to ban us from using public land for our events. One of the objections was the "Horse Apples" deposited along the trails. My best friend (a Veterinarian), cited an extensive study, regarding horse droppings, when he was called to testify. I don't have the details, nor can I cite the research source. However, the result of the research determined that horse waste is some of the cleanest, innocuous, and harmless waste in the animal world. It was further determined that horse manure was more beneficial than harmful. That particular movement dwindled away. I'm sure there will be more.
    An ones urine is awfully clean early in the production. I think the problem comes from the rich environment it (manure and urine) creates with time for the growth of many forms of contagious ne'er-do-wells

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
      However, the result of the research determined that horse waste is some of the cleanest, innocuous, and harmless waste in the animal world. It was further determined that horse manure was more beneficial than harmful.
      Don't invite me to your place for supper! I might not accept after reading this!!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
        John,
        If you lived in California dairy-country like I do, you'd know they're already measuring this and trying to figure out what to do about it!

DUST has already been declared a pollution source. If you have dirt roads on your farm, you must water them down each day so you don't generate dust when you drive on them. Really! This, when we've already run out of water for our crops due to four years of drought.
        Boy,
        I really feel old now. I remember when dirt roads were oiled with used motor oil by municipalities to keep the dust down. l'm also pretty sure that coal dust / soot is still used in small towns instead of salt on winter roads. I live in upstate New York and dairy farming is very big business; this being NY, the nanny state, we can probably look forward to "cow" inspectors in our future.

Sigh
        Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

I remember going to the Missouri Ditch Witch dealer in Eureka, SW of St Louis...back in the early 80's... (I was on the way to Perry, OK)
          When I stopped at the end of the off ramp a guy in a space suit waved me down and asked me where I was going.
          When I told him Ditch Witch, he let me turn left to go there, but would not let ANYBODY turn right.
          Turns out that was Times Beach, and the local guy was oiling all the dirt roads with transformer oil laden with dioxin.
          That was one of the incidents that started the EPA superfund for man made ecological disasters..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Times_Beach,_Missouri

Originally posted by stall View Post
          Boy,
          I really feel old now. I remember when dirt roads were oiled with used motor oil by municipalities to keep the dust down. l'm also pretty sure that coal dust / soot is still used in small towns instead of salt on winter roads. I live in upstate New York and dairy farming is very big business; this being NY, the nanny state, we can probably look forward to "cow" inspectors in our future.
          Sigh
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I think it's kind of funny and frankly doesn't bother me much for several reasons.
            Still, it's unethical (to whom? Think about that). Studebaker's emissions were always honest - from the horse's behind to the tailpipe.
            "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I read elsewhere that even though there is a requirement on the NOX nobody in the US checks for NOX emissions after the car leaves the factory, so I imagine they thought it would never be detected.

It was detected by a college professor I think. I wonder if he will eventually be hated as much as Ralph Nader?
              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

It is very simple. The engineers will take the hit for this. The senior leaders and board will not admit that they knew anything. Volkswagen will file for bankruptcy and the general public will be left holding the bag and buying blue additives to change the emission's output on these cars.....@ $25.00 per gallon.

Comment

Originally posted by plwindish View Post
                  Sounds like VW has picked up some NASCAR team tricks. Now caught with their hand in the cookie jar, Corporate Honchos will quickly disavow all contact with the designated fall guys who will bear the brunt of the guilt.
                  Sounds like the opening statement to Mission Impossible.

If any of you or your team is captured, the secretary will disavow all knowledge of your operation. Good Luck Jim. This tape will self destruct in 5 seconds.

Bob Miles
                  Tucson AZ

Comment

The way VW did it was pretty slick if dishonest. The emission system was deactivated if the rear wheels were not moving and the fronts were (like on a emissions roller.)
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

Wonder how many other diesel cars will be discovered cheating after all this?

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                        I have to laugh but really 40 times as much pollution? Seems impossible.
                        Of course it's impossible. But the generation of EcoNazis that infest DC feel that any exaggeration or [as in this case] outright lie is not only OK but justified and forgivable because it is for a 'better world' or some other NewSpeak that I have trouble understanding.

Comment

Maybe Audi will be next

Comment

Audi is already in the pot with VW in this as they share engines.

Comment

VW owns Audi.. Along with Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, and a couple of others.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                                VW owns Audi.. Along with Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, and a couple of others.
                                But mostly no diesels in those brands....though Porsche offers a slick looking suv with a diesel v6....only 70K! Maybe I'll get one when they're 12 years old.

Comment

Working...
                                X