No announcement yet.

Share YOUR IDYSD story!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got off to a good start today for IDYSD. I took the Avanti over to the nearest gasoline source (a 7-11 about two miles from me) to fill the tank since I wasn't sure how much gas I had in the tank. I hadn't even put my credit card in the pump when a man came over and knew exactly what the car was. We talked for quite a while. He said his brother used to race a '57 Hawk on the dirt tracks. Then, an older African-American gent got out of his very new looking Land Rover and came over. He asked if he could take pictures of the Avanti (he knew what it was too). Of course I said please do and I also opened the hood for him. He said an Avanti was his dream car when he was young.
    This afternoon we are going to meet at an assisted living facility where we will greet Leonard Summers, a 92-year old long-time Studebaker owner and a WWII veteran. His military service was in the Army Air Corps as a flight engineer in B-17s flying out of England. He made his 25 missions without a scratch.
    Last edited by 53k; 09-10-2016, 03:33 PM.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	1708984Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	1708985
      Photos of our Wagonaire leaving for a trip around town with a stop at our firehouse. My wife's first ride in the rebuilt Studebaker, her concern, "it's hot in here, where's the air conditioning?".
      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Had a great IDYSD. This has been a busy year, and this is only the second show outing this year, so I was ready. Took a leisurely 60 mile stroll up to Tonkawa, OK, using the two lane, out of the way highways. Beautiful morning, 65 degrees at the start, and temps only got into the high seventies, with a nice breeze all day. Enjoyed the back roads, looking at the freshly plowed fields and crops.

Parked with some friends, had a great visit, and headed home via I35, because I wanted to come home the "back way", to avoid OSU football game traffic. Really enjoyed the drive, and several folks on the Interstate gave us thumbs-up.

The old Stude did me proud, was chosen as best of show. Entry fee was $20.00, I won a $20.00 cash door prize, a $50.00 cash prize and $20.00 prepaid entry for next year's show came with the plaque. 'Reckon I'll try to make it up there next year.

Oh, and my '54 was the only Stude in the show.
        sigpic
        Dave Lester

Comment

Some of us visited the Swigart Museum in Huntingdon, PA, oldest antique auto museum in the U.S. Click image for larger version

Name:	P9100321.jpg
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1708989 Got to board "Peg", one of the two Studebaker electrics that served the congressional subway in Washington, DC in the first two decades of the last century. Click image for larger version

Name:	P9100328.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	1708990 Click image for larger version

Name:	P9100330.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	1708991 Saw the "Tin Goose", the 1947 prototype Preston Tucker built to interest investors, as well as 1948 Tucker production #13. Click image for larger version

Name:	P9100346.jpg
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	1708992 The one-off 1936 Duesenberg Bill Swigart overbid Jay Leno. Click image for larger version

Name:	P9100334.jpg
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	1708993 ,as well as a number of other unique examples Click image for larger version

Name:	P9100340.jpg
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	1708994, every one of which can be started and driven. In addition to the world's largest badge collection and license plate collection, the Swigart has 160 very incredible vehicles in its collection. Only 35 fit in the display building at any given time, so there is always something new to be seen when you visit.
          Then we cruised about fifty miles to enjoy an amazing buffet at Prime Sirloin Buffet in Duncansville, PA. Click image for larger version

Name:	P9100350.jpg
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1708995
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

In spite of the nearly unbearable heat and humidity today we had a nice IDYSD. As mentioned in Post 16 above, Potomac Chapter members met at the Fharney-Keedy Home and Village, a nice rural retirement home close to Boonsboro, Maryland. The staff had done a nice job of getting ready for the group. They had even roped off their large parking lot closest to the main building. Ultimately only five Studebakers made the meeting because of the heat and un-air conditioned cars. However, the staff brought out about 25 wheelchair residents including our hero, Leonard Summers, over the time we were there. Cars that made it were Lynda and Murray Welsh and a guest in the '50 Champion, me in my '64 R-1 Avanti (with AC), Bob DeVore in his Flamingo '61 Hawk, Terry and Shirley McDaniel in their '63 Lark Regal four-door 259 V8 and overdrive (one family ownership since new, 130,000+ miles and completely original paint, interior and drive train), and finally Pat and Larry Merhaut in their '62 Lark Regal convertible, also a 259 with overdrive. By the way, the Welsh Champion "ain't your grandpa's Champion"- has overdrive, a 185 cid engine, dual carburetors and dual exhausts. He cruises at 75 on the Interstates with no problem.
            We were sure happy to see 92-year-old Leonard looking so good after having broken his hip a few weeks ago. He is walking with a walker, but couldn't manage it to come out where we were.
            Unfortunately, IDYSD coincided with Boonsboro Days in nearby Boonsboro and it's a big event. So, traffic was heavy even on the country roads and there were yard sales set up everywhere which slowed things down too.
            Attached Files
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

No pix for now. Chamber of Commerce gorgeous weather. 25 members and 6 guests. 10 Studebaker started, 4 peeled off after lunch. We drove 250 mile round trip from Wichita, KS to Chapman, KS and back. Whole event was 8 hours. We had lunch in McPherson at Montana Mike's, and toured the fantastic Kansas Auto Racing Museum. HAD A BALL!
              The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Two of us made an appearance at the Saturday night cruise in, my friend in his Speedster and my newly completed 53. I had gone over the carburetor this afternoon to fix a stumble and found a stuck secondary float valve and a shot accelerator pump. Cleaned it up and installed new float valves and reset the float height and new gaskets from the kit. It ran great so off we went to the cruise in. Unfortunate the kit did not include anything to make me smart enough to be sure the floats were not dragging on the bowl. It flooded out as I was leaving, but many came to my rescue and we pushed it, dried it out and drove it home at a good throttle. Its all part of getting a car back on the road.
                BillClick image for larger version

Name:	20160910_175050.jpg
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	1709006
                http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
                sigpic

Comment

For the last few years two Southern California SDC chapters have gotten together for an early dinner/late lunch at the Cocos on Imperial Highway in Brea CA. That is the Los Angeles Studebakers with the combined Beach Cities/Orange/Inland Empire chapter (which once were three separate groups and are now one club).
                  We did it again today.
                  It is 60 miles from my house which typically takes under 90 minutes. But not today.
                  Today every car in Los Angeles decided to get on the freeways and drive 12 miles an hour.
                  I left my house before 1 pm with the anticipation of getting there well before 2:30. That is not what happened.
                  I got there around 3:30, hot, sweaty, thirsty, and crabby. It wasn't a particularly warm day, but when you are driving a car with no AC and have the windows for cooling, and you are not moving, the windows do not cool you.
                  On the plus side I saw lots of hands sticking cell phones out their windows, pointed at my 1952 Land Cruiser. I know that people are showing off pictures of the old car that they saw on the freeways, driving along, like a regular vehicle. They may or may not know it is a Studebaker, but it got lots of attention.
                  Once I finally got to Cocos everything was friendly as can be with maybe 3 dozen Studebakers in the lot.
                  They ranged from 1920's era oldies to Avantis.
                  I go because of the wonderful comaraderie of Studebaker owners. But that drive had really knocked me out.
                  While I was sitting in the shade before this meal, I saw a woman with a pile of red papers, set one inside each car's open window. I figured it was a flier for some car show because that is usually what people set in your car.
                  But when it came time to drive home I looked to see what show it was advertising and it was not a show at all.
                  The cardboard said "Thanks for coming to "Drive Your Studebaker Day" September 10, 2016." Glued to it was a Studebaker key ring with a cut out Lazy S logo as the dangle.

The trip home (that I had dreaded after the drive there) was thankfully 100% normal. The only traffic jam was the usual logjam where 3 freeways come together and everyone has to change lanes. That is always slow. Other than that, all the traffic flowed and the trip took its normal 75 minutes or so.
                  My car clearly thought the trip back was wonderful. It acted just like a normal car, as if this were 1955, and it drove for its owner whenever that owner got in and turned the key.
                  Not a hint of a problem.

I changed my Studebaker's key from the generic ring that I had it on, to the new lazy S ring. Every time I drive that car now, I shall remember how I got it on Drive Your Studebaker Day.

Comment

Driving my '63 GT R2 Superhawk in Kainaliu-Kona HI.

Randy Bohannon
                    '63 GT R2 Superhawk
                    '64 Daytona Convertible
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(3).JPG
Views:	2
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	1709032Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(4).JPG
Views:	2
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1709033
                    Last edited by Randy Bohannon; 09-11-2016, 04:34 PM. Reason: add pictures

Comment

Lark8 girl had a nice Weekend of IDYSD. On Friday she saw a 53 Studebaker coupe driving in Fort Wayne. Saturday was rainy here so no Stude cruising. On a beautiful Sunday Morning we drove top down for breakfast. When coming out of the restaurant a couple of seniors told us how much they liked seeing the Lark. They said they once had one and loved it. Its great to hear the people that bought and drove Studebakers when new still have fond memories. It made Lark8 girls day to hear their story!
                      We drove into town and parked in the service drive of the old Studebaker dealer building in Huntington, Indiana for a photo stop.

Husband of Lark VIII girl.

Comment

So, I've been driving the Studebaker every day for the last couple - three weeks since my "modern" car has been in the shop. I made sure to drive the Champion on Saturday, even though it was just a run to the liquor store . I usually drive the Studebaker two or three days a week to work. It's a great car and helps remind one of he difference between wants and needs.
                        1950 Champion Sedan - Kid Car

Comment

Working...
                        X