1940 Commander Engine Specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 1940 Commander Engine Specs

I am currently in the process of tearing down my 1940 Commander engine since it wasn't in running order when I purchased the car. All of the exhaust valves were fairly rusted (anyone know why this is?) on the heads and one had seized. The cam timing gear was then had the teeth chewed off. I will post some pictures.

Anyway since the car hadn't run in 40ish years from what I was told we decided to just rebuild the whole thing. I believe it has 74k original miles but there is no way of really knowing other then what the condition of the engine looks like. Other then being super dirty so far there doesn't appear to be significant wear.

That brings me to my real question.

I am looking for complete specs for bearing measurements, torque, etc. I have the shop manual (and parts manuals) but the only thing I see in these is torque specs. Nothing on bearing specs. I am trying to determine if I need to get the block machined, purchase the correct bearings, rings, and depending on what happens with the block new pistons if I have to get over-sized ones.

Attached are some photos of the engine and one of my nasty valves and the manuals I currently own.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150723_20_48_30_Pro.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	1748511Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150903_21_52_44_Pro__highres.jpg
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	1748512Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150903_21_53_43_Pro__highres.jpg
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	1748513Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150831_22_16_53_Pro__highres.jpg
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	1748514 Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150819_22_16_05_Pro.jpg
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	1748515

The exhaust are often more likely to show rust because they run hotter and burn off the lubrication. Your valve actually looks pretty good. I use a bench mounted wire wheel to knock off the rust and carbon. You can polish the stem with some fine crocus cloth. If the head thickness is too thin then it can run red hot and cause preignition, and therefore should be replaced. The valve head in your picture looks very good.

Comment

For anyone else interested in this information I got some help over on the antique car forums.

I am currently in the process of tearing down my 1940 Commander engine since it wasn't in running order when I purchased the car. All of the exhaust valves were fairly rusted (anyone know why this is?) on the heads and one had seized. The cam timing gear was then had the teeth chewed off.Anyway s...

Comment

Working...
      X