Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

seeking 259 or 289 for lark in virginia ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seeking 259 or 289 for lark in virginia ...

Hey guys and gals,

If anyone has a motor they are parting with please let me know. This car needs to be back on the road, I don't like seeing it just rust away ...
    The car is a 3 speed with a frozen 259 currently(beyond repair).

Im looking for something that was running when pulled so I can just slap it in and move the car under its own power while I work on it.

thanks in advance
    "trying to save them from the crusher one at a time"

Good luck! I've been looking for such an animal for over three years now. I'm wanting one to put in my '55 truck. I have a couple of engines that I just have not taken the time to open up and evaluate. Intellectually lazy as I am, (along with being a "cheepo," and a "shortcut dreamer.")...I was content with the idea of finding someone with a spare V8 who would mostly be happy with me hauling it out of their way. I've even gone so far as to accumulate truck specific parts to make the swap practical. My dream is to have either a 259 or 289 coupled to a three speed with overdrive.

I've even had a few forum members make me offers. Only, there's always a catch, like waaaay off distance, or "it runs great, 'cept for the knock."

Then...a few weeks ago, someone here mentioned the difference between crank bolts for automatic and manual transmission equipped engines. It's always something, now I gotta be even more "picky," and take into consideration the crank torque converter vs flywheel bolts. Probably a piece of cake for you real mechanics, but an added challenge to us occasional "back-yarders."

So...are you looking for manual or automatic setup? Perhaps we can swap leads/offers if our search is different.

OK...so we're both looking for manual...had to come back edit, and acknowledge missing where you posted that.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

everyone's dream seems to be find a motor ready to roll , I on the other hand am trying to be realistic. I understand that I'm probably not got going to find a runner I realize that it will need a rebuild.

I just need to candidate for a rebuild.That in it self seems to be to real challenge. A local shop is doing the build once I source the motor .

I have to source all the rebuild parts but after looking around that may not be to Bad.

Comment

I am probably too far away, But, I have a 259 I pulled out of my 53 that needs building. I have a NOS crankshaft, steel head gaskets, and the heads are not very old, as well as pistons that have only 2000 miles. I am not going to build and will sell all parts together CHEAP. PM if intrested

Comment

There was a rebuilt 289 for sale in Hampton in the latest Central VA newsletter. I texted the info to George O 10 days ago, don't know if he bought it.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
            I am probably too far away, But, I have a 259 I pulled out of my 53 that needs building. I have a NOS crankshaft, steel head gaskets, and the heads are not very old, as well as pistons that have only 2000 miles. I am not going to build and will sell all parts together CHEAP. PM if intrested
            'Cept for a little intersection known as Atlanta...not too bad a trip for me.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

also should I keep to old drum brakes that work or upgrade to something newer and what kit do you recommend for the build? if im doing this I may as well do it right !!!

this is not ever going to be a concourse restoration, with that said lets keep it simple. I just want to enjoy my car and still be safe, looks are not important.

I plan to keep it rustic ,she has aged very well and the paint is still intact with minor rust at the bottoms of the doors (debris in the doors rusting from the inside out). I plan to go out there shortly and vacuum what I can out of the doors and seal it up better.

I'm removing the bench seat and getting a set of buckets (I'm 6'9 and the bench is trashed).

Comment

The doors have drain openings in the bottom, an old knife works well to open them up.

Comment

just got done cleaning the inside of the doors they had so much rust and dirt. cleaned about three inches out of each one lol .

Comment

Originally posted by Restobaker View Post
                    also should I keep to old drum brakes that work or upgrade to something newer and what kit do you recommend for the build? if im doing this I may as well do it right !!!

this is not ever going to be a concourse restoration, with that said lets keep it simple. I just want to enjoy my car and still be safe.
                    Ross, sounds like you and I are on the same page! Many SDCers have upgraded their front brakes to the Turner disc brake kit and speak very highly of it. I will do that to mine too, as soon as finances and time allow.

FWIW, here's another idea. You can upgrade to fuel injection/electronic injection for greater reliability, performance and economy. Dave Thibeault advertises in TW and does electronic ignitions. Hamilton Fuel Injection does TBI and now multi-port FI. I believe Joe Hall on this forum has the Hamilton TBI on his 56J. Not sure if the MPFI is available for Studes yet.

Fuel injection conversions for International Harvester, AMC and Studebaker vehicles
                    Mike Davis
                    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

A cautionary tale if you will:

I have been slowly working on a 259 for my 62 Lark hardtop. I have a turned crank in the basement. this is my "do everything right" engine

A few years ago I bought a 259 that originally in a truck and "rebuilt" for a 62 Hawk that the Hawk owner later replaced with a 289. As far as the Hawk owner knew the 259 was ok to go. This engine was to be my "get by V8" until I could get my "do everything right" engine finished. I brought the engine home, placed it on an engine stand and the following Monday my mother fell and broke her hip and arm which delayed doing anything while we spent time making Mom's home fall proof. I had hope that I could clean up the "get by V8" and get in in my Lark to upgrade from the OHV six.

Moving forward after a couple of years, I finally got a chance to pull the "get by V8" apart. I could see evidence of previous work on the lower end but I could also see evidence that #8 piston had a detination problem that pretty much destroyed the #8 piston and scored the cylinder. I cleaned up the bore as good as I could and replaced the piston with a extra from my stash of used parts after measuring and fitting but I really do not have much confidence in that cylinder. I also had concerns when I saw that the flex plate bolts all had been shortened by a torch so while the crank looked like it had been R&Red, somebody got in a hurry when the engine went from a stick to an automatic.

So after a number of years I have an V8 that I thought I could use ASAP still missing #8 piston and I am making due with my indestructible 62 vintage six with a leaky FOM.

be careful what you wish for.
                      \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
                      The Replacements.

Comment

I was told my motor needed too much work to rebuild. That it would take a major rebuild kit and it was better to find something in better shape. Foolishly I believed a friend that was helping me it turns out he doesn't know beans and my motor just has some stuck rings from sitting.

Im not 1000 % sure but I think I can save my block and most of the bottom end I just need to get it turning again.

I feel kind of stupid listening to other folks, and not doing my own work like I should have.

I was told to pull to rod caps and tap the pistons down and out is this safe ? Will I do and damage loosing the caps to tap loose the piston, this motor is going to be rebuilt but I would like to save what money I can I don't want to damage the crank.

Comment

The best thing you can do is gather materials, manuals, read, and spend some meditating while just staring at parts you are not overly familiar with. That way, things will begin to come into focus while you are allowing those internal engine components soak in your choice of penetrating lubricant, like Marvel Mystery Oil, PB Blaster, WD 40, or any other "Witch's Brew" you come up with. As you gain knowledge, you'll gain confidence. If you add appropriate "patience" with those two things...you'll greatly improve your chance of success. Even if you hire others to do your work, the more you know, you will be less likely to follow bad advice.

I have repaired bad distributors and carburetors that were unfamiliar to me. Some of the best time spent was by laying the components out and marveling at how they work together to perform their tasks. Mostly because I am too cheap to pay someone else to do the job, and I was forced to learn myself. Good luck with your project. Knowing to doubt the advice given by folks like me...puts you ahead.
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I have a 259 from a Champ that I turned over but did not start before I pulled it and a 289 from a 60 Hawk in SC. Both were said to run well but I would want to look at them deeper before I used them. Will be available after the 10th. Steve
                            sigpic

Comment

I received a private message that appears to have been meant for you, possible lead for a motor in central VA. I copied the words into a private message to you.

Comment

Working...
                              X