Another Starter Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Another Starter Question

I got a reman starter for my 63 lark the starter bendix is fully engaged and seems to be locked like that when I install the starter the teeth of the starter are engaged and touching the flywheel is this suppose to be like that ? If I crank the motor will the Bendix shoot back down and disengage ? I'm afraid of eating up the gear ring (again) here's a pic
    Attached Files

When you bench test a starter the bendix will extend. When installed and you start your
    engine when it reaches a certain RPM the bendix will retract.

Comment

not sure about the application, but the starter may need some shims to line up correctly.

others more knowledgeable about the Lark should be here soon...
      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Bendix looks engaged already. Did you keep the old one or exchange it. A Bendix is easy to swap, but if rebuilt unit purchased it looks stuck "on". Try manually rotating the rotating the gear only, it might snap back in, if it doesn't try grounding the case with a jumper and touch the post briefly with a positive cable from the battery. It should spin and hopefully retract when you remove the jumper. I wouldn't install till I was sure it was retracting or else it will stay engaged and wear the gear on the flywheel.

Comment

Most of the rebuilders leave it out like that.

Comment

There is no issue here. Install it as is. When the engine starts it will be rewound as it should be.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I did not send in my old one to get rebuilt I just flat out got a "new" one. I took it apart and the bendix is fully engaged like I thought. See the problem with my old one is that it was also fully extended like this one is but the old worn out one wouldn't disengage and cost me a flywheel. So when I got this new one I was just worried about it being fully extended from my past experience. Next week when im ready to crank it ill start the car let it run for a few seconds kill it pull the starter and make sure it retracts.

Comment

I just installed a starter in a 259 with the bendix extended and when the engine fired it threw it back into the stowed position.

Comment

I'm pretty sure you will know if the drive doesn't spin back, without removing the starter. It should make quite a noise if it stays engaged.

Comment

Working...
                  X