Stromberg WW rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Stromberg WW rebuild

I need to find a reputable carburetor rebuilder for the Stromberg WW in a '56 Power Hawk.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Jim,
    Your profile doesn't list your location, which may or may not make a difference. There are many carb shops to be recommended. I always default to Dave Thibeault (T-bow) in Maynard, Massachusetts. His business card is on page 65 of your Turning Wheels magazine.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

If Dave can't get to it, a good alternative is Daytona Parts Company in New Smyrna Beach FL. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

They are simple carbs. If you were near me, I would help you do it yourself.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          If Dave can't get to it, a good alternative is Daytona Parts Company in New Smyrna Beach FL. BP
          Hi Bob. Thanks for the info. I remember writing you for advice years ago when I was working overseas. And thanks for everything that you do!

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
            They are simple carbs. If you were near me, I would help you do it yourself.
            I know as I've practically done these in my sleep but this last time after installation gas just poured out every orifice in the whole thing. So I'm just going to resort to a rebuilder who'll do the cosmetics as well as the rebuild. After nearly sixty years of ownership, my beloved Power Hawk is going to go on the sales block just having turned over 90,000 miles.

I was hoping to have it ready this spring but minor mechanical gremlins prevented that and we just went into the hot summer season so I'll be laying low until later in September.

Thanks for the reply..

Comment

I just spoke with Dave yesterday. He's about finished with the carb for my Rockne. He sent the body and had it black zinc plated, just like original; first time off the car in 82 years; might as well do it right.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyOne View Post
                I know as I've practically done these in my sleep but this last time after installation gas just poured out every orifice in the whole thing. So I'm just going to resort to a rebuilder who'll do the cosmetics as well as the rebuild. After nearly sixty years of ownership, my beloved Power Hawk is going to go on the sales block just having turned over 90,000 miles.
                Sometimes the rebuild does get beyond a good cleaning and a kit.
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                  Sometimes the rebuild does get beyond a good cleaning and a kit.
                  I think what happened that somehow the float needle fell into the bowl. I'm too lazy at this point to pull the top off so off to a rebuilder it will go.

Thanks, JT

Comment

Rebuilding a Stromberg WW

I just rebuilt a WW two days ago, it's pretty straight forward. If you decide to give it a go let me know and I'll write up some tips. The kit should have an exploded view drawing which will help a great deal. I've also got a couple of old WW's here so I could take some explanatory phots if required.

Originally posted by GrumpyOne View Post
                    I think what happened that somehow the float needle fell into the bowl. I'm too lazy at this point to pull the top off so off to a rebuilder it will go.

Thanks, JT
                    Matt
                    Brisbane
                    Australia
                    sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                      +1.
                      Both carbs they've done for me, including a WW, operated perfectly right out of the box - and all the components are compatible with modern fuels. Not all rebuild kits are.
                      Andy
                      62 GT

Comment

Working...
                      X