No announcement yet.

'56 Golden Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So here's the story about THIS '56 Golden Hawk. It was the only Golden Hawk manufactured by Studebaker for export for the UK. It was left-hand drive. My father owned this car from what I was a baby until I was about 5 years old, when he sold it to buy an Oldsmobile. He wasn't the first owner of the car, but within the family; everyone wondered what had happened to the "Studebaker." He also owned a '57 Silver Hawk, solid white too.
    When my father bought the car (in London), it was solid white, except for the fins, which were black. He had these painted white to match the rest of the car. The interior had the white with grey / silver mylar cloth.
    I found my father's car in 1993, which is the second photo I posted. In 1998, I purchased by father's car with the intention of restoring it. Sadly, when it arrived to me, it was in wore condition that the second photo; hard to believe, but true. I had the car scrapped.
    I found some of the comments written here interesting; not least by all the guesswork going on...makes a hell of of a difference when the knowledge is available and known. The wing mirrors were on the car to help aid drive the car without getting scratched and dinged. To those who have never visited the UK the roads are much narrower. Today, I can have problems my Golden Hawk on some roads.
    The one thing I know is that my father loved his Golden Hawk more than any other car; the Oldsmobile, Pontiac Le Mans (total Friday lemon!), Plymouth Fury, the Rolls-Royces and all the other cars he had pass through his hands.
    Richard
    sigpic

Comment

Moms kinda cute,.... ?

Dean.

Comment

Frank's Authenticity Guide shows the only car exported to London England was 6033384 and had a Final Assembly Date of 08/10/56. His Production Order CD shows that the car was originally painted P5640 Yellowstone/Sunglow gold. That would mean the Yellowstone was on the roof and lower portion of the lower body and Sunglow Gold in the middle. With Body # 3391, it would have had the later paint scheme. Richard, does this sound like your car?
        JW

Comment

I've always felt that the Studebaker's two-tone paint combo of Sunglow Gold/Yellowstone was one of the nicest, if not THE nicest, paint combination offered for the 1956 passenger cars!

Unfortunately, not many '56 Studes came through that way

Comment

Hello Dean, that would be my late-grandmother who was visiting the UK at the time and I would have been a little over 2 years old
            Richard
            sigpic

Comment

Hi JW,
              I've just rooted out the old 'Log Book' (UK Vehicle Document) that I acquired when I located and bought my late-father's Golden Hawk. I can confirm that VIN #6033384 is correct and engine #S-4074 appear on the documentation with my father's signature on it. My mother also rang me from her home in Florida. When asked what color the car was my father bought it, she was unequivocal, solid white. She went on to explain that they bought the car from a Couple, who were returning to the USA. I may have taken a photo of the body number, but I can look for that another day.
              As stated earlier, my father was never the first registered owner, though the car first registered in the UK, 8th January 1957... and the stated color... Black & White. This wouls support the charcoal grey with silver mylar cloth and white bolster seats.
              Ha ha, what says Studebaker's records might be incorrect..?
              Richard
              Richard
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by packard352 View Post
                As stated earlier, my father was never the first registered owner, though the car first registered in the UK, 8th January 1957.
                Is that '135(???)' plate shown on the car in the current photo undergoing bodywork the same as when it was first registered? (By rights it should be as number plates are issued for the life of the car in UK.) What year was its last MOT/'tax disc' that was on the windshield before it was removed?

Craig

Comment

The car was scrapped. However, I have retained a log book, which I was told I had to give up if I had wanted my car to have the same number plate... snd there would be no guarantee. I kept the UK log book
                  Richard
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                    I've always felt that the Studebaker's two-tone paint combo of Sunglow Gold/Yellowstone was one of the nicest, if not THE nicest, paint combination offered for the 1956 passenger cars!

Unfortunately, not many '56 Studes came through that way
                    I agree. Again, from Frank A's Auth Guide, a total of 80 56Js were painted this color combination, 73 in South Bend, and 7 in LA.
                    JW
                    Last edited by The old lady; 06-22-2015, 06:29 AM.

Comment

So, when this COLOR picture was taken it was SOLID WHITE. Imagine that! Ed and I were both right at the same time! Oh crap the world is coming to an end!
                      Bez Auto Alchemy
                      573-318-8948
                      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Yes!....bezhawk and SN-60 both correct with differing answers to same question..........Oh My God!!!!!..............WORLDS COLLIDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

If the build sheet is correct, suglow gold/yellowstone; would the interior include the white / charcoal grey / silver mylar.? I would have guessed white / yellow vinyl...
                          Richard
                          sigpic

Comment

I am more inclined to believe that the Dealer Painted it White to sell it to the First Owner we know nothing about.

Numbers and Letters of words often get typed wrong on Production Orders but very rarely an item as important as the complete Color Words.

Most all of 4 '56 Hawk Models had the basic Gray Cloth insert with White Vinyl surround trim regardless of Body Color.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by packard352 View Post
                              If the build sheet is correct, suglow gold/yellowstone; would the interior include the white / charcoal grey / silver mylar.? I would have guessed white / yellow vinyl...
                              A very popular interior (with Sunglow/Yellowstone exterior) was white vinyl seating with either gold vinyl pleated seat inserts or 'grey' fabric seat inserts....All GH models for '56 would have the silver interior door panel mylar.

Comment

Working...
                              X