1952 2r16a. 50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1952 2r16a. 50

Hello to all and looking to jump into the the Studebaker addiction with both feet.i am looking at a 1952 2R16A cab and chassis truck which I have the opportunity to purchase. The truck has been fully restored and is what seems to me in showroom condition if not better.that being said I have a few questions that I am hoping to get answered by members here that have experience in these trucks and in Studebakers in general.

i am looking to not just drive the truck on the occasional weekend or to a show but something this beautiful should be out on the road as much as possible and shown off!!! So my first question is what is the drivability of a truck like this I know the comfort level would not be anything close to what's out there now but is it unrealistic to think a truck like this could not be driven 3 to 5 times a week 50 or so KM's??

i know that the trucks manufactured in the 40's did not have a very high top end is this the case with a 1952 as well so that driving it on highway would just not be feasible ?

and lastly I have been dooming some research into valuations what in the opinion of the forum members would this truck be worth as I said the restoration is absolutely A1

thank you in advance for your replies
    Chris

Ps will attach picture when I figure out how
    Attached Files

More pictures

Here are some more pictures
    Attached Files

Comment

That appears to be the late Bill Tilghman's truck. If so, I can tell you that it was a complete nut and bolt restoration. I visited with Bill several times during the restoration and can tell you it is first class.

Comment

That sure is a beautiful truck.
        I'm not sure what the rear end ratio is on it, but most large trucks from that time period were designed to be driven about 45 to 50 MPH tops.
        My 1949 Chevy 1 1/2 ton truck is really humming at 50 MPH.

Comment

Beautiful truck! I own a heavy duty 2 ton and it is a handful to drive to town but I enjoy every drive.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
            That sure is a beautiful truck.
            I'm not sure what the rear end ratio is on it, but most large trucks from that time period were designed to be driven about 45 to 50 MPH tops.
            My 1949 Chevy 1 1/2 ton truck is really humming at 50 MPH.

This information I received from the seller is that this truck is equipped with a split rear end
            shown in picture number 3

Comment

Very nicely done truck. It has a vacuum-operated two-speed rear axle, and the ratios are almost certainly 6.13 and 8.10:1 (slow and slower). As noted, trucks of that era were intended to trundle around town or farm at about 45 mph. The Commander 246 cu in engine is relatively slow-revving, but has a lot of torque. Driven at moderate speeds, they are very reliable, and all parts are available for them. The trans is likely to be a non-synchro Warner T9 4-speed or later T97. These trucks were not rare when they were new, but very few have been saved. They are always a big hit when out and about.
              Last edited by Skip Lackie; 06-11-2015, 06:07 AM.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Can you say car hauler.
                101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Originally posted by clonelark View Post
                  Can you say car hauler.
                  In the years that I knew him, all of Bill's truck restorations were done as cab and chassis. He told me more than once he did not like the looks of a body on the back.

Comment

That is one Beautiful Truck Chris. You did ask for our opinion on value however, and it's as always, in the Eye of the beholder (Buyer).
                    Have you researched prices for similar Units in the area of $15-20,000.00? Or quite a bit less?

Unfortunately, in spite of the builder's opinion, it does need a Stake Bed, Car Hauler Bed or similar, to be of use at a pretty good chunk of change.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Absolutely beautiful truck and probably being sold for less than the cost of restoration, as most are.

Having said that, drive it or one like it. A good friend fell in love with the looks of a Stude pickup, but hated driving the crash box and the bouncy ride. One ride to a regional meet was all his wife would tolerate. She hitched a ride back in an air conditioned BrandX. He sold it at a loss.

A hobby truck can be given radial tires, a higher ratio rear axle, gas shocks, some leaves out of the springs, a modern synchro transmission, bed of your choice and pretty soon you've doubled the cost and still have too little horsepower.

Again, drive it and maybe you'll find the realities of an old truck no problem. I drove a stock '55 E12 for thirty years, but I finally went modified. Now, it's got fiberglas springs, gas shocks, AC, PS, a Packard V8 and overdrive.

jack vines
                      Last edited by PackardV8; 06-11-2015, 06:20 PM.
                      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        That is one Beautiful Truck Chris. You did ask for our opinion on value however, and it's as always, in the Eye of the beholder (Buyer).
                        Have you researched prices for similar Units in the area of $15-20,000.00? Or quite a bit less?

Unfortunately, in spite of the builder's opinion, it does need a Stake Bed, Car Hauler Bed or similar, to be of use at a pretty good chunk of change.

yes have been doing the research and it's good news if you are a buyer on these stock type trucks the values tend to be low unless a seller can get a museum interested. As you mentioned,for my purposes I would have to get a custom bed made (I was thinking of aluminum to keep weight to a minimum) stake sides and hoops with a canvas cover.$$$

as someone else mentioned it may be smarter to go with a modified truck

Comment

Originally posted by Odintiger View Post
                          yes have been doing the research and it's good news if you are a buyer on these stock type trucks the values tend to be low unless a seller can get a museum interested. As you mentioned,for my purposes I would have to get a custom bed made (I was thinking of aluminum to keep weight to a minimum) stake sides and hoops with a canvas cover.$$$

as someone else mentioned it may be smarter to go with a modified truck
                          I wouldn't modify it, but wouldn't make it a long distance hauler or daily driver either. I have a 1946 M-16 with an Army box on the rear. It also has the bows and canvas top. It goes well with the green and black paint on the cab and fenders. I like your idea of aluminum to keep the weight down.

Comment

Absolutely it would be a shame to do anything to this one because of the time and care taken to restore it to factory/showroom condition ! The bed that I would install would have as little impact to the restoration as possible!

now looking at a 1942 black out M16 restored by the same gentleman as well ( oh my!) possibly as a package deal

I don't know if it's proper decorum in this forum to post this but would anyone be interested in the 1952. I just love the looks of the 42 what a awesome truck
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Odintiger; 06-12-2015, 09:16 AM.

Comment

I had a '51 2R16 for a very brief period about 10 years ago. Pretty much a twin to the truck your looking at. 245 Six, 4 speed with a 2 speed rear. Top speed, flat out, wide open, was 46 miles per hour. It was slow to get going and took a while to get to that 46. I was in high school at the time and a cousin (same age) and I took it out just to see how fast it would go. I was a short, scrawny 16 year old and I didn't drive it much.

I can't imagine how harsh the ride is without any weight at all on the back end. They ride better (relatively) with a heavy load, so I wouldn't worry about trying to save weight with an aluminum bed. The last 2 ton Studebaker truck I remember riding in was Jim Maxey's '62 Diesel a couple of years ago. Jim hit a slight dip in the road and I bounced up and my head hit the roof.

But it does look like a nice truck. If it's what you want, go for it! But, definitely drive it before you buy it.

Comment

Working...
                              X