EPAS on Buttercup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
    JACK - Do you remember the length...LOA or center to center, of that lengthened Pitman Arm?
    No, but I'll try to remember to measure it if I can remember to find it :>)

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
      That's one reason I'm doing it. Who needs power assist over 15 miles per hour.
      Now I'm starting to sound like another guy on this forum that thinks anyone that wants more that 175 HP must be crazy. Why would anyone need a car that would run more than 60 MPH. <G>
      You're exactly right Jerry~! Driving my '55 President coupe down the road was never a problem. Parking, getting in and out of the driveway, and maneuvering in small spaces was agony. Other than lack of power steering and a/c that 67,000 mile car was my favorite of all the classics I've owned over the years. Regarding HP, the 259 V-8 with a properly tuned WCFB was more than adequate. Floor boarding it at 45mph when the secondaries opened was surprisingly strong. The mega-HP engines being produced today are downright stupid, unless you have a powerful desire to lose you license. Back in the late '50's and '60's when you didn't see a cop every 3 minutes, we might have been able to enjoy something like that on rare occasions.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2053.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	1717923Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2059.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	1717924

Comment

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
        Yes, if we didn't have Studebakers, Haven't found an acceptable rack conversion yet, either hydraulic or electric--a center steer unit like a Chrysler or GM j car is a marginal way to do it, if you don't mind losing your Ackerman. The distance at the back of the cross member between control arm mounts is so small it doesn't leave enough room to get 6 plus inches of travel, and clear the oil pan at the same time. If someone uses an electric rack with center steer I might try it. Looked into a used Ford Taurus police rack (rear steer to get the rack motion correct) and using a traveling bar, but won't fit. Oh well, just have to live with the Bendix bag of snakes for now.
        Why not go 'balls to the wall' and install a Fat Man front clip? You can pick up five improvements at once, disk brakes, modern control arms, ball joints, rack 'n pinion steering (poweer or non-power), and correct Ackerman~!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	uggxUIu.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	1719565
          Jerry - Where did you get the round piece, in the fire wall, that the steering shaft is going through?...

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70451[/ATTACH]
            Jerry - Where did you get the round piece, in the fire wall, that the steering shaft is going through?...
            The outer shell is the original mast jacket. I machined the solid steel insert and pressed an oilite bushing into it.
            Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Thanks, Jerry. I'm having an extra Bell Crank Steering Arm shortened an 1 1/4" and re-welded. That way, when I get home in the spring, it'll be ready to swap with my Stock one. Between the shortened Steering Arm and EPAS, the steering effort and lock-to-lock should be just about right. I'm getting just too old to handle the Stock manual steering anymore...
              Last edited by 345 DeSoto; 03-04-2019, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Thanks, Jerry. I'm having an extra Bell Crank Steering Arm shortened an 1 1/4" and re-welded. That way, when I get home in the spring, it'll be ready to swap with my Stock one. Between the shortened Steering Arm and EPAS, the steering effort and lock-to-lock should be just about right. I'm getting just to old to handle the Stock manual steering anymore...
                Tony, so far, the only thing I would have done differently is make the upper column 1/2" longer and move the EPAS unit 1/2" closer to the firewall. Where the turn signal wires and horn wire come out of the column I just barely have room for a gromet at the original Studebaker column hanger.
                Jerry Forrester
                Forrester's Chrome
                Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Jerry,Thanks...noted...

Comment

Jerry - Just about where, on your bell crank, did you take out the 1" to shorten it?

Comment

Jerry - Just about where, on your bell crank, did you take out the 1" to shorten it?
                      About 2" from where the drag link attaches.
                      I just rechecked the lock to lock and it is 3 3/4 turns lock to lock.
                      Jerry Forrester
                      Forrester's Chrome
                      Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Hi Jerry, After talking to you I ordered one for my 62 Daytona the seller included the steering shaft with 2 knuckles as I thought that might make it easier for 25.00 as I thought it might make it easier. Your photos are as I envisioned it. I hope to get going on this in the next few weeks. Thanks, Fred

Comment

Originally posted by 1badstude View Post
                          Hi Jerry, After talking to you I ordered one for my 62 Daytona the seller included the steering shaft with 2 knuckles as I thought that might make it easier for 25.00 as I thought it might make it easier. Your photos are as I envisioned it. I hope to get going on this in the next few weeks. Thanks, Fred
                          Fred, did you find a supplier for the potentiometer/controller? I thought the guy in Portugal quit making them.
                          Jerry Forrester
                          Forrester's Chrome
                          Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

There is an outfit called Galaxy, in Baldwin Park that makes a kit with the controller included. You could check with them maybe they would sell one separately. Robert 626-945-0095.

Comment

Are these what you are looking for? Should be the first three listings on Ebay.

Get the best deals for electric power steering controller at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                                The outer shell is the original mast jacket. I machined the solid steel insert and pressed an oilite bushing into it.
                                Jerry, I am getting ready to start on my epas project for my Champ truck. I have most things figured out. The one area I am still fuzzy on is how you attached to the original steering box. Adapting to the hollow steering shaft has me wondering what is best
                                1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Working...
                                X