No announcement yet.

EPAS on Buttercup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember this thread from last year. My 64 Champ is also in need of an assist. Very interested...
    Mike Davis
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Jerry,
      I'd REALLY like to keep my Sky Hawk upper column/hub/steering wheel...and upgrade the steering box to a "bolt in" quicker steering box...OTHER than the Stock Ross Sky Hawk box. How difficult would it be to just splice the EPAS unit onto the Stock Sky Hawk column...sorta "cut and paste"? Your thoughts?...

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
        Jerry,
        I'd REALLY like to keep my Sky Hawk upper column/hub/steering wheel...and upgrade the steering box to a "bolt in" quicker steering box...OTHER than the Stock Ross Sky Hawk box. How difficult would it be to just splice the EPAS unit onto the Stock Sky Hawk column...sorta "cut and paste"? Your thoughts?...
        It can be done. It's just a lot of work. But no more than what I had with using an after market chrome tilt column. I don't know if your Hawk has the horn wire up through the column shaft. If so, that's something you'll have to contend with.
        As far as the quicker steering box, good luck with that.
        I used the original Ross box but took an inch out of the bell crank arm that attaches to the drag link. That changed it from about 5 turns lock to lock to a tad over three.
        Jerry Forrester
        Forrester's Chrome
        Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Interesting; one inch cut out of the bell crank arm... the bit that atatches to the pitman arm & steering box, if that's the drag link bit? Or to the tierods end with the two/2 holes?
          (I aint much of an expert on US language...)

Comment

Jerry,
            Three things...First, THANK you for the response. Next. I imagine I could pull the horn wire and run it on the outside of the column. It does run down the center of the steering shaft now. Third...In addition to shortening the bell crank, I wonder if it would shorten the number of lock to lock turns if the Pitman arm were to be shortened... or if that would be detrimental to the steering system. Thoughts?...

Comment

Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
              Interesting; one inch cut out of the bell crank arm... the bit that atatches to the pitman arm & steering box, if that's the drag link bit? Or to the tierods end with the two/2 holes?
              (I aint much of an expert on US language...)
              The drag link goes from the pitman arm to the bell crank. That part of the bell crank is what I shortened.
              I'm not advising you to do this.I'm just telling you what I did.
              Jerry Forrester
              Forrester's Chrome
              Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Okidoki, thanx!
                I'm just curious, I have a bit over 4 turns so I'm not sure I'll need it.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l400.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	1717840

Jerry,
                  Is this what I need?...02-07 SATURN VUE EQUINOX COMPLETE ELECTRIC POWER STEERING PUMP MOTOR COLUMN EPAS

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
                    Jerry,
                    Three things...First, THANK you for the response. Next. I imagine I could pull the horn wire and run it on the outside of the column. It does run down the center of the steering shaft now. Third...In addition to shortening the bell crank, I wonder if it would shorten the number of lock to lock turns if the Pitman arm were to be shortened... or if that would be detrimental to the steering system. Thoughts?...
                    The only thing shortening the pitman arm would do is give you a larger turning radius. To get less turns lock to lock you would have to lengthen the pitman arm or the second part of the bellcrank (the part the tierods hook to), or SHORTEN the first part of the bellcrank, or the third arms (quick arms that Stude vendors sell}.
                    Jerry Forrester
                    Forrester's Chrome
                    Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

I don't believe the guy in Portugal is selling the conversion wiring harness anymore & I'm in the middle of moving & where the harness I bought is the 64K question. If anyone has one of these harnesses perhaps we can get Lark Works to make them available. Our cars may or may not need this but Champs do! (at least my 3 could use it!)
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

To get less turns lock to lock you would have to lengthen the pitman arm
                        FWIW, that was a 1960s Stude racer trick; cut one at the bottom and one at the top and weld together. The '56 Power Hawk I drove from 1970-95 had a lengthened Pittman arm and it did steer a bit heavier, but I was young and strong. That steering box and arm is still around the shop somewhere.

jack vines
                        PackardV8

Comment

If you can find it back I think a picture would be interesting.
                          Last edited by Noxnabaker; 02-26-2018, 02:48 PM.

Comment

WARREN WEBB - Try here https://www.ebay.com/itm/Saturn-Vue-...VZwneP&vxp=mtr

Comment

BTW - These are what I bought for doing the EPAS on my Sky Hawk... $88... https://www.ebay.com/itm/09-10-11-12...xYJJj7&vxp=mtr and this https://www.ebay.com/itm/09-10-2009-...!US!-1&vxp=mtr

I researched different EPAS systems, and with the controller, the Toyota Corolla is, by far the least complicated to hook up...3 wires only...power, ground, and ignition on...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4TYQ_KJSpc
                              Last edited by 345 DeSoto; 01-08-2018, 02:58 PM.

Comment

JACK - Do you remember the length...LOA or center to center, of that lengthened Pitman Arm?

Comment

Working...
                                X