No announcement yet.

Where's my kickdown switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks gordr and Jerry- I will examine the cable the next time I have a chance to work on the car. Hopefully, will also get the lockout switch in a couple of days and have some new results to report soon.

Comment

After reading some of the issues presented by the lockout switch (ie: discontinued after '55- but other wiring remains the same- switch is in effect, bypassed) what happens if you just wire the kickdown switch directly to the governor? Gotta be a few folks that have done that.. Thanks for the input.

Comment

The lockout switch is normally closed, to complete the circuit to the governor. When the shifter is placed in reverse, a rail attached to the shift fork shifts from overdrive to direct drive. This is necessary because the car will not reverse in overdrive due to the one-way clutch. That rail also pushes the lockout switch plunger to break contact and open the ground circuit to the governor. The lockout switch was eliminated because it was somewhat redundant.
        To thoroughly understand the operation of this unit I recommend the Borg-Warner overdrive booklet advertised in Turning Wheels classified section. It includes driving tips and troubleshooting procedures.
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Thanks, Dewain. I'll get ahold of it and give it a good goin' over. I might have bigger issues here, but until I get the electrical working, seems like I won't know.

Comment

Working...
          X