Body off without rotisserie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body off without rotisserie

I'm definitely planning to lift the body of the ol' Kaiser off the frame to address rust and other issues. I'll pull out the glass and remove doors and interior. Don't have access to a rotisserie here and was thinking about heavy duty saw horses - if there is such a thing. Anyone ever try something like this?

I elevated my '53 with a scissor hoist under the frame. Imagine replacing this with two stout saw horses. Then removed the fenders, stood angle iron on the floor and drilled to match the bolt locations in the A and C pillars. Bolted the angle iron to the pillars and then removed the scissor hoist; dropped the frame from under the body. I'll admit a bit unorthodox but, body geometry could not be compromised. Your results may vary.
    Last edited by rockne10; 05-04-2015, 05:45 AM.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I raised my wagon with camper jacks and 4X4s.

Comment

Great ideas! Thanks guys!

Comment

I used a cherry picker and a 2x8 spreader from the inside to pick the body up one time.
          Fiddled with the balace point a bit, but it worked (and I was alone)
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

4 30 gal oil drums, 2 4x6 beams, and engine hoist aka cherry picker.

Pick up one end w/hoist and slide beam under body and set on 2 drums. Repeat on other end. Roll chassis out.

The nice part, is the beams are less in your way working on underside of the floors compared to saw horses. If oil drums cannot be found, I am sure something else suitable to set outboard of the body under the beam ends would work too.

This method came by way of my dad. Dad never restored a car but he used to sometimes hang around the town body shop as a teen in the late 40s and 50s and that is what they did there, except I think no hoist was used as they had enough guys around the shop to all just grab a corner and grunt.

Jeff in ND

Comment

I got lucky and had a wood beam in the ceiling of my garage. Lifted it with two cable come a longs.
              I just use a3/8x2" flat bar in the top door hinge pocket. Made it easy to adjust and find balance.
              Your situation will surely be different but it's not hard to figure out.
              Dean.

Comment

Originally posted by dean pearson View Post
                I got lucky and had a wood beam in the ceiling of my garage. Lifted it with two cable come a longs.
                I just use a3/8x2" flat bar in the top door hinge pocket. Made it easy to adjust and find balance.
                Your situation will surely be different but it's not hard to figure out.
                Dean.
                Pretty much the same way I did mine. Rolled the frame out and supported the body on saw horses. I have since got a real nice rotisserie to make body repairs easier.

Comment

Working...
                X