No announcement yet.

Silver Hawk Major Modifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not one good "Studebaker" mechanic? What's that?? If you can't fix a Stude--you're not a mechanic!! If you can't fix them, you sure can't fix a Chebby !! Just my experience--a mechanic should be able to fix and work on anything, there is certainly no special quirks on a Studebaker, just "old" engineering. Granted some parts may be harder to find quickly and your local parts store won't have a listing, that's why we're here!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post

Not one good "Studebaker" mechanic? What's that?? If you can't fix a Stude--you're not a mechanic!! If you can't fix them, you sure can't fix a Chebby !! Just my experience--a mechanic should be able to fix and work on anything, there is certainly no special quirks on a Studebaker, just "old" engineering. Granted some parts may be harder to find quickly and your local parts store won't have a listing, that's why we're here!!!!

I'm a professional machinist and simply a back yard mechanic. Yes, I can fix any car (been working on cars since I was 14) but if you've read all my previous posts you know that I have no plans to live forever. When I am enjoying my "eternal dirt nap" I can sleep soundly knowing that my daughter can take her car down to the local Exxon or Firestone and get her car fixed easily and parts will be readily available. Now if I could live forever I would leave the Silver Hawk completely stock with maybe a disc brake conversion and stock power steering. I would overhaul the front end and replace the seals in the steering box (sector). My wife didn't want my daughter going off to some university somewhere and not be able to take the car to any mechanic to get it fixed and honestly, neither would I.

Treblig

Comment

You shouldn't feel the need to defend yourself. Come on guys.. Be a little more welcoming and supportive!!

There's always the constant "How do we get new/younger members?" question being asked. Here we have a new, young Studebaker enthusiast who's dad is building her the car she wants to the specs that meet their needs.

Keep it up the good work and thanks for posting.

Comment

Today's Goodies

I plan to install power brakes so the batteryClick image for larger version

Name:	DSC04493.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	1696494Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04494.JPG
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	1696495Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04495.JPG
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	1696496Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04496.JPG
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	1696497Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04497.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	1696498 has to move to the truck so today I ran a heavy cable from the front to the back along the inside frame:

In Texas a front license plate is required so i custom made a heavy duty bracket to hold a 40s/50s license plate holder on the front bumper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04503.JPG
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	1696502Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04504.JPG
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	1696501Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04501.JPG
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	1696500Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04500.JPG
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	1696499Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04507.JPG
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	1696503

Treblig

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
            Treblig,

It really sounds like you have focused on change for it's own sake...
            I don't think he has (read the whole thread), but in any case "change for change sake" is actually allowed in the car hobby. Folks have been doing just that since...well since there were cars .

What Treblig is building may not be what YOU'D do, but I doubt if that was part of his decision making process.

To me, it sounds like a well planned out, well financed build being done by a skilled mechanic/fabricator/car guy. I don't pop in here often, but I will follow this thread. It is like "the old days" of the forum where guys posted their projects, kept us up to date on progress, and asked for help when needed. It is what the hobby is all about (IMHO).
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
              It is like "the old days" of the forum where guys posted their projects, kept us up to date on progress, and asked for help when needed. It is what the hobby is all about (IMHO).
              Well said Dick and you too Matt. Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                I don't think he has (read the whole thread), but in any case "change for change sake" is actually allowed in the car hobby. Folks have been doing just that since...well since there were cars .

What Treblig is building may not be what YOU'D do, but I doubt if that was part of his decision making process.

To me, it sounds like a well planned out, well financed build being done by a skilled mechanic/fabricator/car guy. I don't pop in here often, but I will follow this thread. It is like "the old days" of the forum where guys posted their projects, kept us up to date on progress, and asked for help when needed. It is what the hobby is all about (IMHO).
                Thanks you so much for your statement Dick....One of the main reasons I joined this web site was that I knew what I was going to do and "thought" it would be nice for me to document everything I did to make it easier for the next Studebaker enthusiast. I've never been one of those guys who attempts to make something all original. I mean, those all original cars are very nice and they are usually beautiful but I love a challenge and I enjoy doing something that is not easy. When I worked in the machine shop manufacturing aircraft parts I was the one who picked the most difficult things to make because that's the only way I felt challenged. This is not "change for change sake ", this is change, because in this case, it is necessary. It just so happens that I enjoy it!!
                Of course the other BIG reason I joined this web site is for information. I never claimed to know everything, although I did claim that there was nothing I couldn't make or manufacture. I couldn't build a nuclear reactor but I have assembled and tested Atomic bombs many times. Dick you are correct about one thing, I'm still living in the "old days"...having a vision and building toward that vision. I don't mind some folks here asking/telling me to NOT do this or NOT do that, I understand that there are purists out there who see no reason to change anything. For me, it's no fun at all if I don't change something. Even my all original '69 Barracuda!! I've installed a 2004R overdrive and it improved the car 1000 percent. On the Mopar website I had more than one person tell me to leave the car original. Of course I didn't listen and I really love /enjoy the car a lot more now!!

Name:	DSC04255.JPG
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	1696505Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04274.JPG
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	1696506

thanks again,
                PS - I will not be deterred, the more someone tells me I shouldn't the more I am inclined to do it!!!
                Treblig

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                  Well said Dick and you too Matt. Bob

Thanks to you too Bob!!! It makes me happy to know there are others out there who understand and/or appreciate that I have a purpose. I received the universal brake pedal system/booster/master cylinder and will post pics soon!! My son's '46 Chevy before and after. When I got the '46 it was an empty shell (body only) on a frame.

Name:	DSC04486.JPG
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	1696507Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01074.jpg
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	1696508Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01077.jpg
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	1696509Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01078.jpg
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	1696510Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04248.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	1696511

Treblig

Comment

You didn't show the ends on the battery cable.
                    The best ends to use are mechanically crimped using a specialized crimp tool. Makes a connection that provides the best conductivity.
                    Some use a terminal that's soldered to the cable but there are disadvantages to them.
                    Brass battery terminals with external heat shrink tubing over the cable and terminal connection.
                    It has a sealing compound that seals against moisture and acid corrosion.
                    South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Originally posted by Treblig View Post
                      Thanks to you too Bob!!! It makes me happy to know there are others out there who understand and/or appreciate that I have a purpose. I received the universal brake pedal system/booster/master cylinder and will post pics soon!! My son's '46 Chevy before and after. When I got the '46 it was an empty shell (body only) on a frame.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43313[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]43314[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]43315[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]43316[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]43317[/ATTACH]

Treblig
                      Interesting that the stock chevy frame used the same construction as a Stude.
                      I wonder when chevy stopped using that construction style ?
                      Last edited by 55 56 PREZ 4D; 04-29-2015, 11:11 PM.
                      South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Hey Treblig, Great looking project. I've been a Studebaker driver for many decades. Almost all of the Studes I've driven for any duration during that time have been Stude powered. But I gotta tell ya, I'm am right now, getting ready to go to Chevy LS power for my beloved 54 Coupe. Its had Stude power since I bought the car in 1971. But its time for me to try something new. We're gonna use a 6.0 with a Z06 cam backed up with a T56 6 speed. I'm getting excited just thinkin about it.
                        I admire your efforts for your daughter. Good going. And keep up the good work.
                        sals54

Comment

You SHOULDN'T need to defend yourself. No one should harsh your mellow.
                          Take a look at the "Nissan Skyline drive train and suspension adapted to 48 Stude" thread.
                          Different strokes for different folks.
                          South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Treblig,

I'm really not trying to pick on you. From the beginning I was fairly sure that much of the allure of the build was the challenge of doing it. I just wanted to verify that was your motivation for doing it, which you did. I certainly didn't mean that it can't be done or shouldn't be done, in fact this is such a simple build that it has been done hundreds of times over the last thirty five years. In fact there is nothing modern about the technology that you are that you are using. The Mustang II/ Pinto technology is at least forty five years old and the 700R4 is thirty five years old! The original Studebaker equipment has proven itself to be at least as reliable as the Chevrolet parts that you are replacing them with. As Fred said in #46 "If you can't fix a Stude you're not a mechanic! If you can't fix them you sure can't fix a Chebby!" The two things that I would take issue with are the words "modern" and "reliable," neither one of these terms is in my definition of forty year old technology. You asked for opinions and I have given you my own. Your time, your money and your project so go for it, but do it because you want to not because you think you have to.-Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
                              Treblig,

I'm really not trying to pick on you. From the beginning I was fairly sure that much of the allure of the build was the challenge of doing it. I just wanted to verify that was your motivation for doing it, which you did. I certainly didn't mean that it can't be done or shouldn't be done, in fact this is such a simple build that it has been done hundreds of times over the last thirty five years. In fact there is nothing modern about the technology that you are that you are using. The Mustang II/ Pinto technology is at least forty five years old and the 700R4 is thirty five years old! The original Studebaker equipment has proven itself to be at least as reliable as the Chevrolet parts that you are replacing them with. As Fred said in #46 "If you can't fix a Stude you're not a mechanic! If you can't fix them you sure can't fix a Chebby!" The two things that I would take issue with are the words "modern" and "reliable," neither one of these terms is in my definition of forty year old technology. You asked for opinions and I have given you my own. Your time, your money and your project so go for it, but do it because you want to not because you think you have to.-Bill

Bill, I have not at any point felt like I was being pick on. I have in previous posts written that I know there are purist in every make of car, foreign and domestic. I put a V8 Chevy in a Vega back in the 70s so I know what you're taking about. I realize that the Studebaker drive trains were dependable, heck....people have driven Studes cross country thousands of times over the years. My major goal is to make the car a little safer and make it so my daughter can get the car fixed quickly and easily when I'm not around. Plus I have to make the wife happy, after all she has gone along with all my other projects!! Members have asked me why I'm doing what I am doing and I don't get upset or angry, I merely explain why??? It doesn't deter me from my goal, I was committed the moment I sent 14 thousand dollars to a complete stranger in Alabama to buy a car I had never seen "in person". I had already done all the research and knew what I was going to do long before the car arrived.
                              I joined this site for two reasons: to help others by documenting the build and to get information because I don't know everything.
                              Thanks for your input,
                              Treblig

Comment

Originally posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
                                You didn't show the ends on the battery cable.
                                The best ends to use are mechanically crimped using a specialized crimp tool. Makes a connection that provides the best conductivity.
                                Some use a terminal that's soldered to the cable but there are disadvantages to them.
                                Brass battery terminals with external heat shrink tubing over the cable and terminal connection.
                                It has a sealing compound that seals against moisture and acid corrosion.
                                I didn't show the ends because they are still bare. Since I'm still driving the car here and there as I make modifications I need to leave the battery under the hood until I have built a box for it (in the trunk). I left each end extra long so I can trim to the correct length, then I'll install the lugs. I coiled the ends up under the car and zip tied them onto the frame until I'm ready to make the switch. I'm trying to get all the simple stuff out of the way in advance. I don't have one of those mechanical crimpers (they are nice) so I'll probably go with the solder joint, spray it with an anti corrosion coating then wrap it with linerless electrical tape (which will seal it from the atmosphere.

treblig

Comment

Working...
                                X