Silver Hawk Major Modifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Treblig View Post
    I recently purchased a very nice 59 Silver Hawk. I bought it for my 15 year old daughter (it was the car she wanted). Before I can let her drive it I plan to make many modifications. Mustang II cross member w/power disc brakes, Chevy 350 w/700R4 trans, center console with shifter, bucket electric seats. The car must be dependable and safe and she has to be able to get it fixed wherever she might go. It currently has a perfectly good running original V8 with good two speed automatic which will be removed and sold. My plan was to take pictures and document the transition for others on this site who might be interested. I know that some members here will say "leave it original!!", but the only way my wife will let my daughter have the car is if has a newer drive train, power disc brakes, overdrive trans and shoulder harness seat belts (another modification). Oh yes, modern AC unit, it's very hot and humid where we live. As per my daughter's instructions I plan to keep as many of the original body parts as possible because she really likes the original look of the car.
    I'm posting here today to see if there is any interest in what I am about to do. If there is sufficient interest I will do my best to document everything and post it all here. I will post pics of the car as soon as possible.

PS - I couldn't find a title that read, "Engine/Transmission swap", could the moderators help with that??? Anyway, I had to select "Engine" for the title.

treblig
    You might have her help do the build.This can be very trying. But they value the car more and try to take better of the car. My girls helped on their cars. A think they even learned a thing or two.

Comment

• I have had her help me from time to time but since she's going full time to College and also have a part time job I can only get her out there from time to time. But I totally agree with you about the "buy in". Now that summer is here she should be able to get more involved.
      I do take the time to pull her outside for 10-15 at a time (dragging her away from her homework) to explain how everything works, like the emergency brake, fan relays, neutral safety switch and so on. I still need to show her how to jump the battery if she ever needs to do that.

treblig

Comment

• I plan to replace the cracked driver's door glass on my daughter's 59 Silver Hawk later this week. While I have the glass out I also plan to replace the vent window rubber seal. Are there any hints I need to know to remove/replace the rubber seal? Does the seal require any rivets or bonding glue...hidden screws? I was hoping to have everything I need together before I start.
        I'll also post pics in case anyone needs to see any details.

Thanks in advance,
        Treblig

Comment

I plan to replace the cracked driver's door glass on my daughter's 59 Silver Hawk later this week. While I have the glass out I also plan to replace the vent window rubber seal. Are there any hints I need to know to remove/replace the rubber seal? Does the seal require any rivets or bonding glue...hidden screws? I was hoping to have everything I need together before I start.

Thanks in advance,
          Treblig

I was hoping that my original service manual would give me some information on the seal replacement but all it explains is how to remove the vent window and never mentions the seal.

TrebligClick image for larger version

Name:	DSC07561.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	1713892

Comment

• From many posts I've read here from people that have done it, it is quite a fussy job. Seems the current repro seals seem too big, but done correctly they eventually manage to fit them in.
            The Forum search function is difficult to get results from, but using Google with "Studebaker Drivers Club Forum" as one of your search words seems to help a lot.
            KURTRUK
            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
              From many posts I've read here from people that have done it, it is quite a fussy job. Seems the current repro seals seem too big, but done correctly they eventually manage to fit them in.
              The Forum search function is difficult to get results from, but using Google with "Studebaker Drivers Club Forum" as one of your search words seems to help a lot.
              I conducted a search before I wrote this post. I couldn't find any good explanations on what holds the seal "in" (rivets, glue, press fit). I wanted to have any rivets, tools or glue in hand before I disassemble the door vent glass. I did read about the seal (SI) being a little large but that it will settle "in" over time. If it just presses into place then that would be great??
              Would like to know "first hand" if anyone had actually replaced the seal and what problems to look out for.

Treblig

Comment

I plan to replace the cracked driver's door glass on my daughter's 59 Silver Hawk later this week. While I have the glass out I also plan to replace the vent window rubber seal. Are there any hints I need to know to remove/replace the rubber seal? Does the seal require any rivets or bonding glue...hidden screws? I was hoping to have everything I need together before I start.

Thanks in advance,
                Treblig
                You might want to look at this blog that has a step-by-step description, including photos, of the vent wing window reseal process. Here's the link: http://adirondack-pete.blogspot.com/2014/

Dave is a member here.

Wilbur V.

Comment

• Thanks Wilbur, that web site helped some. Today I removed the driver's door glass and the vent. The door glass came out pretty easy but the vent glass assembly took a little more time.

Here's the small screw hidden in the rubber seal at the bottom. I had to cut away some of the old seal to get to it:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07567.JPG
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	1713904

Here are the "solid" 5/32" rivets that hold the rubber seal (one on each end).

Name:	DSC07575.JPG
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	1713912Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07574.JPG
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	1713911

Here's a close up of the metal trim piece that the thick felt is attached to. The felt closes the gap between the door glass and the vent glass. It also acts a guide as the door glass comes up. I didn't know that I was going to need new felt so I'm working on a fix. The 90 degree thin piece of metal is also riveted onto the stainless trim that covers the front edge of the door glass.

Name:	DSC07573.JPG
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	1713910Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07572.JPG
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	1713909

Here's what was left of the felt.....it looks about 50 years old!!

Name:	DSC07571.JPG
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	1713908Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07570.JPG
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	1713907

Holes for the screws that hold the vent assembly to the door.

Name:	DSC07569.JPG
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	1713906Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07568.JPG
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	1713905

Another close up of one of the rivets that holds the ends of the seal:

Name:	DSC07576.JPG
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	1713913

Tomorrow I plan to take the passenger's side apart.
                  treblig

Comment

• Originally posted by shifter4 View Post
                    This general type of modification ( i.e. modern engine , suspension etc) has been done many, many times .
                    There are usually some of these for sale , within any reasonable time frame . There's a fair number of them ,all things
                    considered . 2-6 weeks on eBay , and other sites will give a choice . Ask around your local SDC Chapter too .
                    The bugs if any will mostly have been worked out by the seller.

Much better brakes ,modern overdrive automatic etc, for the Stude engine , as mentioned above ,are available.

Why not wait , and check out some of these , rather than cut up a nice car, that has good value , as original ?

Good luck .
                    've seen them from time to time. My question which never seems to get answered to my satisfaction is "who did the work". I've seen some stuff come into my brother's shop that was downright dangerous and scary. I'm reminded of that battery ad where the two empty heads are beating the battery with a hammer saying "don't worry, it'll fit~!" Wanna watch something scary? Watch the 4 part video from Fat Man Fabs on YouTube. Ever try to ride one of those bicycles where you turn the handlebars to the right and the wheel turns to the left~?
                    I

Comment

Working...
                    X