Thread: Randy Wilkin's M5 project is Done!

President Member

Randy Wilkin's M5 project is Done!

This is my M16 $99 e-bay project that I am changing to a M5 pickup. Original motor,trans.,fenders, heater and other items went to get other trucks on road. truck was missing all grilles,all trim and had a caved in top. this truck now has a tame 350 Chevy,700r4overdrive,and 3:73 limited slip 12 bolt rear. Has A.C.,power steering,power disc brakes and tilt wheel. Front sheet metal is in body shop .I am in Hillsboro,Ohio and 56 years old and hunted one of these trucks for about 20 years.

Below is a picture taken outside as I was leaving Rick Futrells upholstery shop. front sheet metal is at paint shop. Seats are out of a Dodge Dakota.{Right click on the unopenned picture to see update on interior.)(truck is done. right click unopenned picture to see truck finished).

Randy Wilkin
    Randy Wilkin
    1946 M5 Streetrod
    Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Speedster Member
    Randy-
    Very, very nice!!
    What are the seats from?

Hey, Randy!

Your custom M5 is gonna be a knockout when you get it all together. Hope to see it close up, until then keep sending pictures.

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
    53 Starliner Hardtop
    Newton Grove, NC

Golden Hawk Member
    Lookin' good Randy! [8D]

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

President Member
    easiest way to update a picture of my truck with nos front bumper and side mirrors added.

Randy Wilkin
    1946 M5 Streetrod
    Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

SWEET!

Chris Pile
    Midway Chapter SDC
    The Studebaker Special

President Member
    Very nice. Love the M series trucks.

Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO
    President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.

Randy, nice M5.
    One of my all time favorite trucks. I would like to build me one.

Personal Website
    1950 Studebaker Retro-Rod Project
    www.1950studebakerretrorod.com

Golden Hawk Member Dick Steinkamp's Avatar
    Sweet! Right color. Right Stance. Right wheels []

The short running boards were actually considered for the M5's. Here's a pic from the June '86 TW of a prototype with the short boards...

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Speedster Member
    Randy-
    Awesome job- Luv that color!!!

dan0

President Member
    Adding a couple pictures .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Randy Wilkin
    1946 M5 Streetrod
    Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

That dash looks amazing!
    1961 Studebaker Hawk

President Member
    You can see between the 2 inside pictures that I changed the a/c vents to match the dash. I just keep seeing little things that I think can improve looks . Also ,I see I have 2 posts on my truck , I had lost the first one (this one) and started a new one. Found this one again by putting my name in google and led me to it! Don't know if you can see them ,but I have led lights in upper bed tubes !

Champion Member
    Randy,
    Your truck is outstanding. I like what you did to the tailgate. I have a '61 Champ with a tailgate that is rusted through at the bottom. I'd like to do something similar to what you did by cutting away the lower portion and installing tube stock as you did. I realize I'm copying you and am asking a very general question, but can you tell me anything about how you mounted the bottom tube to the hinges?
    Thanks,
    Don

President Member
    I built my bed , so didn't have stock hinges . All we did was put bushings in the bottom bar and ran a solid rod thru the bar and into the 2 braces on bed . My bars are Douglas dc8 Aircraft thrust reverser pistons. The rear bumper is a torque tube from a aircraft. I worked as a Sheet metal tech at ABX AIR and drew a lot of parts out of trash bin. Also bent the bed up at work . All new metal for bed and rear panels cost $140 . If I can help in any way ,please let me know !
    Randy Wilkin
    1946 M5 Streetrod
    Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

President Member
    I just want to mention a change I made on my truck , Had a motor problem (350 Chev. ) Took it out. While fixing motor, addressed a cooling problem . Truck wanted to run at 195 degrees ( 180 Stat ) and in low 200s in town . That was with A/C off. Did away with my 65 Mustang 3 row Copper Radiator and installed a 2 (1 inch tubes) Aluminum Radiator for a 65 Mustang from Jegs , Also installed a high output Water pump and really aggressively sealed around the radiator . Truck since runs on the hottest day at 177 degrees down the road (same stat ) and may go to 190 in town traffic , but immediately goes to 177 when I get moving , A/C only bumps it a few degrees , Took it out on a 40 degree day , and even after idling without electric fan , it got to 155 degrees ( I should add I do have 2 small holes drilled in stat ) I think if I installed a 160 stat , it would stay their . Those 2 each 1 inch tube Radiators do work .

Looking good.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodnutrandy View Post
    Had a motor problem (350 Chev. ) Took it out. .
    I recall you had issues last summer on the way back from a show...what went wrong with the engine? ps, what wheels are on your truck? regards, Junior

54 Champ C5 Hamilton car.

President Member

Problems with 350

Quote Originally Posted by junior View Post
    I recall you had issues last summer on the way back from a show...what went wrong with the engine? ps, what wheels are on your truck? regards, Junior
    Junior , We drove it to a show in Chillicothe , drove it back home (about a 90 mile round trip , no problems, next morning started it up and I had lost oil pressure to my upper valve train. Showed 55 Lbs. of oil pressure , but no oil to top end . Took motor out and tore it apart, all oil routes checked open and nothing found . All bearings looked good Since the oil to get to top end travels under the rear cam bearing, I decided to have it driven out to check under it. A bunch of grit was found under the cam bearing that had plugged off oil to top end . Cam bearings also showed wear . Don't know where it came from , but I think maybe running Castrol GTX might have not put enough Zink in motor to prevent wear. Changed to a oil with more Zink, changed cam to a grind to run better at lower RPMs ( overdrive tranny ) and milled .020 off heads to boost compression up to 9 to 1 , So far ,so good , time will tell. Wheels came from Newstalgia Wheel and are called unique super supreme , fronts are 15 x 6 ,rear are 15 x 8 . lug nuts , wheels and shipping from them was $708 .
    Last edited by rodnutrandy; 02-09-2015 at 01:05 PM. Reason: correction

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodnutrandy View Post
    Junior , We drove it to a show in Chillicothe , drove it back home (about a 90 mile round trip , no problems, next morning started it up and I had lost oil pressure to my upper valve train. Showed 55 Lbs. of oil pressure , but no oil to top end . Took motor out and tore it apart, all oil routes checked open and nothing found . All bearings looked good Since the oil to get to top end travels under the rear cam bearing, I decided to have it driven out to check under it. A bunch of grit was found under the cam bearing that had plugged off oil to top end . Cam bearings also showed wear . Don't know where it came from , but I think maybe running Castrol GTX might have not put enough Zink in motor to prevent wear. Changed to a oil with more Zink, changed cam to a grind to run better at lower RPMs ( overdrive tranny ) and milled .020 off heads to boost compression up to 9 to 1 , So far ,so good , time will tell. Wheels came from Newstalgia Wheel and are called unique super supreme , fronts are 15 x 6 ,rear are 15 x 8 . lug nuts , wheels and shipping from them was $708 .
    thought thats what those wheels were...good choice! regarding the chubby engine perhaps the cam drive gear and dizzy drive gear were not compatable materials? Since roller lifters have been popular some owners are having problems with wiping out these gears...I forget what goes with what but if you are unaware check with your cam supplier. cheers, junior
    Last edited by junior; 02-09-2015 at 04:16 PM.

54 Champ C5 Hamilton car.

President Member
    I vote thumbs up
    Joseph R. Zeiger

President Member
    Thanks for all the positive comments! I have a blast with the truck and usually don't see another (7 at the Owensville, Ohio Pumpkin Run ) . Just looking, I didn't show what I started with, a $99 M16 that had 320 lookers on ebay and I was the only bid. And drove 2000 miles round trip to get it. I was told if I hadn't bid, it would have been crushed, so don't feel bad about how I changed it!
    Randy Wilkin
    1946 M5 Streetrod
    Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

President Member
    Picture I took today at a car show , think truck took a good picture! shows added Haden side mirrors and Studebaker step plates on running board .
    Last edited by rodnutrandy; 01-12-2017 at 06:24 PM.

President Member
    Randy,
    Love the pic with the windmills in the background. Ditto everything Dick stated. You should be very proud of your accomplishment and judging from your "before" pics, you saved another Studie from China. Keep the pics coming.
    Cheers,
    Bill

President Member
    Thanks for all the positive comments , This page and Studebaker truck site was a big help in me finding parts and Gary Ash sent me drawings of bed , so I could get it close . Without the help I got and people that helped that did more than expected , it would have never came out this nice! Funny thing I have to tell you . Yesterday Oct. 22, went to a cruise in , they gave out trophies , I got most original . tells you how much is known about a Studebaker , Chevy shortened frame, Chevy drive train, Power Steering , Power Disc Brakes , Dakota Digital gauges , Air Conditioning ,Glass fenders that were never offered as 2 inch wider with small wheel cutout with home built bed and tailgate , magnaflow mufflers and headers And I get a most original trophy!
    Randy Wilkin
    1946 M5 Streetrod
    Hillsboro,Ohio 45133