Views:	1
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	1696957Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2324.jpg
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	1696958

Comment

It is not a bad drive up 66 north to Pontiac, IL, where the Rte. 66 Museum is located. I visited it again on way home from SB recently. One of the volunteers, Jim Jones, there is an SDC member. The Pontiac museum is also there.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by TX Rebel; 05-29-2015, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Route 66 will get a lot of press this summer. My wife and I are doing the Great American Tour June 18 - 28th in conjunction with the Great American Race, starting in Kirkwood MO and ending at the Santa Monica Pier, the end of Rte 66. Of the 25 cars on the tour, two are Avantis. Hugh Edfors will be driving the other Avanti. The tour, taking 10 days to get to CA has the lodging, tours of many Rte 66 attractions, festivals,evening car shows and all meals included. Gas and beer are the only items not included on the tour. The Great American Race is open to vintage (up to 1972) cars competing for some nice prize money for winning. This is the inaugural Great American Tour, limited to 25 vintage (up to 1980) cars, following roughly the same route but taking in all the attractions along the way, meeting and interacting with the race participants in the evenings.

We're planning on taking many pics and writing about the trip. We'll get the information about the trip and stops together in time for anyone from CA wanting to follow the route back to CA after the IM in August. We are planning a return through CO to see family and have a small family reunion just before July 4th. As its now 10 days from starting the tour, I'm anxious to get going on the tour.
        sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Wow that sounds like fun. Look forward to seeing your report.
          Pat Dilling
          Olivehurst, CA
          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Paul,
            I hope you get your Avanti back together in time to make the trip.
            Are you coming back from Colorado on I-80? If so check out the neat museum in Kearney, (NE part of town 3600 East HWY 30, next to Cabella's). 308+234-1964

Comment

Any further info on when leaving St. Louis, thanks.

Comment

We will probably leave sometime on Saturday Morning 8/22. We are still working on a plan for stops and times and will certainly look for input from the folks who join in.

Pat
                Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA
                Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

It was a very eventful trip home. I will be writing a story for Turning Wheels. I wrote one for the trip out to St Louis and stopped there because it was getting too long. I plan to make the Route 66 venture Part Two. Here's a teaser picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Conoco2.jpg
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	1700156
                  Jon Stalnaker
                  Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Wow, that is a fancy Conoco station. It almost dwarfs your beautiful car. Glad I got to see it in St. Louis and talk to you briefly.
                    "In the heart of Arkansas."
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Sdude, The Conoco station and U Drop Inn right behind it, located in Shamrock TX, was my favorite sight on the Great American Tour we did from St. Louis to Santa Monica in June. I don't know if there are any other stations as striking as that beautiful station is. Kudos to the local citizens and everyone else that helped restore the station, I think in 2006.
                      sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

It was stunning and we just "happened" upon it. I thought the color of my car looks great against the color of the building. I took a lot of pictures there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Conoco9.jpg
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1700179
                        Jon Stalnaker
                        Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Sdude, any color or make of car looks good with the station in the background! I consider the station one of the best sights along Rte 66.
                          sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by plwindish View Post
                            Sdude, any color or make of car looks good with the station in the background! I consider the station one of the best sights along Rte 66.
                            Just read your Route 66 story in The Strato-Vue. It was fun to see how many places we also saw. I was thinking as we were exploring how much better it would have been to take an organized tour led by those that knew all the cool places to stop. We totally winged it and still had a great time. Like they said in the books we read, you can do the mother road more than once and see new things each time.
                            Jon Stalnaker
                            Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Sdude. Do you have a lot of pictures or a video of Route 66? If you do please make a post of them here I think most would like to see it. Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                                Sdude. Do you have a lot of pictures or a video of Route 66? If you do please make a post of them here I think most would like to see it. Steve.
                                Look for the story in a future Turning Wheels. No videos as I am technologically challenged. I sent Ann a bunch of pictures but which ones and how many she publishes is entirely up to her. I may consider posting more after the story comes out but I want her to get the first choice. I do have a lot of pictures.
                                Jon Stalnaker
                                Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Working...
                                X