This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Route 66 return from St Louis

The Karel Staple Chapter is putting together a return trip from the St Louis meet and would like to invite our Southern California friends to join in the caravan. Anyone else that would like to join up as a partial participant are also welcome.

Our plans are just coming together so we would be interested in ideas. My only request is that we pass through every town in the song from St Louis to San Bernardino.

I would like to write a story for Turning Wheels about the trip.

Who's in?
    Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Way to promote Jon! We are actually starting out from the Sacramento area heading for St Louis. Tentative plan is to leave early Friday before the meet and arrive Monday afternoon in time to get settled and attend the Welcome event. Travelling I-80 with stops in Wendover and Cheyenne and then heading south with a stop Sunday night in Nebraska City. The way there will be long drives each day, but on the way back West on Rt 66 we will take our time and enjoy the Mother Road! Please join us for any part of the journey we would love to have a nice caravan of Studebakers! Come along and check Drive Route 66 in a Studebaker off you Bucket List!
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

On the way to the Glendale meet we got several pamphlets and a book and mapped out our route (I never realized that there were so many changes in the Route 66 "alignment") We thought we had it nailed... until we started trying to follow it on the road. Then we ended up at a little gas station in Missouri and met Gary Turner at the Gay Parita service station on Route 66 in Paris Springs, Missouri. Gary set us straight with a book that was easy to follow all the way from there to Flagstaff where we turned south. (right now I cannot find the thing... This was the first issue and it went from Chicago to the Pacific Ocean... a bit later the second edition came out going the other direction.) If I can find it, I will post the info on this link. DO NOT MISS THE STOP at the Gay Parita station!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sdude View Post
        The Karel Staple Chapter is putting together a return trip from the St Louis meet and would like to invite our Southern California friends to join in the caravan. Anyone else that would like to join up as a partial participant are also welcome.

Our plans are just coming together so we would be interested in ideas. My only request is that we pass through every town in the song from St Louis to San Bernardino.

I would like to write a story for Turning Wheels about the trip.

Who's in?
        Be sure to stop in Winslow, Arizona and drive one block over from westbound 66 to "Standin' On The Corner" Park on eastbound 66. While you're there drive a couple more blocks east and stop at the LaPosada Hotel, have lunch or dinner in the Turquoise Room, a little pricey, but fantastic menu and food.
        Be sure to read http://www.studebaker-info.org/Route66/tripticket.html, the story of our Potomac Chapter 6.000-mile trip in 2003. Then, Oklahoma and Arizona had the best attractions, but Route 66 has become popular enough that other states on the route have done more to recognize it. For example, just west of St Louis there is a nice Route 66 Museum right off I-44.
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Guys thanks for the info and the link to previous adventures. Deaf Mute I hope you can find the book information We would love to have that.

Pat
          Pat Dilling
          Olivehurst, CA

Comment

Pat,
            I am still looking! Perhaps Mama is right, I just may have too much stuff!

Comment

Just FYI, there is a very active Route 66 Association of Missouri. Their website is missouri66.org which contains links to other state associations and a lot of additional information.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Mute View Post
                On the way to the Glendale meet we got several pamphlets and a book and mapped out our route (I never realized that there were so many changes in the Route 66 "alignment") We thought we had it nailed... until we started trying to follow it on the road. Then we ended up at a little gas station in Missouri and met Gary Turner at the Gay Parita service station on Route 66 in Paris Springs, Missouri. Gary set us straight with a book that was easy to follow all the way from there to Flagstaff where we turned south. (right now I cannot find the thing... This was the first issue and it went from Chicago to the Pacific Ocean... a bit later the second edition came out going the other direction.) If I can find it, I will post the info on this link. DO NOT MISS THE STOP at the Gay Parita station!!!
                Hi all, We went to a memorial at Gay Parita several weeks ago for the gentleman that used to run the Gay Parita station and at that time his heirs were not sure they were going to keep the tradition going. I hope they do because it was a small but cool stop on route 66.

Comment

I have yet to find the Route 66 info I was looking for at home... But in the interest of the SDC and the folks at the Karel Staple Chapter, I drove to Victorville California (actually I am here visiting relatives) and I found the information you need.

Volume 1 Images of 66 by David Wicklineis the book you need. I am sure it is available on line. Another book (but in my opinion... not as good for following while on the road) is EZ66 Guide For Travels by Jerry McClanahan.
                  I just finished visiting with Sharon Foster of the VICTORVILLE OLD TOWN ROUTE 66 HISTORICAL SOCIETY.
                  When you figure out what day you will be in Victorville, contact her at sharonfosterav@gmail.com and she will put the welcome mat out for you. You could also call her at 760+553-3068. I told her to expect several interesting people with Studebakers!

When in Missouri, DO NOT MISS the Munger Moss Sandwich Shop at Devil's Elbow (just east of Ft. Leonard Wood), it is a bit of a bikers bar now, but great burgers & the ceiling full of bras is worth checking out (or adding to). Another neat stop to make in California is the Historic Summit Inn (5970 Mariposa Rd., Oak Hills, CA)... I had a great burger there a few years back & it is packed with historic photos, etc. For more California Rt66 info, check out www.route66CA.org
                  Duane Miller, SDC Director, Upper Mississippi Valley Zone
                  Last edited by Deaf Mute; 05-20-2015, 02:45 PM.

Comment

This picture was taken at Spencer, MO a few miles from the Gay Parita station. Be sure to stop here. The pavement in front of the station was poured in 1926 and still has the hand troll marks visible.
                    Gary Sanders
                    Nixa, MO

Comment

This picture was taken at the Gay Parita station. I don't think the gas price has gone up yet.

Gary Sanders
                      Nixa, MO

Comment

Originally posted by Gary1953 View Post
                        This picture was taken at the Gay Parita station. I don't think the gas price has gone up yet.

We'll have to make it point to stop here and top off our tanks.
                        Jon Stalnaker
                        Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

I saw a note indicating that perhaps the proprietor, Gary Tuner, has passed away & that the place may be up for sale... I DO NOT KNOW THIS TO BE A FACT Gary was one of the best spokesmen for old route 66!
                          Last edited by Deaf Mute; 05-21-2015, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Gary Turner did indeed pass away last year.
                            Gary Sanders
                            Nixa, MO

Comment

Duane and Gary, thanks so much for your information and going the extra miles on Route 66 to help us out. We are still looking for people to join in with us for all or any part of our journey. Going or coming back.

Pat

OK, I just found a used version of this book in good condition on Amazon, along with this one, Route 66: EZ66 Guide for Travelers, 2nd Edition. With these I think we will be able to sit down and plan a route with great stopping points.
                              Last edited by Pat Dilling; 05-21-2015, 04:12 PM.
                              Pat Dilling
                              Olivehurst, CA

Comment

Working...
                              X