Need a Class on Starters.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Need a Class on Starters.....

I downloaded the pic of the different starters for studebaker V8's and when I blew it up, I couldn't read it....
    Anybody got a decent one?

My problem is I've got a truck with a 59 hawk motor with FOM behind, and the starter kinda 'grinds' as it spins the engine slowly...

Mrs KC, remove your starter and examine the drive teeth closely, also the starter ring gear on the torque converter. lot of clues there. does it grind constantly as the t.c. turns or does it grind in spots? this is a ticklish area and may need you to take starter to Old Timey electrical shop for post mortem. Good Luck Doofus

Comment

It starts, doesn't 'grind' per se as you would expect to hear the grinding and no start condition.
      It engages the flywheel, but has a slow wierd kind of a 'grind' sound trying to start....
      I figure it's gone.

Comment

The bushing on the drive end of the starter can wear out and let the armature drag on the field pole shoes. This will cause a very heavy electrical load as well as a slow grinding starter. The bushing on the brush end almost never wears out.

Comment

Someone posted a picture of the different starters on here the other day, can it be reposted a little larger so I can download and read it?

I'll check the bushings etc, when I get the starter out.... Thanks!

Comment

Try right clicking it 3 times, sometimes the Pic is enlargeable, sometimes not. Depends on the process used to create it, usually a jpg works.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I can enlarge it, but the quality is terrible....
              Anybody got a HIGH Quality picture to send me?

Comment

Working...
              X