Studebaker Dealership at Anoka, Minnesota, Looking for Lawrence Burke the Owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Russ, I worked for Main Motors for a few years before I foolishly quit and moved out of state for several years. Bert and Lee Carlson owned Main Motors while I worked there. After I left, Bert split off and started Carlson Toyota. The two brothers inherited the dealership from their dad. Main Motors has been the same family owned business since it started back about 1910 or so. BTW Lee Carlson's daughter is Gretchen, who was Miss America, and is now a national news reporter. I'd never heard the story about Lawrence having any part of Main Motors. I wish I'd stayed in contact with Lawrence and bought more parts from him when I had the chance, but being out of state it was hard to do. I'd bet a lot of people bought Studebakers from Lawrence just because he was such a nice guy to deal with. Too bad I wasn't old enough to buy a new car back then. I wonder where all his Studebaker parts went? If you see a 1950 2 door Champion (surf grey) driving around Champlin or Anoka, it would be me.

Comment

Russ,he was a kind and very friendly gentleman for sure. I too wish I would have bought a new Studebaker from him but chose a new Chev from Main Motors at the time. Too soon old, too late smart. Like others who new him ,he is missed but not forgotten. old digger.

Comment

I owned a 1966 Cruiser that was sold new by Mr. Burke. I found it in Watertown, MN and got it back on the road. I knew the original owner, too. The car is now in Arkansas, owned by an older gentleman dedicated to his little flock of Studebakers. Google "1966 Studebaker Cruiser" and you'll see my car (a black one sitting in a driveway with green Minnesota grass behind it) on the first row of results.
          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

That would be Dick Clemens, I saw the car in South Bend on his way home in 2002, Dick is a super guy just like most Studebaker people.
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
              That would be Dick Clemens, I saw the car in South Bend on his way home in 2002, Dick is a super guy just like most Studebaker people.
              Yep. That's the car. It had a few issues, but was mostly a good car. The louvers in the back window I've never seen on any other 64-66 car.
              "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I never had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Burke but know that he was genuinely respected. Below is a photo of the mini-poster that was created for the 1994 International Meet in Minneapolis. The photo, taken by noted Twin Cities commercial photographer Steve McHugh, is of Mr. Burke's workbench.

If any of you in the area comes to our North Star Chapter meeting this Saturday (3/14), 11 a.m. at Latuff's Pizzaria in Plymouth, MN I will have one of these for you. Russ, if you cannot make the meeting PM me with your address and I will gladly send you one.

sigpic
                Bob Shaw
                Rush City, Minnesota
                1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
                "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

Bob, I would like a poster of Lawrence, and I also need to get signed up to join the Northstar chapter.
                  Since we still have salt on the roads I won't be driving my Stude though.

Comment

Russ, I sent you a PM and have tried calling you several times, but your mail box is always full. I have a poster of your great grandfather Lawrence Burke, and could drop it off, or you could pick it up, if we can get together. I just live a few blocks northeast of McDonald's, where 252 and 85th Ave. meet.

Comment

Studebaker.........make my day!
                      Today I was going to Target to use the Kodak machine to print a couple Studebaker pictures from digital. My 1999 Olds wouldn't start, so I had to drive my 1950 Land Cruiser. I pulled into the Target parking lot, and just as I got out of my car, two older women came running over and I heard one mention Studebaker. She was quite excited, and said her dad used to sell Studebakers. I asker her if that could be Lawrence Burke from Anoka, and she said yes. Then she saw the Studebaker cap I was wearing and got even more excited, and said I really made her day. It was a bad day for the Olds problem, but the Studebaker experience more than made up for it.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	1724202

Comment

Working...
                      X