Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

63 Hawk instrument cluster: how tough to remove?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: 63 Hawk instrument cluster: how tough to remove?

I'm looking at the shop manual, and it provides a couple of different procedures for removing the instrument cluster. Unfortunately, the procedures don't cover the K style bodies (e.g., my 63 Hawk GT). On some body styles (e.g., Y), it's a nightmare sequence of under-the-hood and under-the dash mechanical steps.

I'm hoping the procedure is something like:
    • remove the wires/hose/cable connections from each gauge
    • remove the restraining bolts / bracket from the back of each gauge
    • remove each of the gauges
    • remove the instrument cluster panel

You'll notice I'm not mentioning anything like removing / detaching the heater controls, parking brake, hood opener, steering column, structural braces, or air conditioning unit.

Does anybody have a clear recollection of how hard this is for a Hawk?

Please advise -- if it's not hard, I'd sure like to make improvements to the dashboard...but I don't want to even start if it's a huge effort.

I just replaced the overlay on our 63GT a few months ago, and its about as simple as you state. I recommend removing the speedo first, then you can access all the others by reaching through the speedo hole, which also provides more visibility. I'd also tag each wire upon removal, for easier re-connecting later.

Comment

Thank you! Let's hope someone as simple-minded as moi doesn't get stymied.

Comment

This portion of your post makes me wonder if you would like to remove the Complete Dash?
        If you disconnected all these items, it would be pretty easy and you would not have to disconnect all the gauges etc. to just disconnect the under hood items and remove the works, Harness and all.
        Quote:

"You'll notice I'm not mentioning anything like removing / detaching the heater controls, parking brake, hood opener, steering column, structural braces, or air conditioning unit.

Does anybody have a clear recollection of how hard this is for a Hawk?

Please advise -- if it's not hard, I'd sure like to make improvements to the dashboard...but I don't want to even start if it's a huge effort."
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I hope by, "instrument cluster panel" the OP was talking about the gauge panel, since its about 10 times as much a PITA to remove the entire dash. (BTDT for both of the above.)

Comment

All I'm trying to do is remove the instrument cluster, to do some improvements to the gauges and finish the metal (it's bare aluminum) so it looks nicer. So it's that ~6x20 metal piece that screws into the dash, not the entire dash. Planning to do engine turning on the metal, then put the gauges back in.

Comment

For those wanting to remove the entire '62-'64 dash:
              The difficult part is re installing w/out damaging the dash or interior. I painted mine while it was out and ended up w/ a few small scratches. Much, much easier (for access and moving around) w/ the front seats removed. Also, reattaching the wiring was a problem for a couple of VERY short wires - No room to look behind the dash while installing them (ended up replacing a burned wire - should have just added an extension to begin with).

PaulTK

Comment

I just recently removed all the guages from my 63 Hawk, no need to remove the instrument panel. I wanted to brighten them by installing LED's in each. It's no easy feat, much easier with the seats out, but removing the clock or speedo first makes it easier. I diagramed and marked every wire, be certain the battery is disconnected, easy to strike a live wire on something and fry the wire.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00991.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	1695108

Comment

Working...
                X