No announcement yet.

57 Commander in garage for 38 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you, I'm hoping to find decals at York, and proper location for them, after seeing a nicely painted engine I may be getting some engine paint also.
    Can anyone tell me did I waste my time reusing the spark-plug boots, does the boot in my photo look like an original?
    Thanks,
    Jay

Comment

Congrats on finding a Great car and knowing how to deal with an Old Stude.
      I have never seen a Stude. Newbie catch on so fast with almost no help from us at all... I am impressed.

I am sure it has something to do with having all those old MoPars around, as you knew right away how to deal with those VW, Old MoPar, Jeep, Stude. tapered Axles!

You did exactly the right thing with flushing and testing the Oil Circuits and lubing up the Engine for startup, good job!

This is way beyond even what most of us Old Timers in Studebakers do, myself I usually Oil the Cylinders, spin up the Oil pump, check for Oil at all Rockers, give it a 180 turn, pump more Oil through it and call it good to Start.

Yes the Spark Plug Boots ARE original, however the Old rubber insulation is too old after 58 Years, to prevent spark loss, they may light up like a Christmas Tree at Night! It is best to get fresh New Packard 440 Copper or Radio Resistant Cables with fresh insulation custom made to fit out of the Box from a Stude. Vendor.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 02-24-2015, 12:55 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thank you StudRich, I was going to thank you a week or so ago when I was rebuilding the fuel pump I had already filed the fuel pump housing on the side opposite where the pump-arm pivot-pin plug is located looking for a parting line. I wasn't sure but figured a hole had to be drilled. I did a search for fuel pumps and found your post about drilling a hole and I wasn't using much of a punch and found out about getting it stuck.
        I had looked in quite a few books and they all say to remove the pivot pin but I could find no mention of drilling a hole.
        The flexible fuel line from the frame to the pump just about shattered (have a new one) but I have been handling the spark-plug boots and they are nice and pliable yet so I gotta use them, and I already have the wires ready. I will check it on a dark night maybe I'll have something to show the Grandsons.
        There are similarities with the chrysler products in greasing the rear axle bearings also.
        I shouldn't complain about winter here in PA when I see what others are getting but I am getting antsy to be able to work on the Commander.
        I just finished reading the book "More Than They Promised" and after giving the clean valve covers a good inspection I think Studebaker went out of business because it cost them so much just to make the valve covers. There are quite a few parts and welds involved there when compared most other valve covers.
        Thanks,
        Jay

Comment

Originally posted by luckydog View Post
          Thank you, I'm hoping to find decals at York, and proper location for them, after seeing a nicely painted engine I may be getting some engine paint also.
          Can anyone tell me did I waste my time reusing the spark-plug boots, does the boot in my photo look like an original?
          Thanks, Jay
          Jay, you might pre-order the decals from Studebaker International to bring them to York for you. That way, you know they'll be there and no shipping/handling charge if you pick them up in person at York. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks for the advise I put an order in this morning.
            Jay

Comment

Jay,
              I just stumbled on your thread here.
              This is Joe Cocuzza from Stroudsburg,Pa.
              I know you are aware that I just recently was lucky enough to get 2 (1959 & 1960) Larks.
              I have not been able to do too much with them as winter has been tough and I cannot move the cars around until the snow clears.
              Anyway, nice car.
              BTW, Roger Dacey says hi and he will be at York on Saturday. I want to go but not sure if I'll make it

Joe

Comment

6 2 and even, I'll be there.
                I have a bright red "Checkered Flag Fan Club" jacket I have never worn before because I will stand out in a crowd. Something I wasn't sure I wanted to happen during the years I raced.
                So if anyone sees a bald headed guy with a gray beard and red jacket it might be me unless everyone else decides on the same outfit.
                Jay
                Last edited by luckydog; 02-26-2015, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Hello, This is a commander update. Ken delivered to me one rear window for the commander and I got a new rubber. Reading the shop manual on rear window showing the men with rubber mallets makes me wary. I am thinking about farming the installation out but worry about the experience of the shop with this type installation.
                  The valve covers are painted, the valves all checked good, I need to get number one up to TDC and get the distributor in it's proper location. The fuel pump, carburetor, distributor and wires, water pump have to be installed and then we get a battery in there and see what happens
                  I spent very little time on the rear seat using the can of cleaner shown(it is so old it had no "schpritz" and I had to poke a hole in the can, don't do this at home) a fingernail brush and a dull knife scraped sideways.
                  The hubcaps are as good as i can get them and i let all those parts on the trunk hoping those guys that live in the tree and make cookies show up.
                  Jay

Comment

You have turned a derelict into a prince of a car-congratulations on your progress.
                    Bill

Comment

Thank you there is a lot of work ahead but it is mostly cleaning and replacing parts and now that the warmer weather is on the way hopefully work will progress at a faster rate. The polishing of the paint I do by hand to keep the air compressor silent so that takes a bit longer than it should but I don't pay myself.
                      Jay

Comment

The Commander is now a vehicle with a running engine and transmission that seems to be working, the car is on jackstands.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo04031556.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	1696136Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo04031525_1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	1696137
                        Tomorrow start on the brakes and today I also talked to the glass installation place and he is ready when I am ready.
                        All the heater hoses need replacing and that is quite an arrangement.
                        Happy Easter,
                        Jay

Comment

Hello, the Commander's rear brakes are in place and has a new master cylinder, the rear mounting bolt for the master cylinder fought all the way out. The front brakes are next. Each day after doing mechanical work I play for a bit cleaning things.

The masking tape is impossible. I have the right front fender cleaned a bit but no photos.
                          I have been firing it up every day and letting it run until warm, all the gauges work, no turn signals but I haven't looked under the dash yet.
                          I saw some Goodyear radials at Walmart that were reasonably priced and looked like a good size, I believe I will take them five wheels.
                          Jay

Comment

The Commander is off the jackstands temporarily and went for a few rides around our property totaling about three miles. Everything in the driveline seems to be working OK, now I need to make a tailpipe and do some rust repair, then it gets new tires and the rear window installed.

Jay

Comment

You are extremely lucky the paint was in such great condition under all that grime. My '57 Clipper came from SOCAL so the paint was virtually non existent. You have done a fine job restoring the old girl.
                              Bill

Comment

Thank you, the paint is coming back nicely(original driver quality, of course), I try to make what is there as nice as I can. The rt. front body mount needs replacing as it isn't doing any supporting, the left front is in fine shape and I will use that for reference.
                                With some more cleaning and polishing it will much better but there are many bruises that will remain.
                                I am looking forward to posting before and after photos of the cleaning but there hasn't been much cleaning time available.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo04251557_1.jpg
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1696527Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo04251557_2.jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	1696528
                                Looking forward to posting(soon) the after photos of these.

Comment

Working...
                                X