57 Commander in garage for 38 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
    It's really too bad that Studebaker (and all other car makers of the era) did such a non-existant job of rustproofing the backsides of the sheet metal. Twenty bucks worth of zinc chromate primer on the backsides, and cars like this would be rust free. And if they'd spent another twenty bucks per car on exterior acrylic enamel (which was available at the time), cars stored like this would still have pristine bodywork.

Not a knock against Studebaker. All car mfrs at the time thought saving $40 per car was well worth it.

Sit in on a 1950s Ford, GM, Chrysler, SP cost analysis. "$40 per car? Are you nucking futts? Sell the damned things. Three years for now, sell them another one."
    Reminds me of Bob Bourke telling me that the mechanism for the rear quarter windows in K bodies was cost reduced by 50 cents each. The company did not want to spend $1 per car for a better mechanism.
    It isn't that people did not know how to make better cars. As you said, they were built for three years use by the original owner. As it was, Studebaker's build cost was much higher than it was for the big 3.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Didn't we just recently see some nickel & dime cost-cutting with GM over a bunch of ignition switches??

Craig

Comment

Nice one! Always refreshing to see the less popular Studebakers such as your 57 Commander receive their just due. I may get myself a sedan soon as well!
        Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Congratulations on your find!
          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
          X