No announcement yet.

57 Commander in garage for 38 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow! I too find this model compelling. Those fins and that incredible dash. Sure says fifties in a cool way! Awesome find...T.J.

Comment

Went to the auto store for fluids and asked them ask the computer what might be available for a 57 Studebaker Commander.
      I had a transmission pan gasket the next morning, they had a master cylinder in stock, and the wheel cylinders and brake hoses will be there tomorrow. Today it is supposed to be in low 50's F tomorrow in the 20's that is winter in PA.
      Draining the converter I learned One should mark the front pulley or dampener in order to quickly turn the engine 180 degrees. Having distributed a quart of ATF between the eight cylinders before turning by way of a screwdriver through the bellhosing hole, ATF was raining from above and also from the converter, so I didn't really turn the engine the 180 degrees quickly, it was more like wait until the deluge stops then start turning. I did a quick cleaning of the dashboard the other day and it is beeyouteefull. My Father and I shampooed carpets way back and some no matter how hard you tried there just wasn't a noticeable difference, others gave a great feeling of accomplishment when the colors would become bright again, Resurrecting autos that have been forgotten gives me that same feeling.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo01031122.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	1694969Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo01031122_1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	1694970Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo01031123.jpg
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	1694971These photos aren't too good light overhead lights were very cold and dim. Does anyone reproduce the front floor mat or the trunk mat. The trunk mat was intact until I breathed on it and it shattered like a piece of glass.
      The paint on the hood is going to be the toughest to get nice, I am thinking flat black with a "Ramcharger Hood Scoop" and a big Stromberg two barrel sticking through the hood, just kidding, but I did think it.
      Gotta hang up the suit and put the work clothes on and get something done, Jan. 8th I'm scheduled to have a new Grandson, he will be our fourth grandchild, all boys. I'm hoping one of them is going to have the car bug and I kinda hope it's street cars and not racecars as I spent too many hours repairing wrecked stockcars.
      Jay

Comment

Congrats Lucky Dog-a terrific find and it looks as though it is now in the right hands. Your resto work is superb. My '57 Clipper wagon was also intended to be only presentable and driveable. Unfortunately that was about $10,000.00 ago. I have no regrets and I'm sure it will be stunning when I'm finished. Already the stainless and fresh superb paint makes it a real standout.

Good luck and keep us posted with your pics.
        Bill

Comment

From the first pictures it looks to me like that back window could not have been broken too long ago - certainly not 38 years ago. The top of the back seat is way too clean to have been uncovered in that garage for 38 years.
          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Nice job cleaning it up so far. It Looks like you found yourself a great car!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
              From the first pictures it looks to me like that back window could not have been broken too long ago - certainly not 38 years ago. The top of the back seat is way too clean to have been uncovered in that garage for 38 years.
              Scott they had taped plastic over the broken window and that must have been on the car for a while, it laid on the garage floor beside the car. The seat was very dusty I would smack it with my hand and make dust clouds, I rode in the car while we flat towed it to my shop and was tapping about on the front seat most of the wayClick image for larger version

Name:	Photo12271317.jpg
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1694976the dust went right out the window. There was not much dust on the roof or trunk either the hood took the beating, had to do with the ceiling in the garage.
              Originally I was told the car was parked because of the window being broken but later was told that "He thinks something may have been wrong with the car" and it was parked behind their house then the window got broken. I believe they covered the window and let it sit outside for a short while before moving it inside but it could not have been for long.
              In Pennsylvania cars had to be inspected twice a year, this car was inspected on May 24, 1976 with the inspection running out in January 31, 1977. The mileage at time of inspection was 47,214 miles it now shows 52,834, so the car was driven quite a bit and I am thinking it may have been parked either due to the lack of a tailpipe(a 57 Studebaker tailpipe would have been tough to find for the "average Joe" back then, Muffler shops were not as plenty around here) or the rust above the headlights(inspection stations were tough on rust) especially visible rust.
              Big question, How does one remove 38 year old masking tape, it is hard as concrete, laughs at lacquer thinner, hot-soapy water did little. I got some vinegar but haven't tried it yet.
              Rather cold today but I might get the transmission pan installed, I am very glad I dropped that as the screen was loaded with "liver". I took a photo of one of the tubes inside the transmission it looks like someone was persuading it, there are no dents in the transmission pan.Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo01041409.jpg
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	1694977Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo01041408.jpg
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	1694978
              Jay

Comment

Thanks, Jay. That makes sense. I like the view out the rear window: nice and clear! Good luck with the car. I'm sure you'll keep us updated.

I don't know about the masking tape. WD-40 does so much, you might give that a try.
                "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Always great seeing a ride come back to life.

Here's something helpful with available parts, etc. vendors:

Comment

Very well done with reporting and pics .. Makes for a very interesting read .. Hope you continue . What a great find .. Thanks
                    Love my Lark

Comment

Hello out there I haven't done much to the Studebaker due to the winter becoming like winter, but I removed the carburetor, distributor, fuel pump, valve covers and had them at home to work on. The carb, distributor, and fuel pump are ready to install, I need to paint the valve covers, what finish should they have.
                      Before the snow hit I made a tool to turn the oil pump and pumped oil through the engine, I had removed the oil-pressure sending unit, the oil-filter cannister and lines and the oil-pressure relief valve. As I got clean oil I blocked up the openings starting with the pressure relief valve and ending with the oil filter port on the left front. Then I continued priming and turning the engine via the fan blade until I saw fresh oil at the rockers, while doing this an oil pressure gauge was showing about 50-55. I covered the valve train with newspapers and went home.
                      I bought the production order sheet from the Studebaker Museum and got the key numbers for our car, I gave the numbers to a friend and he cut me keys, I was so excited I had to walk to the shop yesterday to try them and now have working keys, that's a load off the mind. I took the plug wires from the car apart, the wire is still good but the terminals were only crimped on and there was some evidence of corrosion, I used the boots and terminal ends over the only thing I soldered the ends on. Looking at the spark-plug boot can anyone tell if these are the original boots?
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo02171550.jpg
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1695560 Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo02171537.jpg
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	1695559Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo02181454.jpg
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	1695561
                      Thanks,
                      Jay

Comment

I just ran across your thread today, nice car , and a great story. I too was interested in Mr Hahn's Sky Hawk. Sometime after it was sold at the estate auction, it was sold on ebay,the engine had been freed up, and i believe it was drivable at that time. Next it appeared as a featured auction car at the Carlisle PA Swap Meet. I believe it now is in the collection of the individual who started Ames Performance, which is one of the largest Pontiac Muscle Car parts suppliers. This collection consists mostly of original, low mileage, original paint vehicles, including the New 58 Chevy Cameo pickup from the Lambrecht Chevrolet Dealership Auction in Nebraska They are located in New Hampshire. I hope you find this of interest.

Tom T

Comment

Thank you very much for that information, in reflecting it is good I didn't get the car, it would have 50,000 on the odometer by now and I would have had to drive it on a terribly rough road that leads to my shop, its better off where it is.
                          Thanks,
                          Jay

Comment

In a previous post I mention that I had keys cut from the numbers recorded on the Production order sheet, the keys were made using a key cutter and not a "key copier" that most people are familiar with.
                            I just wanted to clarify as to how the keys were made, a friend has two different style key cutters and the books to cross reference the numbers to identify what blanks to use and the depth of the cut, there is a screw affair to advance the cutter for the correct spacing of the cuts or notches.
                            Just thought I would get that information out there, I would presume most lock-smiths would have this capability.
                            My other options were to remove the door lock or ignition lock and I didn't want to mess with the door panel as they never seem to go on as good as they were originally especially working with old clips and fiber door panels, and after I felt up under the dash as to what was involved with the ignition switch I didn't want to look.
                            I feel it was worth the expense in getting the production order sheet, but get the shop manual first.
                            Jay

Comment

Hello, i need to paint the valve covers for our 57 259, I searched and found a photo of trim333's car, very nice, and the valve covers look glossy. Is glossy the correct finish?
                              Thanks,
                              Jay

Comment

Originally posted by luckydog View Post
                                Hello, i need to paint the valve covers for our 57 259, I searched and found a photo of trim333's car, very nice, and the valve covers look glossy. Is glossy the correct finish?
                                Thanks, Jay
                                Yes, Jay; it is.

Be sure to save the original Sweepstakes 259 rocker arm "decals" if you can. If not, good reproductions are available from Studebaker International. BP
                                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                                X