Stolen !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stolen !!

A friend of mine went out to his garage a few months back to find someone had stolen the radiator grille from his 1919 Special. Anybody have one ?

Somebody out there restoring a 1919 Studebaker, or they were just looking for metal to scrap?
    Man that makes me mad everytime I hear about something like this. Don't people teach their children not to steal? My dad once made me return a newspaper I had taken from a paper dispenser box in front of a store. I was very young and had no idea I was supposed to pay for it. I thought my dad would be pleased. Boy, did I learn a lesson.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Copper & brass sells at salvage yard; money converts to AOD (alcohol or other drugs). The victim probably should look around for anything else made of semi-precious metal that may also be missing, including plumbing & gas pipes. Sad situation, but all too common.

Comment

I too had some parts stolen from a shed last year and checked several recycling facilities for over a week. One yard said they never saw the stuff as well as the guys working in the yard itself. They did allow me to snoop and I was able to find two six cylinder rear drums. I know they were mine because they had my marks on them! I asked for them back and if I had to buy them. They were sorry about my loss and said to take them. Too bad I couldn't find my other parts. These places don't help us even though they require an ID. They need a more detailed manifest so they ( the Police ) can nail these guys. As with the grille- the parts are worth more than the scrap value. Sorry for your loss-strange things happen, maybe something will turn up.
        Rob in PA.

Comment

That's a shame. At the dealer I work at we had the catalytic converters stolen off ten brand new trucks. At the time those converters were bringing $100 each for scrap. Two cats per truck so they made off with $2k. They used cordless tools and left all the nuts, bolts, and gaskets neatly under the trucks.

Comment

I have seen a roof top unit gutted for the copper lines and coils and even saw the wiring stolen out of a barn once. It is amazing the effort put in on the barn job, they even melted the insulation off of the wire in the barn owners own fire pit!

Comment

So sorry for your loss. Will be a long reach to find another 1919 radiator grill! Maybe the thieves didn't scrap it, look on craigslist and other automotive publications for one popping up for sale. Who knows, worth a shot.
              sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
              Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
              "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by stude1964 View Post
                I too had some parts stolen from a shed last year and checked several recycling facilities for over a week. One yard said they never saw the stuff as well as the guys working in the yard itself. They did allow me to snoop and I was able to find two six cylinder rear drums. I know they were mine because they had my marks on them! I asked for them back and if I had to buy them. They were sorry about my loss and said to take them. Too bad I couldn't find my other parts. These places don't help us even though they require an ID. They need a more detailed manifest so they ( the Police ) can nail these guys. As with the grille- the parts are worth more than the scrap value. Sorry for your loss-strange things happen, maybe something will turn up.
                Rob in PA.
                Rob, which yard was this? Here in Easton area? I've never had a problem but I read crap like this and I feel like wiring my garage doors with 10000 volts (and a remote to shut it off with). I have my Lark along with my Mercedes 380SL in there. And often wonder if I'll ever be sadly shocked (no pun intended)

George

Comment

Not the first time I've heard of a collectible item being stolen and sold for scrap. Imagine someone stealing that grill shell and getting $20 at the scrap yard. I would give them $50 to leave it.

Ok, that's not true. If I found them in my garage I would give them semi precious metals instead

Sorry world nowadays.

Comment

It's not quite the same, but I do feel your pain.
                    Just about a week ago someone tried to steal my 2000 U-Haul box van.
                    They didn't get it, but they sure made a mess tryin' to.

Then this morning I learn of a friend in Arizona who had his SceniCruiser stolen!!!
                    Can you imagine? What do they plan to do with that?

(BTW-- If anyone sees one on a flatbed- let me know)

StudeDave '57
                    StudeDave '57
                    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                    SDC Member since 1985

past President
                    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                    San Diego Chapter SDC
                    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Ammo (lead) is expensive, there will be no warning shot!
                      Carey
                      Packard Hawk

Comment

Sorry for your loss. Things like this just P*** me off. A friend of mine worked for a power company and they had a power outage. When they went to check on it some fool had tried to cut a tranformer off a hot wire and almost fried himself. He was still alive so they call 911. Guy ended up in a wheelchair and got 90 days probation for trying to steal the wire and sued the power company for getting hurt on their land and ended up with millions. He said if they had only known they would have fixed what he messed up and drove off.

Comment

Talking about stolen items from your car: Were the wind deflector screens stolen off a '36 (I think) while outside the national meet hotel in Glendale Az ever found?
                          Matt
                          Brisbane
                          Australia
                          sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

Back in `96 my brother and I were looking to move our business. We went to look at a really neat property here in Pasadena, an old Beaux Arts building that once housed a commercial laundry. When we arrived, the realitor handed us flash lights, the 45,000 sq ft buiding had been stripped of its wiring the week previous. The little bastards had been really clever, placing the switch and outlet plates back in place so no one would notice while casually walking through the larger, naturally lit rooms. Did I mention the ciruits were still hot! Drugs will do that to you.

Comment

Originally posted by 57pack View Post
                              So sorry for your loss. Will be a long reach to find another 1919 radiator grill! Maybe the thieves didn't scrap it, look on craigslist and other automotive publications for one popping up for sale. Who knows, worth a shot.
                              Hopefully it will turn up, like the 1911 EMF that was stolen and recovered a couple of years ago. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ht=stolen+1911

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X