No announcement yet.

Now for something completely different - Russian Custom Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob, don't you dare do that to my old Commander!....or I'll do the same to your old Hawk.
    Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
    the hood is 52, I for some reason can not open the link but see some of the pictures posted them self, a year ago I sold a guy a 55 hardtop and when I delivered it he showed me his custom 52 truck he was doing, in my oppion it is something Studebaker should have done.

I think he said it will powered by a 471 Cad.
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Comment

Don't worry Lou, the 52 hardtop is safe as it is my pride and joy, I love the 52's thanks for making it happen for me to own such a nice perfect car...Bob
      Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

The Russian car is a nice job although the styling features are a mix of eras. IMHO The squarish headlight bezels would look better on a later car than a 52.

The custom truck is really cool. At the point the pictures left off, the only thing I don't care for is the oversize Studebaker logo on the tail gate and maybe how squared off the back of the cab is.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Now that's certainly different. Kind of grows on you.

Comment

I like it!
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I agree that this modification is very thoughtfully designed and apparently well executed. I don't think that it is an improvement on the iconic Bob Bourke design but who knows what this guy had to work with. Maybe the front end was crumpled up? If you've seen any of the Russian dash-cam footage on Youtube, you know the Russian body repair shops must stay very busy. By the way Chris, in my thoroughly unbiased opinion, four door sedans, while not as valuable or sought after, are every bit as stylish as two-door cars!
              John
              1950 Champion
              W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
              Holdrege NE

Comment

Kinda brings back memories of certain taxi's when I was a kid...
                Click image for larger version

Name:	GasVolgaM21.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	1693097
                They were also made to run over rough grounds.

Comment

I really like this thing. Someone apparently had great skills and not a bad eye. It still has Studebaker steering and suspension, but perhaps a power steering box?

Alas! Let us all buy Volgas for power steering boxes!
                  Last edited by Ron Dame; 12-04-2014, 02:31 PM.
                  Ron Dame
                  '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
                    I really like this thing. Someone apparently had great skills and not a bad eye. It still has Studebaker steering and suspension, but perhaps a power steering box?

Alas! Let us all buy Volgas for power steering boxes!
                    Ron, I don't see a power steering box. I do see a power steering drag link from the pitman arm to the bell crank.
                    Jerry Forrester
                    Forrester's Chrome
                    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

I wonder if the headlight wipers on the Russian job are off a Mercedes? Interesting touch. Along with that oversized rubber-baby-buggy-bumper.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                        Is that really a Studebaker or a Russian built clone? There is that little character line at the rear of the roof where it overhangs the door, is that Studebaker? This looks too complete and consistent to be a backyard custom.
                        I see now there is Studebaker commander script on the hood....so the clone idea is probably not valid. Very nice body work.
                        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                        X