New complete T5 Conversion kit available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: New complete T5 Conversion kit available

I've been trying to figure out how to obtain a complete conversion kit for my '62 4 speed Hawk so I dont have to experiment trying to get parts to fit. Phil Harris of Fairborn Studebaker (937-878-1576) has agreed to produce a complete conversion kit allowing those of us with GM ( Chev ) pattern bell housings to install a Ford T5 into our cars. Phil is engineering an adaptor plate to include in a new kit, just like the one he took over from Dan Gibb and is now selling for Ford pattern bell housings and at the same price ( about $435.00). This new kit will allow you to do a direct "bolt-in" without having to search for parts or machine parts. The kit comes with machined steel front bearing retainer, correct pilot bushing and machined throw-out bearing. He will also include the needed Ford 10 1/2" clutch disc if you desire. This kit, plus a Ford T5 output yoke, modified drive shaft ( probably will need to be shortened and the Ford T5 yoke installed ) , a speedometer cable with the correct speedo drive gear, (available custom built from venders on Ebay) and modifying the clutch mounting bracket to fit the T5 should be all you'll need to install a Ford T5 from any mid 80's to early 90's SBF into your car if you have dreaded the GM bolt pattern.

Dean, will the adaptor fit both non-world and world class T5s? Thanks. Dan

Comment

If Phil is doing it, you can count on it being exactly as described. If he cannot do something right, he doesn't do it all

Comment

Why does the clutch mounting bracket get changed? I've never worked with a GM pattern arrangement.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

That's good news.

If you haven't read sbca96's thread about putting a 5 speed in an Avanti you should start there first. Even though it is an Avanti a lot of it should apply to Hawks as well.

Comment

yes, Im very familiar with mustang T5's. the external dimensions and mounts are the same, the bearings and internals are beefier in a world class

Comment

the mount is attached to the T10 tranny, when you install a T5 you have to adapt it to fit the T5

Comment

if you have dreaded the GM bolt pattern.
                And here all this time I thought the GM bolt pattern housing was the more rare and desirable and the Ford pattern the dirt-common and dirt-cheap one.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

I would prefer to have the more common and dirt cheap ford pattern bell housing instead of a 2 year only "rare" bell housing which limits my choices. the problem I was having was phil harris told me to stay away from the s10 t5 as it wasn't made to handle a v8. there are of course GM v8 t5's but they are way more expensive then the mustang t5 which are everywhere and cheap. Also, I found out it was hard to find someone who could tell me the exact year and model GM v8 T5 I should be looking as they are I guess different depending on application.I dont know as I have zero experience with anything GM. On the other hand, any mustang T5 will work, including the 4 cyl ones as they are all the same (dimensionally) the only dimensional difference between the v8, 6 cylinder and 4 cylinder Ford T5 is the end of the input shaft diameter which requires a different pilot bushing, that gives me over 10 production years of mustang/ford/mercury/tbird trannys which are dimensionall all the same to find a good one from. A GM T5 still needed a bunch more machining ( front bearing retainer. TO bearing etc) and the nearest machine shop to me is 30 miles away. Additionally, a new clutch disc because of the different splines on the input shaft, a mustang T5 is the same as the 4 speed in my Hawk so no change needed. I dont have to drop the bell housing with the ford t5 all I need to do is install the new pilot bushing cap onto ther input shaft, install the modified TO bearing ( both supplied with the kit) install the supplied machined front bearing retainer use the adaptor plate and its in. BTW, I'll be selling the T10 4 speed and shifter as soon as I get the T5 in. So if anyone out there wants a complete 4 speed set up make me an offer, it has only 68K miles and shifts great, no noises, groans or leaks.

Comment

then why not sell the chevy pattern bell housing, buy a dirt cheap ford pattern bell housing, dial it in and put a mustang t5 in it?
                    sigpic
                    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

So if anyone out there wants a complete 4 speed set up make me an offer,
                      Originally posted by junior View Post
                      then why not sell the chevy pattern bell housing, buy a dirt cheap ford pattern bell housing, dial it in and put a mustang t5 in it?
                      That, plus most wanting to buy the Chevy-pattern T10 will need the matching bellhousing in order to use it.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

Jack, my hawk has the chevy pattern bell housing

Comment

Junior, I have absolutely no desire, nor the correct tools to dial in a bell housing.

Comment

PM has been sent.
                            1950 Commander Land Cruiser
                            1951 Champion Business Coupe
                            1951 Commander Starlight
                            1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
                            1953 Champion Starlight
                            1953 Commander Starliner
                            1953 2R5
                            1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
                            1957 Silver Hawk
                            1957 3E5 Pick-Up
                            1959 Silver Hawk
                            1961 Hawk
                            1962 Cruiser 4 speed
                            1963 Daytona Convertible
                            1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
                            1965 Cruiser
                            1970 Avanti

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                              And here all this time I thought the GM bolt pattern housing was the more rare and desirable and the Ford pattern the dirt-common and dirt-cheap one.jack vines
                              I'll go with Rare, Jack but more desirable?
                              I don't think so, UNLESS you happen to be unlucky enough to be stuck with a '61 or '62 T-10 Four Speed Trans. without the Housing.

And as you know, the only reason the Ford Pattern Clutch housing is available and cheap, is that is was used on all the later T-86 3 Speeds.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X